Skip to main content

Office 356 Backup

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 4

I am backing up to the cloud using the default scheme of 6 months, 4 weeks, and 7 days. Can someone please explain the step by step process that Acronis True Image 2020 uses? I know the initial backup is a full backup and the second backup is incremental. What happens after 7 days, after each week, and after each month. What exactly does the clean up step do after each of the above backups. The documentation is not clear enough for me.

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Star
Comments: 3124

Ray, I confused by the thread name. Is this related to the other thread you created - Office 365 Backup?

If you are doing an ordinary backup to Acronis Cloud, then the initial backup is a full backup and subsequent backups are incremental. The speed of the backup depends on the speed of your connection - if you have a fast cable connection such as the one I have it can be quite speedy (a few hours) - I have a 95/35 Mbps connection. The critical speed is the upload speed with invariably is much slower than the download speed. I used to have upload speed of 2Mbps and it took several days to do an initial backup of my system SSD, then I got 5Mbps upload and the time halved. These speeds are not controlled by Acronis, they are imposed by you internet service provider.

Ian

Forum Hero
Comments: 8281

Yup, cloud backups are 1 full (the original backup), followed only by incrementals for life.  In theory, every backup after the original full should be much smaller and take much less time to backup to the cloud after that.

However, that's not always the case as it depends on how much data has changed since the last backup ran.  If you've added new disks and are backing up "entire pc", changed the partition layout of a disk in the backup, defragment the disk regularly, or have had a large change in files (say a major Windows 10 update or have copied files/folders or renamed them), then you will be backing all that data up again, even though it's an incremental.

When it's time for cleanup, the oldest version(s) of the same files/folders in the backup will be discarded.  For example.  If you backup a file each day, and you edit that file every day, there will be a different version of it every time the backup runs.  When the cleanup runs, it will discard the oldest version of the file, but leave you all of the other versions since then.

Word of advice... I hope you have a local backup too.  Never rely on just one backup... that , plus the Cloud is so much slower than local backups for backup and recovery.  It's great as a fallback, especially for disaster recovery in case you lose your local/primary drive and/or local/primary backups, but there is no such thing as a perfect backup since all hardware/software is susceptible to malware, failure, etc.  

3-2-1 is the golden backup rule... 3 copies of data, at least 2 backups and 1 of those offsite.

Beginner

I am not having any problems with backups of local data on my computer to the Acronis cloud. I am having never ending problems using Online Dashboard on acronis.com. Under Resources and Microsoft Office 365, i'm backing up my entire OneDrive to the cloud specifying to keep monthly for 6 months, weekly for 4 weeks, and daily for 7 days. So, day 1 I get a full backup. Day 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 I get an incremental backup.

What happens on day 8? Do I get a full backup representing week 1? Does the cleanup process delete the original bull backup and the 6 incremental backups?

What happens when month 2 starts? Etc. In other words, when to I get full backups, when do i get incremental backups, and when are backups deleted.

I'm asking because the documentation is not very clear to me AND because as soon a the cleanup process started running after a backup, the clean up process has failed every time on an "internal error". Backups are also randomly failing on an "internal error". I've submitted support tickets and every one I've dealt with seems to have very little knowledge about the Microsoft Office 365 part of Acronis. No one can even tell me how to cancel the backup and start over. Their first suggestion was to click the Cancel button but there ISN'T a Cancel button. It seems to take forever to get a response on a ticket. I am totally frustrated with not being able to get backups of my Microsoft Office 365 OneDrive to the Acronis cloud. I've asked them to reset my account so I could just start over and I have not gotten a response.

At this point I'm wondering if I'll never get this to work. Does anyone have any recommendations for an alternative vendor?

Forum Star
Comments: 3124

Thanks for the clarification of the issue. I am not aware that there are similar issues for me. However, I do not use OneDrive in a serious way and have local backups of my emails (multiple accounts).

I agree that the documentation is woeful. It would not surprise me if those implementing the process did not anticipate that users may want to stop the process.

It looks to me that there is something seriously wrong here; as Technichal support are not being helpful, it may be a good idea to send PM (Private Message) to Renata Gubaydullina who is the product manager for ATI.

Ian

Beginner

Good idea. I'll let you know what I hear from Renata.

Regular Poster
Comments: 432

I agree with Bob,

3 backup copies: 1 Local, 1 Offsite and 1 (maybe in a cloud)

I say "maybe" because I trusted the cloud once and put a single backup copy there...

BIG , STUPID mistake on my part.  When I needed it the most, everything was down... Internet sporadic, cloud inaccessible and everything turned into a can of worms.  Never again will I trust the cloud to be available.

My local HD and Offsite HD is always available.  Too many variables with 3rd party storage.

Steve F.

Beginner

Still no luck with tech support or Renata. I could certainly to stupid to understand this product, but right now it really feels like a beta release product that is not ready for prime time.