Skip to main content

"Rename" feature for backups - need your opinion

Thread needs solution
Regular Poster
Comments: 418

Hello everyone,

As many of you know, our new .tibx archive type have no "rename" feature in Acronis True Image 2020.
To make it most comfortable for your usage, we would like to understand how and why you are using it.

If you have time, please, direct message me your contact details (phone number or email, as you prefer to be contacted) for a small 10-15 minute chat to understand your usage of this feature.

Thank you in advance!

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 8266

In addition to what others may provide directly via PM, here are some generic scenarios we see in the forums quite a bit.  In the 2019 and earlier versions, these aren't issues, because you can just rename them as needed.  Now that the rename feature is missing in 2020, it adds additional workload on the end-user if they do need to rename the backup.  For example:

01) The user is not aware of the need (or how) to name the backup on first creation of a backup and the backup is set with a generic name that they don't like.  They don't realize the output name until after the backup is complete. Currently, they have to create a new backup job, name it correctly this time, manually set many of the backup items such as schedule, etc. and then run a completely new backup and then go back and delete the old backup.  This is all cumbersome, time consuming and extra work for the user, compared to the behavior available in 2019 and earlier.

02) Backup names often describe a particular situation.  For example, it may contain the name of a computer, or a user, or a particular type of content, or even a particular hard drive or drive letter.  If the user changes the source (or destination), they may want to change the name to match the content of the backup so it is a better reflection of what the backup is for, where it is located, or what the source content is.    

Regular Poster
Comments: 426

Super Ditto on this message and as I expressed in my private message.

Forum Star
Comments: 3069

Super Ditto here as well. Not sure if this still happens with ATI 2020, but with earlier versions it was possible for the custom name (added at beginning of task creation) to disappeared during task creation with the default name being applied. There needs to be a simple way to correct this if it still occurs.

PS: Also sent comments via PM.

Regular Poster
Comments: 418

Thank you all for your help!

Beginner
Comments: 2

Hallo,

die gegenwärtige Situation ist einfach nur SEHR ÄRGERLICH  !!

Ich stimme den hier geposteten Beiträgen vollkommen zu !

Inzwischen habe ich, sehr verärgert und enttäuscht über die Änderungen in der neuen (verschlimmbesserten) Version, ATH 2020 wieder deinstalliert und verwende wieder die Vorversion ATH 2019.

Gruß und in der Hoffnung, daß einige Änderungen wieder zurückgenommen werden,

Horst (Deutschland)

GOOGLE Translation :

Hi there,

the current situation is just VERY ANNOYING !!

I totally agree with the contributions posted here!

In the meantime, very annoyed and disappointed with the changes in the new (worse) version, I have uninstalled ATH 2020 again and am using the previous version ATH 2019 again.

Greetings and in the hope that some changes will be withdrawn,

Horst (Germany)

Legend
Comments: 19419

The key rename option for me is the ability to use 'Clone settings' then rename the cloned task in the GUI to avoid having tasks using (1) old name.  Without this option, then a new task has to be created to achieve the same result. 

I cannot think of a time when I have just wanted to rename an existing task as this would then give backup files with different names as the task was continued, but I can understand that some users want this capability to give a clearer indication of when backups were made, or specifc changes captured etc.

Example: task 'My backup' is run but later I want to rename this to 'My backup Jan 20' to show that the new files are for this month, etc.

Forum Star
Comments: 978

And a super +1 for Steve's comment.  When creating a new task there is an accidental chance you can choose the name we want.  When cloning a task there is no way to pick the name we want.  That desired name would never be
(1) old name.

Forum Hero
Comments: 7592

It seems straight forward to me to add back this functionality.  It appears the user base desires the ability so why not make it happen.

Regular Poster
Comments: 108

Why was it removed, explanation?

Forum Star
Comments: 3069

Not sure that it was removed, it was just not included in the code for *.tibx backups. Does anyone know if renaming is available for *.tibx backups created with Cyber Protection 12.5? If it is, it may be one of those modules they did not have time to port to 32 bit code to use in ATI.

They may be asking about the importance of doing so as they would be locking in features to be included in ATI 2021 about now - and the priority to be given to it compared to other fixes and enhancements.

Ian

Beginner
Comments: 4

The danger here is the assumption that everybody uses the product in the same way.  The new TIBX "method" may be more focused on the corporate environment, which is understandable, however, there are many home users out there who use TI in a more traditional manner for producing gold, point-in-time, image backups of their PCs for bare metal disaster recovery purposes (typically for when Windows goes rogue).

Such backups are one-offs, which are not scheduled and are self-contained, typically named with a date in the title.  Future, similar backups, are then made by cloning those settings, then renaming the backup file (at least that's how it was in all previous versions of TI).  TI 2020 makes this workflow a lot more tedious as each new backup needs to be set up from scratch.

This needs to be rectified, as was initially promised in the first release note for TI 2020.

Forum Hero
Comments: 7592

Acronis Backup 12.5 allows for backup file naming or renaming.  There are some rules that must be observed when naming backups.  The tibx format for example, does not allow for a backup name to end with a digit nor a variable.  Accordingly, default backup names in 12.5 end with the letter A

This feature could be added back into the application however, once again users would have a learning curve with proper usage of naming.

Forum Star
Comments: 1619

Hi forumers, MVPs, Renata,

I've expressed my opinions in the UX session and proposed low effort UI changes to mild the limitation. I hope that they can be implemented.

Forum Member
Comments: 9

Bobbo_3C0X1 wrote:

In addition to what others may provide directly via PM, here are some generic scenarios we see in the forums quite a bit.  In the 2019 and earlier versions, these aren't issues, because you can just rename them as needed.  Now that the rename feature is missing in 2020, it adds additional workload on the end-user if they do need to rename the backup.  For example:

01) The user is not aware of the need (or how) to name the backup on first creation of a backup and the backup is set with a generic name that they don't like.  They don't realize the output name until after the backup is complete. Currently, they have to create a new backup job, name it correctly this time, manually set many of the backup items such as schedule, etc. and then run a completely new backup and then go back and delete the old backup.  This is all cumbersome, time consuming and extra work for the user, compared to the behavior available in 2019 and earlier.

02) Backup names often describe a particular situation.  For example, it may contain the name of a computer, or a user, or a particular type of content, or even a particular hard drive or drive letter.  If the user changes the source (or destination), they may want to change the name to match the content of the backup so it is a better reflection of what the backup is for, where it is located, or what the source content is.    

===============

I used it all the time for the purposes others stated ... since rename is a very common backup utility function, what possessed Acronis to get rid of it?  Did you run out of keystrokes?  

Forum Member
Comments: 43

Steve Ackroyd wrote:

The danger here is the assumption that everybody uses the product in the same way.  The new TIBX "method" may be more focused on the corporate environment, which is understandable, however, there are many home users out there who use TI in a more traditional manner for producing gold, point-in-time, image backups of their PCs for bare metal disaster recovery purposes (typically for when Windows goes rogue).

Such backups are one-offs, which are not scheduled and are self-contained, typically named with a date in the title.  Future, similar backups, are then made by cloning those settings, then renaming the backup file (at least that's how it was in all previous versions of TI).  TI 2020 makes this workflow a lot more tedious as each new backup needs to be set up from scratch.

This needs to be rectified, as was initially promised in the first release note for TI 2020.

Hear, hear.  I had no trouble as a safety conscious user of a personal computer for both work and home use on TI 2009, TI 2011, TI 2013, TI 2015, Ti 2018 but I simply do not trust 2020 TI.  Why?  It assumes I am a corporate IT worker that has hundreds of machines and I schedule incremental backups using what may be to a corporation, powerful features.  I don't want powerful features.  I want to create a complete and full standalone backup that I can move around between my many drives and still use when a disaster occurs.  I do this biweekly on each of my three machines.  I have plenty of SSD space so am not limited there.  I want to be able to name it what I want and I want to be able to point TI to it whereever it may exist to perform a recovery.  And where it is when I want to recover it may not be where it was when I created it and it may have a different name when I am looking to recover it.   These seem like simple basic features that have been removed in 2020.  I have not yet gone back to my 2018 licenses but I am close to doing so.

I get very frustrated by seeing backup files on my drive array that I could never recover because 2020 doesn't know how to reach and recover them.   Using only TI to do Win Explorer work is silly.  I don't work that way and am not going to change because my preferred backup and clone vendor has moved 100% to the corporate world.