Skip to main content

Restore from full backup

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 2

I have an old Windows XP machine in which a full disk backup was made (tib file) and I have it on an external drive. The hard drive on that WinXP machine has gone bad and I bought a new SSD to replace it (same size as the original HDD). How do I load that backup onto the new SSD so that I can replace the broken HDD with it?

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 9127

Look HERE

Beginner

Enchantech wrote:

Look HERE

That doesn't really help me. I have the .tib file on a seperate PC and I plug in the new SSD I want to use, but it doesn't show up as a drive to recover to:

Legend
Comments: 26365

Sean, given you are wanting to restore a Windows OS disk backup for Win XP, then the method to use here should be to install the new SSD in the Win XP system, then use the Acronis Rescue Media to boot that PC with an external USB drive connected where the .tib backup file is stored, and restore the .tib in that way.

Doing the above will avoid other problems such as the second PC using a different BIOS boot mode than that used by the Win XP PC - which would then render the restored drive unbootable when moved to the target PC.

I am assuming here that the replacement SSD is not only just the same size as the failed HDD but is also of the same type of drive, i.e. both are SATA drives?  If not, then other issues can come into play.

See KB 63226: Acronis True Image 2020: how to create bootable media and KB 59877: Acronis True Image: how to distinguish between UEFI and Legacy BIOS boot modes of Acronis Bootable Media

KB 63295: Acronis True Image 2020: How to restore your computer with WinPE-based or WinRE-based media

Beginner

Steve Smith wrote:

Sean, given you are wanting to restore a Windows OS disk backup for Win XP, then the method to use here should be to install the new SSD in the Win XP system, then use the Acronis Rescue Media to boot that PC with an external USB drive connected where the .tib backup file is stored, and restore the .tib in that way.

Doing the above will avoid other problems such as the second PC using a different BIOS boot mode than that used by the Win XP PC - which would then render the restored drive unbootable when moved to the target PC.

I am assuming here that the replacement SSD is not only just the same size as the failed HDD but is also of the same type of drive, i.e. both are SATA drives?  If not, then other issues can come into play.

See KB 63226: Acronis True Image 2020: how to create bootable media and KB 59877: Acronis True Image: how to distinguish between UEFI and Legacy BIOS boot modes of Acronis Bootable Media

KB 63295: Acronis True Image 2020: How to restore your computer with WinPE-based or WinRE-based media

Ok,  I see.

Yes, both drives are 500gb SATA drives. The drive that's in the computer now is a HDD (it's gone bad) and I'm replacing it with a SSD.