Skip to main content

TI2020 causes "volsnap driver not found" error frequently, and the backup failed (in case of Acronis snapshot backup)

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 19

Today I upgraded to 2020 from2019, and set hourly backup for system disk.

It created the initial backup normally, but on next cycle it failed the backup (differential) and showed "volsnap driver not found". But it retried automatically and created the backup normally.

This error occurs on my 3 PC's with the same reason.

Until 2019, all backups worked normally and I never seen volsnap driver error!

New topics (2019/8/24)

I checked this error, and tried to install TI2019 on the newly installed Windows10 and executed 2 or 3 times acronis snapshot backups. After that, I upgraded to TI2020 after uninstalling TI2019.

Then this "volsnap driver not found" error message came  out and the backup was failed.

So this "volsnap driver not found" error is recrested when the upgrading from TI2019 to TI2020.

If someone knows how to uninstall the previous TI2019 and make the system completely clean?

1 Users found this helpful
Frequent Poster
Comments: 491

Hello! 

Seems like that volsnap driver has some issues on your machine.

Here is a KB article that should help fix the issue permanently: https://kb.acronis.com/content/63024

Forum Member

I checked the registry, and fltsrv is normal. the same error occurs on my 3 PC with this "volsnap driver not found".

So I went back to 2019, and no trouble occurs and no volsnap driver error. It is very starnge and unusual!

Forum Star
Comments: 3615

It is an odd error. It was not reported during beta testing (at least no mention of it on the forum). It is possible that it was behind some of the record for which no information was given.

i hope you sent feedback via the in App feedback, including the system report, as that would be need Ed to investigate the issue further.

Forum Member

I have already contact to Japanese agent by sending system report and snapshots.

I am using TrueImage since its early version for about 20 years, and now I backup the system using "acronis snapshot" instead of VSS because VSS does not save Windows update information.

So today, I defined Acronis snapshot and VSS backup methods, and at first I tried acronis snapshot and it failed with "volsnap driver not found". After that, I ran VSS backup and it finished normally, and so I retried acronis snapshot again, and it successfully finished!!!

I also confirmed this procedure after PC power off and on, the same things happened (first acronis snapshot failed, Vss finished, and second and third acronis snapshot finished successfully.

I wonder the site test was done mainly for VSS backup, and test for acronis snapshot was not surficient.

Forum Star

Have you tried doing a repair installation - download the full installer from your account, then run as administrator and select repair rather than uninstall.

In the past doing a repair has fixed a wide range of problems.

Ian

Forum Member

Thanks for your comments.

I tried the repair install, but the result was same and acronis snapshot failed indicating no volsnap driver!

Forum Star

Thanks for the confirmation. Will need to keep a lookout for further instances of this happening.

Ian

Forum Member

One thing, I wonder why "volsnap driver not found" error comes out when TI2020 executes  Acronis snapshot backup instead of VSS backup? I understand that Acronis snapshot backup performs backup with Acronis own backup method and do not use Windows VSS system.

Forum Hero
Comments: 8015

A few suggestions for volsnap:

Restart the Volume Shadow Copy service:  Open services.msc Locate Volume Shadow Copy Service, and then double-click on it to open its Properties box. Stop the Service and then Start it again. Or else right-click on it and select Restart.

Run the System File Checker utility:

Open and admin command prompt and type sfc /scannow.

Run check disk on volume C::

In Disk Management click on volume C: to select it then right click for a contest menu.  Select Properties from the menu.  Click on the Tools tab in the properties box then click on Check.  If errors are found they will be repair upon a Restart of the PC.

You might also fix it by updating all your storage controller drivers to the latest versions.

Lastly, run a test on your RAM to check for issues.  Bad RAM can cause volsnap errors.

Beginner
Comments: 2

A few suggestions for volsnap

Thanks for your advice...
...but that didn't help...

Beginner
Comments: 2

Forum Moderator
Comments: 5444

Hello Everyone,

if you encounter the issue with backup failing with "No Volsnap driver was found", please contact Acronis support team and provide the following information

1. Whether an earlier version of Acronis True Image worked fine and if backup started failing only after upgrading to (or clean installing) Acronis True Image 2020.
  2. Whether there is volsnap entry in the registry parameter UpperFilters in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71a27cdd-812a-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f}. See https://kb.acronis.com/content/63024
  3. System Report

This will help us to identify the root cause of the issue and properly fix it. Thank you!

Beginner
Comments: 1

Ekaterina wrote:

Hello Everyone,

if you encounter the issue with backup failing with "No Volsnap driver was found", please contact Acronis support team and provide the following information

1. Whether an earlier version of Acronis True Image worked fine and if backup started failing only after upgrading to (or clean installing) Acronis True Image 2020.
  2. Whether there is volsnap entry in the registry parameter UpperFilters in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71a27cdd-812a-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f}. See https://kb.acronis.com/content/63024
  3. System Report

This will help us to identify the root cause of the issue and properly fix it. Thank you!

I have the same problem since yesterday.

(1) is true

(2) is true There is a voldsnap entry in upperfilters

The wy the product is right now. I cannot do a backup and I cannot do a restore.  The whole thing started with 2020 but when going back to 2019, the problem does not disappear.

Forum Member

I am the first reporter of this problem and checked and tried in several ways and finally this problem has been fixed by the following update procedure;

Problem : Backup by acronis snapshot fails indicating "volsnap driver not found" (this message is my translation because I us Japanese version). VSS backup works normally.

my procedure:

1. Set "sytem restore" effective for sytem disk (C:) in the control panel

2. Check VSS using acronis VSSDoctor and fix the error

3. Uninstall previous TI2019 using acronic Cleanup tool

4. Clean up system using CCleaner and manually

5. Define backup target system disk C: only (exclude recovery partition, EFI partition,etc)

Then I could install TI2020 and backup in acronis snapshot successfully.

However I can not identify which procedure is effective and why this error occurs.

Forum Hero
Comments: 8337

Jean, if you're needing to roll back to 2019, I'd suggest running the cleanup tool to remove all traces of True Image first.  Once it's done, reboot to clean up the registry.  Then install 2019 (make sure to get the most current file from your account - just in case). 

And, when you launch the cleanup tool and the 2019 installer, make sure to always right-click and "run as administrator" even if you're logged in with an admin account.

Cleanup tool is in my signature.

Forum Star

You should also save your settings before removing ATI 2020 and then restore them once you have reinstalled ATI 2019.

Ian

Beginner
Comments: 5

The issue surfaced about a week ago.  Spend days/hours trying to fix, uninstall, re-install, registry cleaner, uninstall anti-virus (malwarebytes), etc to NO SUCCESS.

I did a baseline clean install of Win7, all software, created gold disk backup absolutely no issue as of yesterday.  Today my daily differential kicked off and "no volsnap driver was found" resurfaced.

I installed 2020_21400 specifically because release notes specifically said "volsnap driver" error was FIXED.
I was using 2018 previously, upgraded to 2020 in October when it came out. I NOW REGRET IT.

Beginner

Found VSS doctor, ran, no errors although 2 sections noted issues:
1)saying my system reserve drive is low on space (which I don't use for backups)
2)Event log entries (of course since I've had issues)

Same volsnap driver not found error.

I should note previously and currently I use cobian backup which uses shadow copy as well, never had an issue with it and 2018 worked fine alongside it as well.  Just thought if another utility can use shadow copy why can't TI2020.

Next will try install repair

Attachment Size
519592-176200.txt 18.48 KB
Legend
Comments: 21393

Curtis, please see the post above from Ekaterina and submit the diagnostic data requested in that post to Acronis for investigation.

Beginner

Cleaned Registry (wisecare) and install repair, volsnap driver still fails, next unistall and reinstall.

Steve, I appreciate and will follow your advice, regretfully my experience with support is very tainted.  When I called on a recovery problem testing 2020 new install support's only guidance after an hour of chat was to boot off remote media as if they were just running off a script.  I figured out the issue within a couple hours and it was fairly simple.  I sent them the solution.  It's what happens with you have tier 1 support staff answering tier 2.

I will follow your guidance if I can't figure this out (although given it cropped up before I suspect I'll have to).

Thank you for your prompt response and dedication.

Regular Poster
Comments: 115

Curtis Matthes  For me it solved that concern  https://kb.acronis.com/content/63024  

Screenshot_3_0.png

Attachment Size
519621-176208.png 77.43 KB
Beginner

Well, I tried to just revert to TI2018 and still the volsnap driver issue.  On performance setting, I switched from VSS to Acronis snapshot and am no longer receiving the error.  Well there are two days of my time I'm never going to get back.

Forum Hero

Curtis,

Sorry to hear that you have not resolved the issue.  I know you state that you "cleaned" the registry however, have you checked to see if the volsnap entry noted in the KB Article exists in the reg key as indicated?

The UpperFilters value is one which an uninstall of the product does not remove.  Therefore a subsequent install of the product will not overwrite that reg value and fix the problem.  This is why reverting to 2018 did nothing.

The use of Acronis snapshot works because it does not rely on the volsnap component of VSS to perform the snapshot function.  Using it is fine and al least makes the product usable for you.

Beginner

Enchantech, thank you so much for your effort.  It makes sense as my attempts after the base reload was each time restoring a baseline gold disk just after Win7 was installed so I had an absolutely clean register although I would note I even used the Cleanup Tool (ATIH 2010-2019) so I assumed it picked up everything.

Regretfully I had no success.  added the property under the key as instructed, volsnap error when I tried vss, acronis copy, etc.  I'm absolutely baffled and now am on my third day of dedication to this issue.  Next I'm going to try w/o vss.

Forum Hero

Curtis,

Have a look at the link below for information on MS Volsnap.  Errors involving volsnap are discussed.  If you find this applies in your case you may need to take some action using MS vssadmin commands to clear out old snapshots to fix the problem. 

MS Volume Shadow Copy Service errors

Beginner
Comments: 1

It looks like this still hasn't been resolved.

I still get the volsnap error message. 

But if i just start the backup again after it fails, after a random number of tries (5-10), eventually, it works!!!??

Forum Moderator
Comments: 5444

Hello Donald, 

yes, I'm afraid the issue still reproduces on certain configurations. We can only recommend following the article 63024: Acronis True Image: unable to select a disk for new backup, already configured backups fail, if volsnap is missing from UpperFilters in the system registry