Skip to main content

Upgraded to 2020 now I have high CPU usage

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 33

Upgraded to 2020 now I have high CPU usage what can I do and how do I approach troubleshooting this problem?

2 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 26390

Joe, what component is showing as giving high CPU when looking at Windows Task Manager?

Beginner
Comments: 13

Ditto. I posted this in the wrong forum, but also had a trashed CPU usage today - post from earlier below

===

Just updated to latest 2020 release, which I was prompted to upgrade too yesterday. Totally sucks. The new mms_mini service now kicks in the whole time and hogs the CPU. Standard Windows 8.1 release here with a powerful i7 and 32gb memory. Been an Acronis user for years and never had this until today. Dreadful. Whatever was changed in the new 2020 TI version, please undo it

===

Maybe check if your is also the mms_mini (aka Acronis Machine Managed Service Mini). I have stopped mine under Windows Services for now and set it to Manual start. No more CPU overload. I was already on the previous ATI 2020 version until yesterday with no issues. This feels very like something that was changed in the update just release.

Legend

Rob, if you have stopped the mms_mini service and the CPU hog has stopped, then I would recommend opening a support case with Acronis and let them analyse this on your computer via a system report etc.

On my HP i7 laptop, this service is taking 0 CPU...

Beginner

Yeah - it's always been such a long winded process every time I've had to open a support case, which always makes me reluctant to go down that road. Especially for something that seems like a recently introduced product bug.

Did you upgrade this week to latest version? Version string says ATI 2020, build 20770. Mine also was never a problem on the older revs - this was 1st upgrade where it started happening.

Beginner

Also noticing that if I start the GUI - it sits with a fairly high CPU usage. This is after the normal startup usage where it's checking the various backup statuses. Even after that is done and nothing is going on, it's sitting above 10% cpu. If I close that down, I'm getting a constant background CPU on active protection. Can't say if that is unusual, may have been like that before. But on a mostly idle PC, it's odd it would have much to scan

Wondering if the upgrade needs to scan old backups or update / recheck stuff and that is what is triggering this noise. Tempted to leave it going and see if eventually it dies down.

Screenshots attached (sorry, haven't done much in this forum so not linked them inline)

Attachment Size
510471-171621.JPG 23.73 KB
510471-171624.JPG 17.68 KB
Legend

Rob, when you open the ATI 2020 GUI, if you have any Cloud tasks, then there is activity there while ATI connects to the cloud to check status etc.  A similar activity will happen for any network located destinations for your tasks, but this should be completed in a matter of seconds rather than minutes!

One important factor that I have found is that you have no Monitored Processes shown on the AAP page - if the number monitored is not 0 then there will be higher CPU activity!

From my own i7 laptop with the ATI 2020 GUI open.

Forum Member
Comments: 33

After the daily backup, Acronis Machine Managed Service Mini goes to 75% CPU and stays there then Acronis True Image 2020 goes to 50%. If I reboot it goes away until the next backup

Legend

Joe, what type of backup are you running daily, and to what destination location?

Forum Star
Comments: 4560

Have you tried a repair installation, doing so can fix a wide range of problems.

Ian

Forum Star
Comments: 1841

there are known reports for people that use Cortana in 1903 and having the latest 2019-08 updates installed. Make sure that this is not the root cause

Forum Hero
Comments: 9131

Ditto Karl's post.  Have had this issue in the past with Windows upgrades!

Regular Poster
Comments: 176

Rob Walker hat ein Windows 8.1 somit liegt es nicht am Cortana Anliegen.  

Beginner

Logitech21 wrote:

Rob Walker hat ein Windows 8.1 somit liegt es nicht am Cortana Anliegen.  

You beat me to it - can pretty much guarantee Cortana is not involved here for just that reason!

FWIW - I went out all day Saturday, but left the Acronis GUI open on my desktop just to see if the high CPU was some long running tidy up it needed to perform after the upgrade. It was still pegged at 15 to 20% CPU when I got back around 10 hours later.

Clean reboot last eve and all quiet today so far *BUT* mms is set to manual, so that is not running. Will go into the UI at some stage later in the day and see if that spins up the CPU again.

Forum Moderator
Comments: 6627

Joe LoreRob Walker

If the CPU consumption is still that high and repair-installation didn't help, please open a support ticket to let Acronis support team conduct investigation and share the ticket number with me. 

Beginner
Comments: 2

Got the same problem on my machine:

Windows 10 Enterpr. (1903)

Legend

Frank, this topic clearly states ATI 2020 in the title but your image shows that you are on ATI 2021, thus cannot be the same issue.  Please raise a new topic in the ATI 2021 Forum.

Forum Moderator

Frank Neumann wrote:

Got the same problem on my machine:

Windows 10 Enterpr. (1903)

Hello Frank,

in case you are using VPN, restart Acronis Active Protection service as workaround after 1) starting VPN and 2) after stopping VPN.If this does not help, check VPN software options: if it has an option to close all TCP sockets, disable this option.  If there is no VPN or the issue persists, please open a separate topic in Acronis True Image 2021 forum as Steve suggested. 

Beginner
Comments: 3

Hello, I'm having the same issue: high CPU usage from Acronis Cyberprotect.

It was about 25% few seconds ago, I was closing Blender.

Now it's about 5%.

And now dropped to 2%.

I also have the Brave browser open, with plenty tabs open. Maybe this is the problem?

Now it's again at 8%.

Legend

Marco, welcome to these public User Forums.

This topic is focussed on an issue with ATI 2020 but you have an issue with ATI 2021 if Cyber Protect is involved.

Please open a new topic in the ATI 2021 Forum for this issue.

Beginner
Comments: 3

Same problem here: Win10, i5.

I do NOT have Acronis protection active, because I am using Avast Antivirus.

image 520

image 521

And no backup was running, I have all my backups set to manual.

I don't want to seem negative here, but it seems to me that this software, once a great piece, is becoming worse update after update.

Like many software of this kind (backup, antivirus), it's becoming an octopus that drowns the machine on which it resides.

Nobody asked for this, honestly. We wanted a good backup software. We had it.
Now this.

At least, if one turns protection off, JUST TURN THE DARN THING OFF!
It shouldn't be that difficult, right?

If this doesn't get corrected, and SOON, because it's YEARS that it's getting worse, I'm afraid I'll have to switch to another backup software, with all the consequent bad mouthword, etc.
I'm really tired of this now.

Forum Moderator

Marco,

sorry to know about the issue! I'd suggested trying to re-install the software (please install the latest available build) and if the issue still reproduces raising a support ticket for the investigation. In an idle state there definitely shouldn't be any significant load on the system.