Skip to main content

Error 'Unknown Status' failure after 2021 Upgrade

Thread solved
Regular Poster
Comments: 153

Hi all, as per he topic subject, following upgrade to ATI2021 yesterday my nightly backup failed with 'Failed due to an error  Unknown status'.  The log (attached)  seems to show VSS errors and 'A device attached to the system is not functioning'. I ran the VSS doctor which shows one error, insufficient disk space on the 'Windows RE Tools Partition of the C Drive. Get the same result regardless of target drive. Backup is of C drive to USB External and has been running without issue for several months. Ideas welcomed.

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 28256

What did you upgrade from to go to ATI 2021?  This topic is in the 2019 forum which will make sense if you went from 2019 to 2021?

Was this an existing disk backup task, if so, again what version created the task?  2019?

Have you tried reselecting the backup task Source disk and partitions?

Does the task create a .tib or .tibx backup file?

Regular Poster

Sorry Steve, wrong forum, should be in 2021 forum.  Can't see a way to move the post, presumably needs mod intervention?

I upgraded from 2020. It was ATI2020 that created the backup. The backup is an 'Entire PC' backup so can't reselect source,

I have created a new backup task selecting only the C Drive and when run manually the result is that I get a slightly different error 'The backup has been stopped. It will be restarted at {time} Unknown status. The time displayed is one minute after original start.

Legend

Ok, then we will need to see the ti_demon and backup_worker logs for the new backup task for only the C drive selection.  Please zip the log files or the host folder so that the original file names are kept then upload the zip file to this topic.

Regular Poster

Steve, log files attached.as requested.

Attachment Size
548983-195771.zip 4.12 KB
Legend

Thanks for the logs, these both show that a VSS error is in play here!

23/08/2020 05:26:17:552 PM Error 0x2160015: A backup error
| error 0x70021: Failed to create volume snapshot.
| error 0x10c443: Failed to unlock the volume snapshot.
| error 0xfff0: A device attached to the system is not functioning
23/08/2020 05:26:17:780 PM Error 0x13c0005: Operation has completed with errors.

23/08/2020 05:26:17:534 PM Pid: 20464
type=commonerror;
value=A backup error.
Failed to create volume snapshot.
Failed to unlock the volume snapshot.
Unknown status.code
A device attached to the system is not functioning
23/08/2020 05:26:17:534 PM Pid: 20464 type=retcode; value=4095; id=1;
23/08/2020 05:26:17:535 PM Pid: 20464 >>> exit

I would suggest doing a CHKDSK /F for the source drive with a restart of Windows to see if that clears this problem?

Regular Poster

Thanks Steve, did as you suggested and now the Full Weekly backup is running as usual.  Don't quite understand the 'existing backups will not show in the recovery tab for this backup - to get them to appear first add them as an exiting backup.' message though.  The task has not changed, the tibx file is going into the same folder as the previous .tibx files. so why would the previous backups not appear? 

Legend

Glad that the backups are back to running again.  The other message is worrying / strange as is only normally given if the backup has been renamed or moved?

Regular Poster

Backup ran as expected and validated. New .tbx file with sequential number in top level of backup disk with the earlier backups from this task - so far so good.  However when looking at the 'Recovery' tab, all that appears is 'No Data to recover yet' - any thoughts?

Legend

The Recovery 'No data to recovery' is another known issue from 2020 and is easily resolved by using the 'Add existing backup' option and selecting the new .tibx file that was created and validated.  This will cause the Recovery tab to be populated correctly again!

I have only seen that issue once myself and there-after it behaved itself!

Regular Poster

Thanks again Steve, all appears to be in order pending backup tonight.

Regular Poster

Spoke too soon, backup failed again with same errors, log file attached

VSS Doctor only finds one error with insufficient space on the WinRE Tools partition

Attachment Size
549217-195852.txt 3.06 KB
Legend

Sorry but I am running out of ideas for why this is giving these errors other than that ATI 2021 seems to be the common factor is quite a few new issues being reported, so can only recommend that you open a support case direct with Acronis about this issue too.

One last thought, try the Options > Advanced > Performance settings for this task and give the older Acronis snapshot method a try instead of using VSS.

Forum Star
Comments: 1249

Macrium reflect has a couple of downloads available on this page https://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50010.aspx. Scroll down to find them. I fixed my VSS problems after updating to Win 10 2004.

Regular Poster

Steve, just before contacting Acronis I tried the Macrium VSS utility and the backup is running fine (at the moment!) Thanks Tom - if it fails gain I'll raise that ticket.

Forum Star

You're welcome DrMopp. I found that utility by running MacriumReflect Free during the beta. The utility is built in to the free version. I had run Acronis VSS doctor with no success. I posted and extensive thread under Backup/Restore during the beta.

Regular Poster

Yet another failure. Same VSS issues in log file. (No Windows Updates in the interim)

1. Last night's Backup from schedule failed because the USB backup destination drive had gone missing.
2. After unplugging and reconnecting I checked that the drive was again visible in Windows Explorer.
3. I attempted to check the backup task settings but the 'Options' button in ATI failed to open the options settings
4. On running the task manually the task failed with 'unknown status' (log file attached)

Tried using Acronis Snapshot instead of VSS but got the same result.  I will raise ticket with Acronis as per previous advice but going back to 2020 has been suggested - any thoughts? 

Attachment Size
550591-196337.log 3.07 KB
Legend

I would recommend opening a Support case while on 2021 for this issue and collecting a system report etc before taking any action to go back to 2020.

Regular Poster

Thanks Steve, I've raised a ticket. Any idea how to remove the 'solved' marker from a topic?

Legend

Don't think us mere users have the authority to changed the 'solved' flag, you would need to ask Ekaterina to do it in her role as moderator.

Regular Poster

OK thanks, will do.

Forum Hero
Comments: 9279

DrMopp,

You mention that your backup is of Entire PC suggesting that the backup is an image of more than one disk drive.  If you have other disks than drive C: in or connected to your machine, you should run the chkdsk /F command on each of them. 

Additionally, you mention that the recurring error involves the WinRE partition on drive C:, that partition is not included in a check disk scan of drive C: and each scan treats disk partitions as volumes or independent disks.  Therefore, all partitions on disk must be scanned individually.

To accomplish that partitions such as the WinRE partition which lacks a drive letter must be assigned a drive letter temporarily so that a scan can be run on it.  The best way to do that is by using the Acronis VSS Doctor tool.  To run the tool open it as an Administrator and click on Start diagnostic.  After you run that tool all disks will be shown and each disk/partition will be listed in/under "Disk Free Space Available".    Notice that partitions shown in the list do not have drive letters and listed as \\?\Volume.....  Note that below these Volume entries is a link "Assign drive letter"  Clicking on that link will allow you to assign a drive letter to that partition.  You can then use an elevated (admin) command prompt to run chkdsk /f on the letter assigned to the partition. Perform this action on all partitions listed as \\?\Volume.... one at a time and after each scan has completed you can remove the temp drive letter assigned to the partition by clicking on the link again which has now changed to "Unassign drive letter.

You can perform the above on the WinRE partition first which I suspect will find any errors and correct them.  I encourage you however, to run the scan on all partitions regardless of what the WinRE partition scan fixes.

In rare cases, I have found in my own experience that a corrupted Windows.old folder, created by Windows during major upgrades, can be at fault with this type of error.  If the issue persists report back and I can tell you how to remedy that situation.

Regular Poster

Although the Backup Task is set up as 'Entire PC' there is currently only one disk to be backed up.

I did as you suggested and ran a chkdsk on all partitions after assigning drive letters, but no errors were found on any.

The VSS Doctor error on the WinRE Tools partition is that there is insufficient free space - 216MB when 'a minimum 320MB' is required, presumably only resizing the partition will cure that?

Oh, and the backup failed again - log file attached.

Attachment Size
550668-196425.log 3.08 KB
Forum Hero

DrMopp,

Your log shows: error 0x10c443: Failed to unlock the volume snapshot.

This suggests that a snapshot for the WinRE partition has failed to be flushed (cleared) from that volume.  I have 2 suggestions for this issue.

1. Restart your PC (not a shutdown and then startup, a restart from the power menu)
  2. From an elevated command prompt run: vssadmin delete shadowstorage /for=x: /on=x:  Where x is the assigned drive letter to the WinRE partition

Yes you can try adjusting the size of the available space up to the minimum 320MB.  The VSS Doctor tool can perform that for you if there is available space in the partition to do so.  There may not be enough space available thus the options above.

Regular Poster

Enchantech,

Thanks, but that gives 'invalid command' - Options are 'delete shadows'  'list shadowstorage' or 'resize shadowstorage' suspect you meant the first of these?

Forum Hero

Yes I did.  The syntax has changed.

Regular Poster

The vssadmin delete Shadows command only accepts the /for argument not the /on.  The only acceptable further options are /oldest and /quiet.  When executed without the /on argument the command returns 'no items found that satisfy the query' as it does when appending the /oldest argument.  The List ShadowStorage command suggests to me there is no shadow on e:/ but not an expert (obviously) - screen print attached for clarity (?)

I guess that means I'm left with Windows Disk Management or a third party tool to resize the partition. There is no unallocated space on the drive so I will have to resize an existing partition (C?) something I'm not exactly comfortable with especially without a backup.  Any suggestion as regards a third party tool, preferably free?  I have used Partition Magic in the past.

Attachment Size
550736-196563.png 44.02 KB
Forum Star

Mini Tool Partition Wizard free has been recommended several times here. Be careful the download includes extra programs you may not want to install. They are easily declined during the install.

Regular Poster
Comments: 196

Go back to 2020. I have a partition with the sizing error. It doesn't effect the backup.

Regular Poster

OK so I extended the WINRE partition using Mini Tool Partition Wizard, (thanks again Tom!) and not surprisingly VSS Doctor no longer reported the problem. Backup now running successfully after manual start. Still not sure why the lack of free space on the WinRE partition would affect VSS given there are no snapshots stored there to be cleaned up, as per earlier post, but maybe a little off topic here.

@Technogod, if you don't have a problem with your backup that's great, but  might it not be an idea to fix your partition size problem anyway?.

Regular Poster
Comments: 196

I'm glad it fixed your problem. Nice work!

Forum Star

Glad you problem is solved.

Forum Hero

DrMopp,

Glad to see you were able to fix your issue.  How much did you add to the WinRE recovery partition? 

Not sure why the TI app failed in this regard.  TI should only include free space on the system volume only.

Regular Poster

Enchantech,

I added 0.4GB from the C: partition which seemed to be the minimum the Mini Tool Partition Software Tool would allow.  Doesn't really seem to be a logical connection between the problem and the 'fix' (to me at least,) but fingers crossed for now.  Thanks for your help.

Forum Hero

DrMopp,

Thanks for the feedback.

Regular Poster

Spoke too soon once again, using another external USB HDD for weekly backup same issue occurs, even though the daily backup to another disk had worked fine immediately before. No VSS Doctor errors reported this time.  Have raised ticket but posted log here in case anyone has any fresh ideas. Subsequent attempt at daily backup (different external disk) also failed.

Attachment Size
551255-196844.log 3.07 KB
Regular Poster

Some additional info if it helps, the fault is the same regardless of whether I use VSS or Acronis Snapshot.  The only thing that appears odd to me in the log file is the reference to e: in the path:-

e:\jenkins_agent\workspace\ati-disk_backup\692\product\main\core\da_api\backup.cpp:353, da_backup::Commit

As there is no e: drive on my system, (I know the reference to 'jenkins' is intentional)

Legend

Any lines in the log that reference such as jenkins_agent etc is purely intended for the developers when debugging their own internal code and the paths do not refer to user drives - these are known as 'trace' lines for internal use only.

Note: the MVP's have asked a number of times for these lines to be suppressed in user logs and be only used when specific diagnostic settings are used for generating additional trace data.

Regular Poster

Thanks Steve, understood, I had read about jenkins_agent but obviously missed the part about the drive letter!

Forum Hero

DrMopp,

I had a look at your error logs in posts #16,22, and 35.  All of these logs show "A device attached to the system is not functioning"  The code given by that error can be associated to roughly three situations.

1. Windows update failure
  2. Audio device driver failure
  3. Corrupt Windows System files

This begs the questions:

• Is Windows update working on your computer?
  • Have you looked in Windows Device Manager for any devices not working?
  • Have you checked Windows System files using Dism.exe command line tools?

Because all previous attempts to correct VSS errors have failed that would suggest your issue lies elsewhere in Windows.  It also appears that you are alone here with this issue suggesting that others using TI 2021 are not seeing this behavior and that this issue is likely machine specific.

I recommend that you investigate the above and see what you can come up with.  There is an MS tool for example that can repair Windows Update.  Uninstalling your audio device and then restarting your PC will allow Windows to reinstall the device and driver.  It may also be necessary to remove the driver completely and install a new latest version driver for the device.  Search for DISM commands to repair Windows will get you information of fixing Windows System files.

Regular Poster

Thanks, I had checked Windows Update and Device Manager, updating the Sound Card driver made no difference, but DISM Cleanup-image and SFC /scannow caused ATI backup to start running again. Been here before though so will wait until after a few scheduled runs before declaring it 'fixed'!

Forum Hero

Good plan, will stay tuned. :-)

Regular Poster

After several scheduled backups without a problem marking this as solved by the SFC /scannow. Thanks all for your interest.

Forum Hero

Nice!  Thanks for the update. 

Regular Poster

Same issue has returned with both nightly and weekly backups to different USB external HDD's failing - same issue as per original post.  No errors in device manager or when running chkdsk on target drives, no VSS Doctor errors,  and no improvement this time after DISM Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth.  Not sure log helps any more than before, but attached anyway. I know we probably exhausted the options with this before but any further thoughts welcomed!

Attachment Size
553687-204769.log 3.01 KB
Forum Hero

DrMopp,

The last resort to resolution of the issue would be an in-place upgrade of Windows itself which will reinstall Windows but leave your programs apps and data in place.

Below is a link to a great tutorial on performing the process.

Windows In-Place upgrade

Regular Poster

Thanks for the suggestion, however while playing around with the settings to see if anything worked, I worked my way up from being able to back up individual files and folders (which did work) to attempting to back up the entire drive, which failed as before. Only when the 'SONYSYS' partition was deselected (a FAT32 partition of 260MB) did the backup run successfully.  So any thoughts regarding SONYSYS? ATI has been backing it up without issue until now.

Forum Hero

DrMopp,

Can you provide a screenshot of Windows Disk Management showing all the partitions on your Windows disk?

Regular Poster

Sure, attached.

Also screen print of  MiniTool Partition Wizard  which shows the SONYSYS label on the partition.  That partition existed in the backup last Friday (an entire PC backup) but I can only now run a disk backup with that partition deselected. 

Attachment Size
553811-204811.png 44.24 KB
553811-204814.png 134.32 KB
Legend

Have you tried assigning a drive letter to the SONYSYS partition then running CHKDSK against it?  Also look at the content in Explorer.  I suspect that this is a Sony tools partition.

Forum Star
Comments: 1718

What happens if you try to create a backup of only the SONYSYS partition?

As Steve says, it's a Sony tools partition. I think it's mostly used when needing to restore to factory settings. Do you use any Sony tools? Given all the partitions I see, was this updated to Windows 10 from a previous OS? If so, I'd say that severely lessens any use of the SONYSYS tools.