Skip to main content

Green Checkmark keeps disappearing next to backup ATI 2021

Thread solved
Beginner
Comments: 5

Recently (June 30) had trouble with my backups not running as scheduled (ATI 2021 build 35860).  If I logged onto Windows it would eventually run the backup.  Worked with Acronis and they agreed there was an issue with the schedule script/task.  Since I needed to update ATI 2021 to build 39216 anyway, I did so.  Now my daily backup is running fine and based on the schedule (10pm each night.)  My once a week back up to my external drive was the one that I worked with Acronis to finally run.  It ran a full back up and separately ran a validation and everything looked okay.  Now I am noticing the green check mark keeps disappearing next to the backup.  I ran another full validation on the full external backup which completed successfully and the green checkmark reappeared.  When I closed Acronis and re-opened it, the checkmark disappeared.  The weekly differential is scheduled to kickoff early Thursday morning.  Should I just wait to see if it clears itself up or do I still have a problem with my backup?  Has anyone else had trouble with the checkmark disappearing?

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 9017

lucia,

Please check to see if your external drive is being powered down by USB power options when the disk is idle.  If your drive goes offline or in standby then this would be a reason of such behavior.

Beginner

Enchantech - thank you for the reply.  I had trouble with my old seagate external drive and worked through all the USB power options and ruling out disk corruption.  This new Seagate external drive has had none of those problems.  I have been running it with ATI 2020 and ATI 2021 since Oct 2020 with no issue.  On June 30, 2021, neither of my backups (one to an internal SSD and one to the Seagate External) would run when scheduled but would run once I logged on to Windows 10.  I worked with Acronis twice.  The "running when scheduled" issue seems to be resolved since I updated to ATI 2021 build 39216.  In working with Acronis on the "running when scheduled" issue, the deleted and rebuilt the schedule script a couple of times on the weekly backup to the seagate external.  This was done while the build was 35860.  Because I was logged on to windows, the full back up that had been scheduled to run the night before ran.  I have run the validation on it twice.  Both with build 39216.  The validation will put the green checkmark next to the Full backup to the Seagate External.  As soon as I close ATI and reopen, the checkmark on that backup disappears even though the seagate external drive is on-line and accessible and can be validated.  The daily backup to my internal SSD drive is fine now since the assistance from Acronis (it has the green checkmark.)

It is almost as if ATI does not recognize that there is a successful backup to the external.  I can go to recovery on the external backup and I can access the backup and see the files names it backed up. 

It may just straight itself out once it runs its backup as scheduled late tonight (at least I hope).  I was just wondering what it meant when it lists the backup but does not have the green checkmark.

Forum Hero

Generally the absence of the green check mark indicates some form of issue with the backup task or the disk itself.  Does any type of marking appear next to the backup where the cheak mark should be?  If there is a mark what does it look like.

Have you tried to re-select the source data and the target location of the backups again?  This action sometimes will correct the metadata information for the task and get things working again.

Beginner

There is no other mark.  (in the past I have seen the blue arrow pointing to the right or the red mark) but since I updated, there has been no mark at all.

Both the daily backup to my internal SSD drive and the weekly backup to my external ran as scheduled.  The backup to the external also successful ran its validation.  It looks like the "not running when scheduled" issue I had was fully corrected by the update to build 39216.

The check mark is still missing form the weekly external backup.  I was reminded what Acronis support did when I first reported the scheduling problem by following your suggestion "Have you tried to re-select the source data and the target location of the backups again?".  The Acronis tech tried that on the older build (and only on the weekly backup to external.)  When he got to the select destination, it gives you that warning about the prior backup will not be selectable unless you add it.  When he did that it kept changing the name of the backup to include the sequence number from "Omen Backup Ext" to "Omen Backup Ext-0035."  Acronis support kept trying to change it back to "Omen Backup Ext", but it kept reverting.  I'm wondering if that is what is at issue.

Forum Hero

I suspect that it is this backup naming that is at issue.  Here's what I have done in the past that has proven successful for me on the two occasions I have had when the metadata used to track backups got corrupted on my install for whatever reason.  I have outlined the steps below:

1. Re-select the Source data and the Target backup file location again in the app GUI
  2. When you get the warning about prior backups will need to added acknowledge with OK
  3. Proceed with the re-selection process. Your GUI image will blur as that happens.  After that ends you will be returned to a normal looking GUI screen.
  4. In the left column of the GUI select the Backup tab. At the bottom of the middle column you will see the words "Add backup" preceded by a + sign.  To the right of that you will see an upside down carat like this "v".  Click on that carat and you will see the words "Add existing backup" appear in a popup box.  Click in this box to add the backup, you will be presented with an Explorer style screen in which to navigate to the desired backup location.  Drill down until you find the backup files.   In the backup file list you should see a 12KB file with the original backup file name.  If you have never performed a cleanup of the backup task then this 12KB file will not appear as it is created by running cleanup on a backup task.  If the 12KB file is there select it by clicking on it then select the Add button to perform the add process.  If you do not see the 12KB file then you should select the next file in the list.  This will likely change the name of the existing backup file name as the tech support person found.  If you wish to retain the existing file name then you should first run a cleanup of the task so that the 12KB file will be created so that you can select it in this scenario.
Beginner

This makes a lot of sense.  I think I understand what to do.  I have two additional questions:

I am running a Differential Backup.  When I reselect the destination or when I add backup and select files do I need to worry about picking the most recent full backup and any of its differentials or just the most recent file (which right now is a differential)?

I run automatic Clean up and retain only two sets.  The 12KB file is there and is dated back when this schedule was originally set up (1/28/2021).  Do I still pick it even though it is that old?  It does have the original name "Omen Backup Ext".

I tried screen captures so you can hopefully see my Backup schedule name, My settings and the files currently in the backup destination.

One item of note: the full backup ran on 7/15/2021.  When we manually ran the next backup which was to be a differential it appended that differential to the full back up file saved in the destination.  I have seen it do this before.  So the original date on the file Omen Backup Ext-0035 was 7/15/2021 but changed when we manually ran the backup on 7/22/2021.

Attachment Size
584245-288571.pdf 98.01 KB
Forum Hero

So the 12KB file contains the metadata about all the file in the backup chain.  Adding back that file will bring with it all files associated with the task.

Beginner

It worked!  The checkmark is back.  The only additional step I needed to do was to remove the misnamed backup (not delete everything but just remove.)  Thank you so much. The key was selecting the 12KB file when adding the backup.  I'll mark as answered.

Forum Hero

Glad to hear your report back as solved.  Enjoy!