Skip to main content

True Image 2021 freezes after almost every step. For a really long time. And again...

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 2

Hello,

I'm long time user of ATI, Last version I used was 2019. Today I upgraded to 2021 - and after upgrade installation, the program freezes all the time. Sometimes I can do two or three steps/clicks, but than it freezes again. It was even impossible to change the settings of the backup. So I uninstall the program completely and after re-installation I switch off the protection completely - but it did not help at all. For example, when I'm trying to add older backup, I have to wait for everything (even to see disc on my PC) for long minutes. And after adding the backup it freezes again.

Anybody have similar experience? Is there any workaround for this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 25746

Martin, welcome to these public User Forums.

There have been various reports of different performance issues after installing ATI 2021 with a multitude of symptoms, so difficult to say whether your experience is a match to others or something new / different!

Acronis added in the new Cyber Protection features into ATI 2021 which seem to be a main cause of these issues, at least until the new feature / services have 'settled down'!

My best advice would be to reinstall if you have removed ATI, but to do so at a time when you can walk away from the PC for an hour or two, and leave it to do whatever it is wanting to do!  Even after turning off all the new protection, there will still be background activities that will take some time to quiesce, especially if you had these turned on originally and it was in the process of downloading protection updates, running a vulnerability scan etc!

Beyond this, then you need to raise this issue directly with Acronis by opening a support ticket and complaining to them about the impact just installing ATI 2021 has on your ability to use your PC!

Beginner

Thank you, for quick response, Steve.

It seems that I found and solved the problem. Maybe it can help someone with similar issue. It is curious...

I had two external USB disks attached to the PC, both were used for backups and both have Survival Kit partition. When I disconnect one of them, everything returned back to normal - no lagging or freezing at all. But if only one disk was attached, it changes drive letter (I hate Windows for that all the time). So I MANUALLY changed the letter to the "proper" one - and after that I attached the second disk back too. And it seems that everything works fine. My interpretation is that Windows somehow "confused" Acronis and this was the reason of all problems. I hope that it remains after another restarts, disconnects etc. If the problems returns, I'll will tell you.

Legend
Comments: 25746

Martin, appreciate the feedback & update - I have not come across other references to the scenario you describe and whilst I have one USB 3 HDD + SK connected to my own PC I haven't encountered the freeze scenario, so perhaps having 2 such drives does cause ATI to be confused and trigger the freeze (or deadly embrace!).  It may have been trying to check whether the SK portion of the drives is in need of updating and the devs not considered that there may be more than one drive attached!  If so, definitely a code bug!

Beginner

Well, after restarting PC with both mentioned disks attached, the freezing returned. Finally it seems that having two disc with Acronis partition attached to the PC caused the problem. My solution is simple: to delete Acronis partition on one of these disks, as it is used for files backup only and there is no need for bootable solution (the partition was there for "historic reasons" only). But it seems to me as a bug, because such scenario may not be rare.

Thank you for your kind assistance! :)

Forum Hero
Comments: 9017

Martin,

As this is a user forum and not frequented by Acronis support on a regular basis, please use the in app Feedback options which you can find in the Help section of the app (look for the ? at the lower left column of the GUI) to report this issue you experienced.