Skip to main content

110 TIB's, can't do anything because #2 is corrupt?

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 11

I'm having a hard time believing that because #2 is corrupt in some way, the other 109 TIB's are worthless? Is there really no way for the program to go through and attempt to salvage the files that are in the remaining TIB's?

This was done using 10.4.942, but I have the same problems trying to restore from 11.

Any help would be appreciated....

0 Users found this helpful
Regular Poster
Comments: 76

That's why I never do incremental backups...only differentials. If a differential is corrupt, you can still use all the others.

Forum Star
Comments: 4263

Bill Weaks,

Does it also fail to Mount or Explore?

What is the exact error message you're getting?

Have you pinned the corruption down to #2 by removing the other files from the link?

Are all the 110 TIB files Incrementals or are you using the file split option?

Beginner

This is an disk image using the file split option, I have attempted to copy the offending TIB to another disk, and get an OS (XP) error on the file, so it thinks it's bad. I'm trying the Windows utility to find a bad sector just to see if that's the problem.

Forum Star

If there's a bad sector, then you may be able to at least Mount or Explore the image after it's fixed. Hopefully, it will work for you.

Otherwise, since file splits were being used, you may be able to get some of the data out by "replacing" the corrupt split, as in this thread: Critical 500GB backup ruined? How to recover something? In your case, since the corrupt file is #2, you would need to copy #3 to #2 since I doubt using a copy of #1 would work (the first and last splits contain different data).

Beginner

Thanks, I will keep that in my kitbag. I'm wondering where the heck Acronis is, though! It's just hard to believe that they don't have a "salvage what you can" program that would skip to the next TIB and go from there.

Appreciate the help, I'll let you know what happens....

Beginner

I tried this, and it doesn't seem to like it... Not certain as to what it would be, though you did move DOWN one notch, rather than UP one notch. I copied 3.tib to 2.tib, changed the byte to 2, then tried it. TI didn't seem to like that any better.

In my first attempt, I left 3.tib in the directory. On my 2nd, I removed it, still the same result. Grasping at straws here.

It does say I could "mount" the image, but I don't see how to do that. I'll research that, and see if you have any more clues. Amazing debugging, BTW - the sort of stuff I used to do before children! ;-)

Thanks

Forum Star

Moving up or down shouldn't matter. You just can't copy the first or last split. That's why I suggested copying 3 to 2.

All the splits have to be there and TI has to see it correctly per its number (as in the linked thread).

The Mount option is on the main menu screen. Select the Explore and Validate Backup Archives option.

How large are the split files? If they're really small, maybe 2 is required and it won't be able to be faked.

You won't be able to Validate or Restore an image set modifed this way. The best you can hope for is to Explore or Mount it and get some of the files out.

Beginner

So, I would want to keep the original #3, even after I copied it to #2 and changed the byte? Thanks

Beginner

I'm sorry, but I just don't see any of those options... I am booting into the LINUX CDROM version 11.0.8052, don't now if this version has what you are talking about.

This is just insane that there isn't some sort of cataloging function that would tell what is inside each archive, where it goes from there, etc. One byte can lose 85GB with this scheme! razznfrazzn

Forum Star

Yes. Split #3 must still exist. All the splits must exist. In this case, #2 and #3 should be identical except for the "split number" byte you changed.

You can only Mount from the Windows version. That option is not available from the TI CD.

Also, since the image was created with TI 10 (4,942), I would strongly recommend using that version to do the Mount and not TI 11. TI 11 may not see it properly and all the testing I did was with TI 10. However, if you have a different version of TI installed, you can go ahead and try to Mount the image with it. The main thing is being able to extract any files.

Forum Star

Just to be clear on this, depending on the corruption level, you can sometimes still Mount images successfully. Did you try Mounting the image with the original corrupt #2 split?

Beginner

What a maroon! Yes, I figured out it was in Windows and have attempted to mount both the modified and unmodified image, and get a "Request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".

Un freakin believable... Thanks for your patience and help on this one...

Forum Star

Did you verify that TI is showing the correct number for each split when you click on it? For example: 1 is 1, 2 is 2, 3 is 3, etc.?

Can you successfully Mount another image? (Just to make sure that part is working correctly.)

Beginner

Yes, they do appear to show the correct number - I checked the first and last 10, anyway.

I made a quick image from withing Windows, and it did mount. The Linux image mounts, but there is no total size of free space number on it...

Beginner

These are 700MB sized TIB's, BTW...

Forum Star

If you haven't already, is it possible to try Mounting with TI 10 (4,942)? If another computer is available you could try it on it if you didn't want to change the TI 11 setup. Error messages and tweaks do not always work the same in different versions/builds.

When you say "The Linux image mounts" do you mean an image created using the Linux-based version of TI (Full Mode from the CD) or are you talking about a Linux partition (Ext3, for example)?

Did chkdsk /r find any bad sectors on the drive? Have you tried copying the entire image set to another drive and seeing if you have any better results?

I assume the image was split for possible burning to CDs. Did it ever get burned? Just asking in case you have a CD #2 around somewhere...

Beginner

I am mounting with 10 - apparently we only have the Linux portion of 11, not the Windows - due to a SATA issue they sent us the ISO image of the Linux portion.

I created the image with version 10 - LINUX.

Chkdsk reduced the 2.TIB file to just a 1.2 GB file, found lots of crosslinks to other files on the drive. ;-(

I never wrote them to CD, I've just gotten into the habit of making them that size because XP won't actually copy a DVD sized file.

I'm a bit confused as to the I/O error report from Windows... Maybe it's trying to get to a sector that doesn't exist, but they should all be in the modified 2.TIB file...

Forum Star

Cross-linking is not good. Did the size of any of the other splits change? Except for the last one, they should be the same size.

Do you know what caused the drive corruption?

XP should not have any problems copying large files. Are you using FAT32 partitions (4GB filesize limit)?

Can you post a screenshot of what the hex editor shows for the start of the #3 file and of the original #2 file? It may help me to see them.

Beginner

Except for the last one, everything was good. Unknown as to what caused it, I've done it dozens of times with no problems.

shots attached.

Attachment Size
20661-87544.jpg 182.55 KB
20661-87547.jpg 182.93 KB
Forum Star

Bill Weaks wrote:
Chkdsk reduced the 2.TIB file to just a 1.2 GB file...

If these are 700MB splits, how did chkdsk reduce the #2 split to 1.2GB?

I know it's a lot of checking, but do all 110 splits show their number correctly in TI? Also, do they all have the same header info up to the split number?

I'm wondering if chkdsk linked/unlinked something in one of the other splits.

Beginner

All of the splits DO show the correct number. I'm working on the other part... I'm also going to try a completely different computer to see if that makes any difference.

>>I know it's a lot of checking, but do all 110 splits show their number correctly in TI?