Skip to main content

2010-Task changes from Create New Backup Archive to Add to Existing Archive

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 30

I have noticed that my tasks will just change from Create New Backup Archive which I have intentionally set, to Add to Existing Archive and the "Select an existing backup archive" will contain the file name in Backup location. So if I have @date@ and @time@ as part of my file name, that will be what shows up in "select an existing...". Of course, this file does not exist, so I get the error "Backup date cannot be found".

This almost always happens when I edit the task just to change the "number of backups ...". If I don't go to Archive location and change it back to "Create new Backup archive", I get the error.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 11125

Jan,
Unfortunately, this is a "feature" of TI. The prior backup locations must exist, otherwise, TI will change it to its default.

There are some workaround's such as accepting a normal name and then using a batch file to add the date and time to the file name. Acronis has a batch file to do this. Is date and time really important as part of the file name in that there is already a date and time assigned by Windows to when the file was created.

Forum Member

I had the same error or "feature" when I wasn't using the date & time. I'm guessing it's because I'm keeping generations. I wish Acronis would fix it so I don't see these errors on the calendar.

Legend

Jan,
Perhaps we can help

1. What defines your backup set? Are you only doing full backups; or are you including some incremental (if so, how many) or differential (if so how many).

2. How many backup sets do you wish to keep?

With the above info, I can suggest a batch file which would resolve your issues of backup retention.

Forum Member

I only do Full's - it depends on the backup how many I keep - but at least 3.

Thanks for the help.

Legend

This batch file has been created to retain 3 full backup archives. More or less could be saved with only a slight modification. After 3 full backups have been created, the oldest would be auto-deleted after the most recent backup is completed. Cycle would then repeat. This is a modification of BrianK earlier posting of a simple but workable batch program.

Assuming that you:
1. Assign Full-.tib as the backup file name.
2. Assign the drive letter X: to your external drive.
3. On the external drive, create a master folder called ATI-FULL where all the backup archives would be stored.
4. Plus a few additional required steps covered by step 5.
5. Download the attached Full_Oct pdf file and it shows you in detail how to accomplish this. Read the pdf and then ask your questions.

The guide (download attachment) illustrates 9 full backups being retained over a revolving period of an indefinite time. Also included are several examples of batch files to save a varied number of revolving weeks.I would be interested in any comments you might have.

After your first single full backup has been created (by your Acronis scheduled task), this batch file will rename the file and allow the next full backup set to be created on the schedule you dictate. As times passes and new backup backup archives are added, each backup creation will be renamed as one set older. Once backup file Full-9.tib has been created, it will be deleted and await the next backup creation. Backup files 1-9 will be retained on a revolving basis. It is up to the user to determine whether his hard drive has sufficient space to maintain the 9 sets of backups. For planning purposes, the first set of backups is usually representative of the storage space to be needed multiplied by the number of backup sets.

This colored illustration is specific to your needs. It can be copied into your clipboard and pasted into Notebook and saved as Rename-FULL.bat into a folder of your choosing or Drive X. The batch file can be initiated from within any folder or drive.

ECHO OFF
X:
CHDIR X:\ATI-FULL
IF NOT EXIST X:\ATI-FULL\FULL-3.tib EXIT
IF EXIST Full-3.tib (DEL Full-3.tib)
IF EXIST Full-2.tib (REN Full-2.tib Full-3.tib)
IF EXIST Full-1.tib (REN Full-1.tib Full-2.tib)
IF EXIST Full-.tib (REN Full-.tib Full-1.tib)
EXIT

Testing can be done very easily once you get all the pieces together. You don't have to wait for the schedule to complete. The testing can be accomplished by running the scheduled task manually several times back to back (waiting just enough time between runs to allow each task run to complete) to see if the backups are completed and folders renamed.

If you run the task 2 times, what you would expect to find when viewing the ATI-FULL folder would be a Full-1.tib (newest) and a Full-2.tib (next oldest). The third time the task runs, a Full-3.tib (oldest) will be added. When viewing your folder, I suggest you change the view option (explorer top menu) to "Details" mode so the file/backup dates are visible. Toggling the date created header will allow your backups to be displayed in date order.

The Full-Oct16 pdf guide was not written especially for your specific file retention but was written and illustrated for one full backup to be saved along with 9 other full backups. If backups schedule weekly, there would be 9 weeks of backups retained. Guide also lists other example of a variety of file retention. However, the general purpose of the guide is applicable to your needs. The guide is a building block to your understanding how to modify its contents to fit your needs.

PDF file updated December 26, 2009

Attachment Size
7248-85735.pdf 75.52 KB
7248-85738.pdf 75.52 KB
7248-85741.pdf 79.31 KB
Forum Member

Sorry it took me so long to respond.

I really appreciate this script - this will definitely work for the simplified file naming. Maybe in Win 7 the scripting will allow for the script to be more complicated using the file names to sort (because of date + time) and delete the oldest using that method.

Beginner
Comments: 2

I'm sorry to bring up a dead thread but I had to comment.

I had to make the batch file wait a few seconds for ATI to actually drop the backup into the folder before trying to rename the backup.
ATI was trying to run the post command instantly after creating the backup.
The OS needs a second or two to refresh the folder contents in order for the batch to run properly.

Just edit your batch as follows:

PING 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 3000 >NUL

The above code should go between lines three and four (using the above as an example), like so:

ECHO OFF
X:
CHDIR X:\ATI-FULL

PING 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 3000 >NUL

IF NOT EXIST X:\ATI-FULL\FULL-3.tib EXIT
IF EXIST Full-3.tib (DEL Full-3.tib)
IF EXIST Full-2.tib (REN Full-2.tib Full-3.tib)
IF EXIST Full-1.tib (REN Full-1.tib Full-2.tib)
IF EXIST Full-.tib (REN Full-.tib Full-1.tib)
EXIT

The number after the "-w" (3000, in this case) is the time to wait in milliseconds.
Three thousand milliseconds = three seconds...

Also, line one of your code, Grover, should read:

@ECHO OFF

NOT just

ECHO OFF

Legend

S3NTYN3L,
Thank you for the update. I'm glad you were able to modify so it would work for you.
The changes sound like they would be good to add.

if you have not investigated Chain2Gen, it is something you should try. Click my signature link below.

Beginner
Comments: 2

I've looked at C2G, but it appears to be overkill for me.

I'll just stick with my batch file to limit the amount and renaming of my backups.

Beginner
Comments: 3

Actually this is great. Saves me trying to regurgitate my mostly defunct batch file writing skills. It's dead simple. I set up these routine rotating backups for clients (now that terabyte externals are so cheap--backing up on a schedule is Computer 101 again after years of MS Bloatware™ making it all but impossible!) This will do the job nicely.

Thks.

Legend

Paul,
I'm glad you found the batch file helpful. However, I do believe that Chain2Gen offers a better solution. One fault to the batch file is if
TrueImage inadvertently changes the name format of the backup file. Such an occurrence would cause the batch file to stop working. But Chain2Gen would continue working as it is not tied to a specific name. Plus, it is not unusual for TI to cause such a change of name.