Skip to main content

2015-6055 Rescue Media does not see any external USB drive

Thread needs solution
Regular Poster
Comments: 93

It all worked OK in the trial version but now on the latest it only works on my GPT laptop. What a pity as all was going so well especially with other problems which appear to be sorted somewhat.

It no longer shows any external HDD on my MBR W7/64 desktop. They are USB3 HDD and they can either be plugged into a USB2 or USB3 port. So I can't test a restore from a backup just created. I can't get it to search for a backup disk either. It just does not seem to make the effort to find either of the 2 HDD's I connect.

However an ATI2015 backup/restore HDD could be loaded if I booted using ATI2013 media. I didn't trust going any further.

Another aspect I noticed was that my desktop PC boots to both ATI2015, Report and ADD12 as non UEFI but on the laptop the bios only finds the UEFI boot and consequentially boots only 1. ATI2015, 2. Report and c. Windows - so ADD12 can't be loaded if ever it was needed. I could however get a non UEFI boot using a boot CD.

It's no use creating the bootable media from ADD12 as it fails to load files on a USB key with error E0018000B: Cannot load the required components. Please reinstall Acronis Bootable Media Builder - whatever that means. It will only load the ADD side (excluding AT2015).

Any help please!

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 8747

xyzbird,

Just out of interest, what happens when you make the recovery media using the Universal Media Builder instead of the one within TI?

Regular Poster

Thanks Colin. I have already submitted this as a case to Acronis. I will try doing a UMB as soon as I can and give result.

Regular Poster

Hi Colin.

The UMB is mouseless in the secondary menus like it was for my desktop in the ATI2015 trial. Injecting 'force_modules=usbhid' cured that problem but things got worse in addition to there still being no external HDD detected in ATI2015. However ADD12 could see the HDD OK.

Wrongly perhaps, I went into the Universal Restore bit where no drivers had been inserted and pressed OK. It transpires that this removed all the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers - in my case this included an Asmedia 106x SATA Controller, ATA Channels 0 -1 - 1 - 4 and Intel 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller.

Rebooting, the system started to load drivers and it did a restart. Blue screening warnings came up and it was obvious that a restore was required. I had to use the ATI2013 boot CD which appears to have done the job OK.

So perhaps this will be a warning to others. Until Acronis comes up with a revised boot media, it looks like using ATI2013 (or even ATI2014) is OK as a temporary measure if absolutely necessary. I only made USB key boot media and rewrote with the latest ATI2015-6055 so lost the previous probably good working boot software unfortunately.

Forum Hero

I have to admit, I haven't got around to trying the 6055 recovery media builds as yet. Item for playing with today methinks.

Regular Poster

Again, thanks Colin and good luck.

I have just completed restoring from an archived backup where I had ATI2015-5539 Trial running (it had some time left!) and reloaded the boot media from there onto my USB flash drive injecting 'force_modules=usbhid'. I tested and it loads OK with working mouse, and external HDD discoverable.

Then I restored back to square one with that flash drive. The trial ATI2015 boot media never loaded ADD12 (I also tried that with my full ADD12 version whilst there), but I can get that from the ATI2015-6055 boot media I have on a CD.

So I now await an outcome from Acronis hopefully.

Incidentally, it might be useful to note (I haven't read much instruction) that following a restore, the external HDD in ATI2015 shows as a failed backup. I have found that if original settings are unchanged, simply starting a Validation resets this situation if all is well, and a check that an incremental backup completes with a relatively small size for a days use since the full backup.

Regular Poster

Thanks for your response. I don't know whether you have checked with your site but there is no Bootable Media available to download from the ATI2015 download in my account like there was for earlier versions. Since I submitted my case I managed to go back to my trial of ATI2015 version 5539 and produced the working bootable media that I had previously - and this required your non working mouse fix etc. I suppose I could have obtained the earlier version from my account anyway.

I am unaware that screen shots could be taken of booting events when not in the operating system.

All the links you have given seem far too complex and quite honestly rather useless. Why can't you produce software that works as well if not better than it did previously?

Whilst you go away and produce a fix I will carry on with my fix.

Regards

Forum Member
Comments: 16

My USB hard drive isn't recognized after I created the Acronis True Image 2015 Bootable Disc from Build 6055 and then restarted the computer from this media. The USB flash drive is recognized but not the USB hard drive. When I use the Add New Disk tool it only shows the internal drive even when the USB external hard drive is turned on.

Legend
Comments: 11125

Try using a different CABLE or connection port. Also simulate starting a backup or restore and see if the usb is visible.

Forum Member

Still doesn't work. Only works in Windows.

Forum Hero

@XYZbird,

That is strange, there is a downloadable ISO in my account.

I tried the Universal Media version made as WinPE yesterday, and that did see all my external drives. I'll do a Linux 32 and 64 bit one tonight.

Regular Poster

No ISO in my ATI2015-6055 - the ISO's are in my earlier ATI software. However in my next post I copy further events with Acronis support.

I had a go with WinPE - wow such a big deal! 5GB of adksetup takes ages. Anyway my external HDD is discoverable there. Whilst ATI required two additional bits of software installing to get to loading the flashdrive, I found all this could be uninstalled afterwards and the flashdrive continues to function. I assume WinPE gains direct access to the ATI on the OS partition so extreme caution required to avoid problems like blue screening when going back to Windows as I had (Windows reported "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck" whatever that was). So maybe it is a good idea when clicking ATI's red X button and the DOS screen remains - type 'exit' (without quotes) to come out to reboot.

If Grover was talking to me, plugging my external USB3 drive anywhere else with a different cable, even a USB2 port, made no difference.

Regular Poster

Hi Syed.

Once again I have uninstalled ATI2015-6055 and installed ATI2015-5539 and burnt its boot media on a USB Flashdrive and had to inject 'force_modules=usbhid' to get the mouse to work. The External USB3 HDD is discoverable where it has always been on previous installations.

I then uninstalled ATI2015-5539 and reinstalled ATI2015-6055 and burnt its boot media on a USB Flashdrive. The External USB3 HDD is undiscoverable. The only way to change this is to use a USB with the 5539 boot media.

AS previously mentioned, my Laptop does not have this problem.

I burnt your ISO Image to CD and it loaded ATI2015-6055 but the same problem persists probably because it is identical to that which can be run from the 2015 software.

I also installed ATI2015-5531 Universal Media Builder and ran the whole lot (I used a DVD-RW) and had to inject 'force_modules=usbhid' to get the mouse to work. Again no external HDD. Incidentally, I have found this is the only way to get a bootable ATI and ADD because using the software from ADD12 causes the error I mentioned earlier when I try to get ATI on.

Once again I have attached a system report from today's exercise.

Not a very good show.

Edit: I ran my AT2015-6055 again to burn a 16GB USB Flashdrive and found the file bigger for some reason and it loaded the menu for ATI2015 and ADD12. No need for 'force_modules=usbhid', but still no external HDD.

Edit: I installed the WinPE bootable media and the external HDD is discoverable there!

Regards

Forum Member

Collin B, please try the ISO and see what happens.

Regular Poster

I bet you the answer will be it is OK as it is for my laptop and with other users.

You could try the ISO from ATI2015 version 5539 to see if it works your external HDD.

Why not have a go with WinPE as well?

Regular Poster

No, No, Syed it is not resolved. I only said that I could get it to work with WinPE or ATI2015-5539.

ATI2015-6055 boot media is useless on my desktop. There needs to be an upgrade that works on all PC's.

Regards

Beginner

xyzbird,

I can confirm your problem of a USB3 external HDD not being discovered when using Rescue Media created with build 6055. The ability to discover a USB3 external HDD, however, works with Rescue Media created from build 5539. Something got broken between build 5539 and 6055. I too have successfully created a WinPE boot disk (a long and time consuming process) that works with an external USB3 HDD. By the way, Rescue Media created with build 6055 has no problem discovering a USB2 external HDD. So it appears that USB3 is the root of the problem.

. . . JBrush

Regular Poster
Comments: 413

John Brush wrote:
So it appears that USB3 is the root of the problem.

In my tests, two of my three USB 3.0 HDDs are visible from the Linux based recovery media build 6055. Of the ones that are visible, one is a 2TB MBR disk and the other is a 1TB GPT disk. The one that isn't visible is a 3TB GPT Seagate Backup Plus. The first two report as 512e sector drives. The 3TB drive reports itself as a 4096 sector drive.

So based on my observations, it appears that the Linux based bootable media is incompatible with USB enclosures that identify themselves as 4K sector drives.

The link below contains information on determining if your drive is 4K. Please check your drives that aren't visible to see if they are also 4K drives.

http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50193.aspx

Regular Poster

John Brush. All my HDD have USB3 interfaces. I tried one HDD in an old 12v powered USB2 interface and yes this is discoverable. However my AsusZenbook laptop is all USB3 based, all USB3 ports no USB2 - even the plugin optical drive is USB3, and there's no problem discovering the external USB3 drive.

Joey. Both my GPT Laptop and MBR Desktop System Information indicate all my 500GB HDD as 512 Bytes/Sector.

Regular Poster

Thanks for your response. I am not too sure about what this response is supposed to achieve. As regards the Acronis step by step procedures I suppose the following provide answers:

1. I have created many new Acronis Bootable Medias with unchanged results.

2. The procedure in the link seems to concern getting an SSD to be recognised. However what seems really relevant is the invitation at the bottom of the link page concerning creating a custom rescue CD. It asks for a system report - I have provided you with two of these. Why don't you submit these to your Acronis Customer Service Department? Clerical solutions are not working.

3. You know I have already created a working WinPE media but I don't consider this as a solution to the original problem which wasn't a problem with the previous 5539 software.

Regards

Regular Poster

Received a phone call from Acronis Management Team who suggested two solutions, the jist of which was as follows:

a] Close the case and wait for the next software update which would address the missing drivers (that were in version 5539), or

b] Wait 1 to 2 months for the creation of customised boot media.

I voted for b] and await further communications, possibly requesting an operating system based system report. So it looks like we eventually got there.

Hopefully I will report a successful conclusion.

Forum Member
Comments: 63

Got the same problem. My usb drives are 4096 both nonetheless. only 1 is recognized 3tb, while 5tb is not.

Regular Poster

The Acronis Management Team finally requested System Reports running 5539 and 6055 software from Rescue Media and OS and general PC details uploaded to their FTP site.

Beginner
Comments: 13

Same problem here... I have TIH2015 (18.0.6525) where rescue media doesn't see the USB Hard drive. Works well with TIH 2014 :o(
Really frustrating to be unable to restore a system just due to such simple things.

Beginner
Comments: 2

I had the latest build of TI2015 after using previous editions without ever having to do a backup. I'm on Windows 8.1 pro 64-bit. I am not a power user. I was going to shrink my HDD to allow a new partition to install a dual-boot Windows 10 Tech Preview operating system. Before I did any of this, I decided to check my TI2015 USB stick rescue media. I restarted the machine with the USB recovery media and it would not recognize my Seagate 500GB external USB 3.0 (but plugged into USB 2.0 port). It recognized the USB stick and the internal drive, but not the external drive where I had consistently done both full and incremental backups. So I decided I would reboot into Windows 8.1 and recreate the rescue media to see if that would work. But when I tried to reboot, Windows wouldn't start at all. I tried several things to no avail. I am good about creating system restore points and I tried that without luck. This should be much easier than this since my system configuration is very basic. Long story short, I had to reload my original Windows 7 pro and download TI2015 and attempt to restore the system from my TI2015 on the external HDD without using the recovery media. And that didn't work either. So I had to spend 10 hours reinstalling Windows 7 pro, then Windows 8.0 and then 8.1 and all the updates and then my software. Perhaps I did something wrong at some point. I created regular weekly backups. And the first time I actually needed to use that backup, TI2015 wouldn't work. I wish I could get my money back. Unless someone can tell me that the problem was caused by something else, I will never use this product again and I certainly won't recommend it to anyone.

Forum Hero

Ngondrostudent,

Is your PC UEFI based?

Beginner

Colin,

My PC is legacy - bios based.

Forum Hero

Ngondrostudent,

Do you now have 2015 installed on your PC? If you do, run a validation check on your images.
What happened exactly when you tried to restore your image from within Windows?
What type of image had you made, full disk or partition?

When you say your PC wouldn't start, exactly what happened, did you get a blue screen or what? Did you try starting it with the USB drive disconnected?

When you had Windows 7 had you activated either the Secure Zone or the Acronis Start Up Manager?

With 2015 is your recovery media Linux based or Windows PE based? TI 2015 does recognise USB 3 drives (perhaps only certain types). It might be the Linux version doesn't have a driver for your particular external drive in which case you need to make a Windows PE version of the recovery media.

Is your PC a brand name one , if it is, which brand and model.

Forum Member
Comments: 52

Hi Guys,

I've just come across this thread after finding that other people have posted the same problem on another thread. I've spent a lot of time and effort working with Acronis Support to rectify this issue. I'm keeping this thread updated with the results.... https://forum.acronis.com/forum/76154

Beginner
Comments: 1

Glad I found this thread when I searched Google for "Acronis won't recognize usb external hard drive".

I am just trying to replace a system drive with a new SSD here at work. After booting to the Acronis CD several times, checking and re-checking my BIOS settings, and testing, testing, testing, the simple answer seems to be...

"Plug the LaCie 3GB USB3 external HDD into a USB2 port on the PC". Now it's working, albeit slowly.

Maybe sometime soon Acronis will fix or better document this time sucking and perhaps common issue. But for me, my first impression with their product is a sour one. And after reading all the many posts of flaming comments on this and another thread referenced in the comment above, I can feel the heat.

Forum Hero
Comments: 9270

David,

There is a newer version of the boot media that can be obtained via the Private Message system. PM me if you are interested.

Beginner

I have a Surface Pro 3, I7 WIn 8.1pro 512SSD & docking station

I have the following issues that have been stated above

I'm using Acronis 2015 build 6525

1.) Have to use external keyboard and mouse as this version does not recognize the touch pad, surface keyboard or BT mouse

2.) I' able to create and boot a USB flash drive using the Volume down key during power up

3.) However the utility won't recognize a USB 3.0 Seagate Backup Plus 1TB or 2TB drive

Seems like numerous hurdles to just restore a backup when finally needed

Since this is the latest are there another work-around to recognize the drive

I have used Acronis successfully for years and I'm shocked by the limitations in their boot media utility and the support for the Surface Pro 3