Skip to main content

Acronis 2012 breaks QuickBooks

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 2

We are a small business service provider and recently installed TIH2012 on a clients notebook computer. We believe it broke QuickBooks.
- Startup Recovery Manager was enabled and a Secure Zone created
- A Full System incremental backup was setup to run weekly to the Secure Zone
- Online backup of user data only was also setup to run every 2 hours.

At first we thought an MS Windows or Intuit update broke QuickBooks but then we saw the same exact error happen when I installed Acronis on my personal notebook.

The error when starting QuickBooks is:
"Could not initialize license properties"
[Error 3371, StatusCode -11118]

This is no coincedence, here's why:
Our clients notebook is an HP Probook running WinXP 32 with QuickBooks 2008
My notebook is an HP Probook running Win7 32 with QuickBooks 2010
- Same error, both running AITH2012 configured the same way.

0 Users found this helpful
Beginner

Apparently ATIH2012 is not the only version that breaks QuickBooks. Perusing the Intuit forums I found several other occurrences of a ATIH2011 install breaking QuickBooks.

http://community.intuit.com/posts/error-3371-22
http://community.intuit.com/posts/error-message-loading-license-data
http://community.intuit.com/posts/error-1317-on-upgradereinstall

Forum Member
Comments: 32

I use TI 2011 with QuickBooks 2012 and QuickBooks 2010 prior to that with no trouble at all. I used TI 2011 and QuickBooks 2010 on a 32 bit Win7 Professional machine and then together on a 64 bit Win7 machine after changing out the hardware. Then on this same 64 bit Win7 Professional machine I upgraded to QuickBooks 2012. No problems as you describe whatsoever.

However, I don't use the Secure Zone or the Start Up Recovery Manager. Nor do I use the online backup feature. I do a full system backup once per week to an NAS drive.

I presume that the problem lies with the Secure Zone or Start Up Recovery Manager given those are the differences with our setups.

I'm afraid that's not really a solution for you but maybe will help to narrow down some possibilities. Also, I'm using the Canadian version of QuickBooks, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Good Luck.

Beginner

After many hours and a lot of trial and error I think I have it figured out. If you have QuickBooks installed and then create a Secure Zone, QuickBooks will give you the error in my original post and no longer open. If however you install QuickBooks after the Secure Zone is created all is fine.

I say I think I have it figured out because I've yet to test my theory. Once my personal notebook computer was cleaned up I was able to reinstall QuickBooks and Acronis. I've activated the Startup Recovery Manager, backed up online and to the Secure Zone. When I cleaned up my computer I left the Secure Zone.

BTW: to get QuickBooks and Acronis to reinstall I had to manually "Cleanup" directories, the registry, etc..., neither the Intuit or Acronis cleanup tools worked.

Forum Star
Comments: 3047

It could be the antipiracy software in Quickbooks that is conflicting the installation of the ASZ. Iirc, that's licensed by Intuit from someone else, so it might be harder to get adequate cooperation to resolve the conlfict.

Beginner

I backed up with Acronis 2011 last night Documents and Partitions but apparently my 160G hard drive back up did not have enough space for the Partition Backup. The Documents were successfully backed up. This morning I tried to open Quick books and got the following error: :Quickbooks has a problem in reading this registration file...Need to Remove this file and reinstall Quickbooks....with the following file location

File: C/program data/common file/intuit/qbregistration.dat
I am reluctant to uninstall Qb and reinstall as I am sure there will be issues and data loss. it always happens. Any suggestions?

Forum Star
Comments: 3047

Unistalling Quicken won't touch your data files. When you reinstall, jsut tell it what database file you want to open.

You can probalby do a repair install -- I can't remember if I've done this qith quicken before but if not, then an uninstall/reinstall shouldn't be a probl just a pita.

Before yo do though, you coudl try copying the quicken files from the tib to the target disk, jsut in case oany of them wrote badly during the restore as opposed to having been bad when the tib was made. That might save you an uninstall/install.

Beginner

Thanks Scott: WIll try and see how I make out. Never can be too cautious with my company financial info for a non-computer expert like myself.

Beginner
Comments: 1

To deal with licensing error, delete or rename the following file, QB will then open, but you will need to go though activating the QB installation, easy if you have the license info. This particular file resides in different directories, depending on your previous installations . I tried numerous methods to get QB to work, QBinstall util was useless. A repair install of QB was useless.

C:\Users\All Users\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v6.0\entitlementdatastore.ecml

Forum Star
Comments: 4769

Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for your messages and useful suggestions.

I did not find any known issues with Acronis True Image Home and QuickBooks in our internal tracking system, however, we would like to find out more about this problem.

Could you please post here or send me a private message with the following information:

1. Step-by-step description of your actions right before QuickBooks stopped working.

2. Version of QuickBooks and Acronis True Image Home software.

3. Acronis system report.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Thank you.

Beginner
Comments: 1

I use QuickBooks 12 Contractor Edition and Acronis True Image 2021.  I've had two major problems with True Image 2021:

1) a True Image-cloned system drive will not allow the Quickbooks app to open due to:

"Could not initialize license properties"
[Error 3371, StatusCode -11118]

Fortunately I was able to reinstall the source hard drive with Quickbooks installed and open Quickbooks without issues, and

2) If True Image Active Protection is turned on, 90% of the time Quickbooks will not open (on a cloned or non-cloned drive).  There's no error message; however, Quickbooks gets into a never ending "opening loop".  I can force Quickbooks to close and then turn True Image Active Protection off and then relaunch Quickbooks (from a non-cloned drive) and all is fine!  Something about Active Protection seems to be locking out Quickbooks ability to open the Company File.

I strongly suggest that Acronis and Intuit (Quickbooks) get their heads together to find solutions to these two issues, as many businesses use both products.  As it is now, I've learned that I can't use True Image Clone to clone a system disk with Quickbooks installed nor can I use True Image Active Protection on a system running both products!

Forum Star
Comments: 1879

The problem with QuickBooks licensing is not limited to Acronis True Image. Any attempt to put the system on a different hard drive either by restore or clone will result in the same issue.

There is a solution. All you need to do with the cloned drive is to delete a file named EntitlementDataStore.ecml from the folder C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Entilement Client\vx where x is a version number. The file should be rebuilt on the next launch of QuickBooks. You can just rename the file if you're afraid to delete it.

Don't expect either Acronis or Intuit to solve this issue. It has been going on for a very long time.

As for AAP stopping QuickBooks, you will need to experiment with what file or folder need to be added to the AAP exclusion list. There has to be a solution without the need to disable AAP.