Skip to main content

Acronis True Image 2013 - Back-up Restore losts Microsoft Office 2010 activation - Clone

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 1

Hi folks, when I duplicate my HD with Windows 7 x64, the way I use to make it works is with True Image 2013 by using bootable TrueImage CD and performing a back-up sector by sector to a file (disk signature checked). After recovering the HD (all partitions + MBR + Track 0 selected) from the file to recover to the other HD, after the full recover, replacing hd, stating computer, stating windows and so on, when opening the Microsoft Office 2010, it says that I have only 30 days left and in the source HD it is ok. But the back-up HD ("cloned") one, I get such error. Any idea how to fix it or if it has some file that I can copy from source to this destination HD? 

Thanks and have a nice day.

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 16776

Lucato, welcome to these User Forums.

When you clone a disk drive that has been used with product activation, then you also need to ensure that you copy the disk signature to the new drive and do not try to boot the computer with both drives connected (to avoid a disk signature clash / collision).

See the ATI 2013 User Guide:

Recovering partitions and disks

which speaks about disk signature recovery.

Beginner
Comments: 1

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply, but as I said in the 1st post, I did the back-up with the disk signature and Microsoft Office 2010 requires activation. So, any idea how to fix it or if it has some file that I can copy from source to this destination HD besides using the disk signature which didn't solve? 

Thanks.

Legend
Comments: 16776

Lucato, sorry, the disk signature is information stored in the MBR of the drive, so if you have recovered the disk signature to the new drive, that should be it.

See webpage: How to Change the Disk Signature of a Drive Without Losing Existing Data or Reformatting which also covers how to display what the disk signature is, that you could use to compare this for both drives to confirm if they are identical or not?

See also forum topic: Microsoft products say 'Activation required' while Acronis is performing disk backup which also reports about cloning and disk signature causing activation issues.