Skip to main content

Acronis True Image 2013 Not Working on Microsoft Surface Pro

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 1

I had no problem installing Acronis TI 2013 software on the Surface Pro. It was able to create a disk image backup successfully. I applied the Hotfix for the UEFI Loader support to the TI 2013 software and then recreated a new Rescue Boot Media CD disk. I was about to boot the CD disk and TI 2013 appeared on the screen but it was frozen for some reason.

Have Acronis Software developers really tested the hotfix-applied TI 2013 software on Surface Pro?

Are there Surface Pro owners having any issue with Acronis TI 2013 to boot USB or CD containing Acronis Rescue Boot Media?

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 9254

Even if you pass the secure boot, the recovery CD might not support your hardware. You would have to create a WinPE based recovery medium after having purchased the Plus Pack.
This happens for "regular" PC as well, in particular with newer chipset, etc.
I would open a case with Acronis. Since the Surface Pro is pretty unique, they should be able to test it.

Beginner
Comments: 3

I keep getting the following error when I try to install 2013 on my Surface Pro.
An error occurred while installing True Image 2013
Help!
The Acronis help says that I am using a bad version of the 2012 installer
I think that I bought the software from Tiger Direct on a special a few weeks ago, if that matters.

Forum Hero
Comments: 8747

Daniel,

Register your serial number to your account and check that you really do have TI 2013. If your account shows 2013 after registering, download the 2013 installer from the there and see if that will start the install. It is possible that a CD based copy is corrupted in the same way a downloaded one could be.

Beginner

Colin, RE:
Register your serial number to your account and check that you really do have TI 2013. If your account shows 2013 after registering, download the 2013 installer from the there and see if that will start the install. It is possible that a CD based copy is corrupted in the same way a downloaded one could be.

I did this. I downloaded the latest executable that was 231,543KB long, and... it would not run on the Surface. I am an Administistrator and ran it as an admin. Nothing works.

Dan

Forum Hero

Dan,

From the downloaded installer, did you get the same error message?

Your Surface is an Intel based one, not an Arm?

Beginner

It is a Windows 8 Surface Pro 128GB, which must be an Intel based unit. When I run the downloaded image I am asked if it is OK to trust this software, I clicled on Yes, and then a progress bar appears momentarily and dissappears (in about 1/10 of a second). I want to make a clean image of the C: drive before it gets too modified. This is really holding me back.

Forum Hero

Daniel,

Whilst there are a couple of posts of people succesfully installing and running 2013, there are just as many who have hit a problem like yourself. If you are still within your 30 day purchase period, raise a support ticket with Acronis directly on their support page.

Have you tried installing after disabling the Windows UAC?

Have you tried extracting the MSI installer by right clicking on th einstall option and selecting 'extract'. With the extracted MSI installer right click and select 'run as Admin', does that get you any further?

Beginner
Comments: 2

I installed TI 2013 without any problems and have done several backups to an external hard drive just fine too. This is my 1st tablet (Surface Pro 128) so I am not very savvy on such devices. I went into "Tools and Recovery" and turned on Acronis Startup Recovery Manger but the Surface Pro did not like that at all as when I boot up I get an error that says something that I am interpreting it to mean this method is incompatible for this type device -- also the keyboard does not have a pf11 key. So the reason I am out here is to see how does one get into recovery mode and restore a Surface. Totally puzzled .

Beginner

I installed TI 2013 without any problems and have done several backups to an external hard drive just fine too. This is my 1st tablet (Surface Pro 128) so I am not very savvy on such devices. I went into "Tools and Recovery" and turned on Acronis Startup Recovery Manger but the Surface Pro did not like that at all as when I boot up I get an error that says something that I am interpreting it to mean this method is incompatible for this type device -- also the keyboard does not have a pf11 key. So the reason I am out here is to see how does one get into recovery mode and restore a Surface. Totally puzzled .

Beginner

I'm using ATIH 2013 for my Surface Pro too.
Installation and creation of a backup works well.
After disabling secure boot in the UEFI BIOS even the Acronis Recovery started.
Nevertheless, the GUI seems to be frozen, because neither the attached type cover nor the touch pad works so the GUI could not be used.
A strange trick helps: use a USB hub with at least 3 ports to connect the USB stick and hard disk with the Image to recover.
When the GUI appears, just put in another external USB keyboard/mouse and everything will work.
(I have not tried just to replace the USB stick with the USB keyboard without using an USB hub)
BTW: at this point the attached type cover works too and you can disconnect the other USB keyboard.

Beginner
Comments: 1

I'm using ATIH 2013 for my Surface Pro too.
Cause the surface is impossible to make any systemsbuilds, I resetted my system to Standard and installed the ATIH 2013 again. After that I start an restore from an internal SD-Card. After new Boot ATIH make automatic the recovery starts normaly after I disabling secure boot. The GUI is therefor not necessary and works fine! ..maybe - cause I started this once again for about 10 Minutes.

Beginner

Addition to my post from 07/15/2013:
I opened a support call at Acronis to fix this problem. The support engineers found the problem and I tested a fixed boot CD successfully.
The fixed boot CD should be available within the next weeks.
Great work from Acronis - so ATIH can still be used on a Surface Pro.

Beginner

With the help of Microsoft Support, I did resolve my issue.

But, for all other Acronis Users who will buy a Surface or a Surface Pro, or a Surface Pro 2, here is the STEP-BY-STEP procedure so that Acronis performs without problems (PLEASE INSERT THOSE INSTRUCTION INTO THE ACRONIS DATABASE):

1) Copy the Acronis Set-up file on the Surface computer
2) REMOVE the TOUCH or TYPE Keyboard (purchased with the Surface unit)
3) Using the DOCKING STATION (IF YOU PURCHASED ONE FOR YOUR Surface) or use an external USB HUB
4) Plug-into that HUB an external Mouse & Keyboard
5) Plug-into that HUB the USB key you want to set-up as an Acronis USB boot USB (Recovery)
6) Now, on the SURFACE or SURFACE PRO, Install ACRONIS
7) Shutdown
8) Restart HOLDING the VOLUME KEY UP
That will bring you into the UEFI menu
Disable the SECURE BOOT option
SAVE SETTINGS - SAVE SETTINGS AND EXIT
9) RESTART the SURFACE normally
10) Start ACRONIS
11) In TOOLS,create the Acronis Secure Zone and give it a confortable size (depending on the storage space you purchased)
12) Next, ACTIVATE, the F11 (Acronis Start UP Recovery Manager)
Note: For no. 11 and 12 above, if you did not disable the Secure Boot option in the UEFI, it will not work)
13) Reboot
14) Create your USB with Acronis Media Builder
15) Disconnect the External Keyboard, et re-install the Microsoft TOUCH or TYPE keyboard into your SURFACE

REMEMBER:

If you need to activate Acronis with the F11 key, REMOVE the Microsoft TOUCH or TYPE keyboard BEFORE pressing the F11 key and install an EXTERNAL mouse & keyboard.
If you need to use your Acronis USB recovery key, START your SURFACE holding the VOLUME key UP until you see the Acronis Boot menu and SELECT 1 (Acronis)
NOTE: You will need an EXTERNAL KEYBOARD and a HUB (or the DOCKING STATION) where you insert the Acronis USB key AND the external keyboard AND mouse.

I did all that on a SURFACE PRO 2 - 512 GB and everything works perfectly.

Beginner
Comments: 9

Has anyone tried doing this using an SD flash card in the microSD slot on a Pro2?

Thanks