Skip to main content

BSOD error 0x0000007B after restoring from virtual machine using universal backup.

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 4

I have a virtual machine in VMware player 6.0.1 build 1279776. I imaged it with Acronis 2014 build 6614. When I try to restore to a physical machine I get a BSOD error 0x0000007B. I make sure to check the universal backup option and I am providing a directory where drivers can be installed from. The machines bios options are set to ahci operation. I am not even sure what else to try at this point.

I attached a log from the recovery.

Attachment Size
log.txt 14.97 KB
0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 9276

You should try setting the bios to IDE operation, often times on a new install so to speak the advanced features of the AHCI command will cause issues on boot. I can see where you loaded the drivers for AHCI but that my not help on first boot. Is this an XP or Win 7 restore?

Beginner

This is a windows 7 restore. The machine I am working with is a Dell e7440 laptop and it does not have an IDE mode so I am unable to do that.

Forum Hero

Does it show ATA or some other option besides AHCI or RAID? Your error is a Windows Stop error and the most probable cause is the AHCI being turned on.

Beginner

Nope. I have 3 options. Disabled, AHCI, and RAID on. I think ATA was intentionally left out.

Forum Hero

Set it to Disabled, this should allow Win 7 to attempt boot using standard ATA drivers. If boot is successful you can then reenable AHCI in bios. If machine refuses to boot at that point post back.

Beginner

When I do that it disables everything and tells me that there is no boot device found.

Forum Hero

Are you by chance or is this machine using an SSD? What bios version are you currently running? If you are not running bios revision A07 updated 01/07/2014 please update. This may be your answer.

Beginner

I am using an SSD. I updated the bios and had the same issue.

Forum Hero

Autumn,

I did some looking into your error and although I am not familiar with VMware Player what I find common is that the error code given seems to always relate to a disk driver error. From what I can tell this usually occurs when the virtual drive image was created it contained IDE disk drivers. Upon a restore operation with no way to change your machine to IDE mode you recieve BSOD error. There are ways to add .scsi drivers to the virtual machine but I could not find anything on AHCI. I can tell you that depending on what make of drive you have and how new that drive is, some SSD's now install as SCSI drives. The AHCI is actually an interface that allows the reading of SMART drive data and is supported by most RAID and SCSI controllers and drive software such as Intel RST.

Hope this all helps lead you in a direction that will resolve your problem.