Skip to main content

Build 6029 hangs Windows 7

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I just installed the new True Image 2010 Build 6029 and tried twice to do an incremental backup, based on a full backup from the previous version of 2010. Both times the result was that the system became completely unresponsive to any keyboard input or mouse clicks. The only way out was to cut power to the system.

The previous build of 2010 worked fine, except that the computer would go to sleep during full backups. After uninstalling Build 6029 and re-installing the previous build it works again.

My advice is DO NOT use Build 6029.

0 Users found this helpful
Beginner
Comments: 12

I fully agree with this persons post.

Today I installed the 6029 build and have similar issues. It would appear that I can only load the program once per reboot. Once you have loaded and exited clicking on the icon to load the program a subsequent time does nothing.

Build 6029 seems less windows 7 compatible than the previous build.

The only option for me is to revert to the previous build and ditch the 6029 build.

EDIT:

After a bit more investigation I have discovered the reason. When I load ATI2010 build 6029 it works... but when I exit the program it is not terminating the process. If I load the program while having the task manager open I can see the program in there... However when you exit the program that task is not being ended in any way.

I have to manually "end process" on the task in the task manager before I can reload the program.

Beginner

Yes. I also met the same trouble and the system became non responce.
So I recovered the system to build 2055 state.

Forum Member
Comments: 25

I had the same problem with TI not closing properly after upgrading (and doing a repair, beacuse the upgrade didn't fully take).

I eventually ended up doing an uninstall/reboot/reinstall/reboot and that fixed it for me.

Beginner
Comments: 4

I have the same problem.
...manually "end process" on the task in the task manager, bevore reloading the program, is not an option for me, Acronis must fix this!

So I use build 5055, works nearly perfect with Windows 7 ultimate

Beginner

I checked the new True Image 2010 Build 6029 on Vista and Windows 7 and the results are as follows:
1) On Vista, it seemed it worked normally.
2) On Windows 7, the backup stops after about 30 % progress and the system become non-responcse! (This trouble can be re-created )

So I agree to "My advice is DO NOT use Build 6029"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For developer, Please check and release revised build as soon as possible!

Beginner
Comments: 11

Kazuhiro Matsuda wrote:
For developer, Please check and release revised build as soon as possible!
Hans Peter Weber wrote:
I have the same problem.
...manually "end process" on the task in the task manager, bevore reloading the program, is not an option for me, Acronis must fix this!

Ditto!

Beginner

Hello,

My Windows 7 64bit is also Hanging with build 6029.

Where can i get a previous build to try it?
When will this be fixed?
Do there exists a fixed beta to try it?

Regards
Alexander

Beginner
Comments: 10

I also had a disastrous experience with TI 2010 build 6029 today on Windows 7 (x64).

I downloaded 6029 and tried to install it over the top of the previous build, as I always have with older versions of TI -- I've never uninstalled before upgrading before -- and about halfway through the install, the system crashed and did a hard reboot. No blue screen of death or similar error message, just a hard reboot as if I'd hit the reset button. Unfortunately, when the system rebooted, Windows 7 was corrupt and will no longer boot!

Luckily, I had just made a full backup earlier in the day, so hopefully I will be able to restore it without any issues...In any event, based on my experience and the others listed here, I advise that anybody running Windows 7 definitely avoid build 6029!

The QA on Acronis products really seems to have gone downhill in the last couple of years and it is also very disappointing that the company no longer offers free support. I now deeply regret not sticking with the built in Windows 7 backup utility. The extra features of Acronis are nice, but if the tool is not reliable, who cares?

Forum Member
Comments: 62

Same experience here and already posted in another thread.

Windows 7 Professional, x32, TI2010 build 5055 previously installed, the 'upgrade' didn't work and after a reboot, TI2010 claims that there is no True Image installed!

Yes, you read correctly: although the TI icon is on my desktop and the installation folder contains the appropriate EXE file, the application tells me that it is not installed. Btw, this is a TI2010 dialog not one fired by Win7.

OK, second try to install TI2010 build 6029, now it runs but after exiting TI, it still remains in the memory as the TaskManager quickly shows up.

So my advice here, too, DO NOT INSTALL BUILD 6029

Forum Member
Comments: 25

As I've mentioned earlier in the thread, uninstall/reboot/install/reboot. That fixed the "after exiting TI remains in memory" issue for me.

My advice would not be to not INSTALL build 6029. Mine would be to not try to UPGRADE to 6029. Uninstall first.

Beginner
Comments: 9

Hi there. I posted this on another thread re. 6029 but thought I would share with you my experience with it:-

"Build 6029 has been a disaster for me (Windows 7, x64) yet 5055 worked perfectly.

I installed last night and closed down properly. Booted up tonight and W7 would freeze before displaying the desktop and all hard drive activity ceased. I have ATI scheduled to run a backup of certain files at 7am everyday which usually means it runs it when I boot up for the first time on an evening. I've spent hours trying to find the problem and almost was at the point to restore from a previous full backup from Friday.

I then finally manged to boot into safe mode and noticed that all of my schedules were shown as 'last run unknown' so I deleted them all and W7 booted up ok. Tried to run a backup of my emails and it just froze my system resulting in a hard reboot to get things working again.

Not sure what Acronis has done with this build but I'm going back to 5055 which as I mentioned earlier works perfectly for me."

Beginner

I've got the same problem. My Win7-32bit locks up as soon as the scheduled backup started with the 6029 build.

EdF
Forum Member
Comments: 70

Agreed 6029 is locking up Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. I UNINSTALLED 5055 version first.

Went back to 5055 and all is fine again. I'd love to know if this release was ever even tested on Win 7. Doesn't seem likely.

Beginner

Frode Hauge wrote:
As I've mentioned earlier in the thread, uninstall/reboot/install/reboot. That fixed the "after exiting TI remains in memory" issue for me.

My advice would not be to not INSTALL build 6029. Mine would be to not try to UPGRADE to 6029. Uninstall first.

Uninstall dosn't fix the problem!
My advice is too, do not install build 6029, try build 5055, it works perfect.

(OS is windows 7 x64 ultimate)

Beginner

Same here, besides I can run the installation routine, but as soon as ATI build 6029 is installed, and I start the Program nothing happens here, "wait forever", no matter if I have a restart or not after installation.
So, I turned back to 5055 and it´s working fine.
Btw I´ve tried both, update and fresh install (build 6029), no chance!!
Is there someone from Acronis taking a look at all these probs of the customers, and could give a support?
My OS is Win7 HP 64.

Beginner
Comments: 2

Yes, I also have same problems. After upgrade from 5055 ATI to 6029 ATI 2010 claims it is not installed! I tried deinstalling and reinstalling b6029, but after that windows 7 freezes when running scheduled backup - only thing I could do is hard reset. I have restored my system image which was made with build 5055, before upgrading to 6029 and everything is OK again.

Plese fix this ASAP!

P.S. OS is windows 7 x64 ultimate.

Beginner

Yes I have similar problems. I have used previously uses build 5055 and it worked fine. Upgrading to 6029 and it failed to even start the backup before hanging. Tried system restore back to 5055 and uninstall it and install 6029 afresh and it hung again at the backup step.

I've now gone back to 5055.

I also thought I'd try 6029 on my laptop running Win 7 that's brand new and hasn't ever had ATI installed on it and appears to work with no problem!! So from this primitice test it seems to be a migration/registry issue.

Beginner

Following on from my last post I still can't get it working but have more info:-

I tried the following:-

Disabled AntiVirus
Disables Acronis NonStop and Scheduler services
Rebooted
Uninstall ATI build 5055
reboot
remove Program files(x86)/acronis Program file(x86)\common\acronis and ProgramData\Acronis
cleaned the registry with CCleaner (couldn't see any obvious Acronis issues)
rebooted
installed ATI build 6029 OK
rebooted
Attempted a One Click backup to another SATA drive. Bit of drive activity by then hang completely with no progress.

Windows system restore back to 5055 to get a working system back.

Beginner
Comments: 5

Same problem here.
Windows 7 lock-up using fresh install of build 6029.
Fresh install of windows 7 ultimate 64 bit on an Asus G2S-B1 laptop.
Internal hard drive appears to shut off (no activity) - machine hangs shortly after initiating a disk backup.
Acronis True Image Home 2009 works fine on the Vista partition on same computer.
I burned $50. I hope this is resolved soon. I don't see how to download a previous version...
This is the ONLY software I installed (aside from drivers and windows updates).

Forum Member
Comments: 30

I will pile on. I first purchased Acronis 2009 back in July and used it on my Vista x64 machine with no problems. In fact, after I installed a new version of Intel Matrix Storage Manager (IMSM) ver 8.9, it saved my bacon. I have since gone back to IMSM 8.8. I am running a RAID 5 configuration. Anyway, purchased and installed 2010 this week and have nothing but problems. In fact, I can't get 2009 to work anymore. The backup starts and then everything becomes unresponsive. The cursor moves around the screen, but nothing else. CTL+ALT+DLT does not work. The system clock on the screen does not update. When I power down, half the time I need to use msconfig, stop all Acronis software, rename the directory to Acronis.xxx, and then I can finally boot up in normal mode. Rename the Acronis directory back to Acronis and uninstall. This stops a service and completely eliminates the directory. I haven't attacked the registry yet, but that would have been my next attempt had I not seen that EVERYONE is having a problem. There appears to be a real compatibility problem between 2010 and Windows 7. I have not been able to complete a backup.

Beginner
Comments: 16

Same sort of lockups here with W7x64 Ultimate and build 6029. Doesn't matter whether it is on an SSD or a dino drive. Doesn't matter whether it is using Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers (9.5.0.xxxx) for RAID0 or W7 native drivers on a single drive. I've been trying all kinds of combinations on a test box and it just plain locks up. Period. Very frustrating. But then, once in awhile a backup or image mount will proceed. Odd. Good to know going back to 5055 might help, though. Thanks guys.
Tom

Beginner

Same problem. ATI2010 build 6029 with Windows 7 Ultimate 64. System freezes with last statement in log being "Locking partition C:...". Windows logs/events give no clues. I would like to know how to download the previous version.
Gordon

Beginner
Comments: 1

Running 5055, the Continuous Backup doesn't work, and now I go to 6029 and it hangs Win7. I feel like I just bought a beta...

John

Win7 Pro 64 bit

Beginner

@all who like to know how to get the build 5055

Go to your download page after you logged in. Copy the download link of the current version. For me it is: https://www.acronis.de/my/download/?TrueImage2010.6029_s_de.exe. I hope for you it will be similar.

Then change 6029 in the link to 5055 and put the resulting link ito the address field of the browser.

I hope this works not only for me.

Regards
Alexander

Forum Member
Comments: 62

When de-installing build 6029 will I loose my current backup jobs? If so, can I somehow backup the jobs and restore after installing build 5055?

Forum Hero
Comments: 8747

Micky wrote:
When de-installing build 6029 will I loose my current backup jobs? If so, can I somehow backup the jobs and restore after installing build 5055?

If you uninstall using the TI uninstaller, then all your tasks will remain. However, whether the previous build on installing will index them as scheduled, or put them in the Unscheduled tasks slot I don't know.

Beginner
Comments: 14

While I haven't installed this - still using 2009 version, I'm going to add my comment. And, ask for the Forum to, "Notify me when new comments are posted".

I'd like to know when this problem is settled.

I expect to install Windows7 on a new 1.5Tb drive (when Amazon delivers it), and use TI2010 after the electronic dust settles.

Forum Member
Comments: 36

Glad I read this thread before I installed--wish I'd searched the forum further before I purchased, but I needed a newer build of TI than my 2010.
Thanks, Alexander, for the tip: I'm now downloading build 5055.
BTW, has anyone managed to make a Recovery Disk of build 6029, and if so, does that work all right for making (and restoring) images of Windows 7 x64?

Beginner

I've now found a copy of build 5055. Do I assume correctly that those who have reverted from build 6029 to 5055 have not used an "Acronis Clean Up Utility for Windows 7" (see Topic 4148)? or is there such a tool to be downloaded?

Beginner

I just used the standard Windows uninstall (in Programs and Features) and had no problems getting rid of build 6029.

Forum Member
Comments: 36

Gordon Jobling wrote:
I've now found a copy of build 5055. Do I assume correctly that those who have reverted from build 6029 to 5055 have not used an "Acronis Clean Up Utility for Windows 7" (see Topic 4148)? or is there such a tool to be downloaded?

There is, and I downloaded it just in case. http://kb.acronis.com/content/1727

Actually I have not installed either build just yet, since I prefer to make my first few images from the rescue CD--especially in this case. My workaround--I installed build 6029 Ion my old laptop which was running Win 7 x32 RC, made a rescue media .ISO and disk, and then used build 6029 to revert the laptop back to its XP state (which I was going to do anyway).
The 6029 Recue CD boots up OK (not counting a puzzling linux "not found" message that flashes by, and the program loads. I haven't made an image with it yet, though.

Beginner

Thanks for the info. Thinking about it again, the CD boot disk is a good idea. I'll do my full system disk backups on a CD boot untill the fix appears.

EdF
Forum Member

Version 6029 is so broken under Windows 7. Don't even download it. Fortunately I retained a copy of the original 5055. 

This company has the absolute WORST TECH SUPPORT I have ever experienced. I sent them an email about an issue last Monday and today, ONE WEEK LATER they replied with a response that didn't even have the slightest relationship to my question and on top of that said that I should download 6029 BECAUSE I HAVE WINDOWS 7.

Why do they even bother answering? They make themselves look like fools with "technical support" responses like that. While they seem to be in Massachusetts their support must come for Outer Slobovia.  It's no wonder people say they pirate software because most of what they pay for is such crap and are tired of getting ripped off.

Thanks for nothing "Sam Hancock" ... great name, couldn't make a better one up myself.

Beginner
Comments: 1

Just piling on:
1) 5055 seems to work pretty well on my Win7 32-bit install. No issues that I can see with either traditional backup or Continuous backup.
2) After installing 6029, it went all to h**l. As soon as any task starts running, the entire system becomes unresponsive. Mouse moves, but that's it. Can't change focus, apps are all locked up. Hard reboot is required.

I also tried, as was suggested in one message, doing a full uninstall of 5055 prior to installing 6029, and that had no effect. 6029 was just as broken.

I also was dismayed, after purchasing the Plus pack, to discover that it REQUIRES build 6029, making the purchase effectively useless, since 6029 thoroughly breaks the machine, as described. (Unless there's a hidden 5055 plus pack build out there somewhere?)

EdF
Forum Member

What's worse in my mind is that Acronis won't even acknowledge there is an issue and keeps recommending 6029 as a response for ANY question sent to tech-less support.

Forum Member

Well, I have nothing but bad news. Neither 6029 or 5055 works on my system. 5055 gives me the Blue Screen of Death. It appears to be an Acronis driver tdrpm251.sys which is the "Acronis Try&Decide Volume Filter Driver." I saw the same problem in 6029, but it is really bad in 5055. The only way for me to get my system stable enough to uninstall TI 2010 was to boot in safe mode, disable the two Acronis services, use msconfig.exe to to not load the two Acronis apps, and then reboot and uninstall.

I think the problems are centered around the non-stop backup functionality. Anyway, I am not using the app until someone at Acronis gets it together and fixes this. I paid for an upgrade and all I have now is junk.

I have a clean and stable system until I install Acronis. The scheduler slows logon and the driver crashes my system. I'm sure the problem is with the Acronis driver and not Microsoft or my other applications.

Forum Hero
Comments: 8747

Michael,

Have you tried running the Acronis report utility? If you can make or have made a rescue CD you can run this utility which will list all the drivers etc installed - this might help Acronis pin point why your system seems to be so severly incapacitated. Running MS sysinfo might be usefull as well.

Forum Member

I have a retail disk from purchasing TI 2009. For TI 2010, I downloaded the product. I will see if I can download a boot disk ISO and use that. My system won't stay up long enough to allow the program to construct and burn a recovery disk.

I will play with this more later, the problem is every time I get the BDS, my RAID enters verify since the operating system didn't have a graceful shutdown. I am a little conservative and let it finish verify before I troubleshoot again.

I did notice that uninstall does not remove the tdrpm*.sys drivers and I had about four of them from TI 2009 and TI 2010. I checked the registry and none are referenced, so I think I am clean right now. If I can, I will run a report, but I believe there is something wrong with this driver.

Forum Member

I just finished reading thread 5377: BSOD on Windows 7 - EXCEPTION_DIVIDE_BY_ZERIO tdrpm251.sys.

Very interesting stuff on the correlation between my problems, USB drives, and upper and lower filters. I am going to try the fixes suggested there and see what happens. I need to be careful however, the bad behavior causes the system to crash and I don't want to be in regedit when that happens. I need to ensure a stable system before I attempt to edit the registry as suggested.

Acronis-Why is the average consumer pushed to this level of work around and debug? This is a consumer product and should not have these problems.

Forum Star
Comments: 1027

It's like you have to be qualified as a Geek to be able to use the software.

Beginner
Comments: 2

I have same issue with build 6029, namely Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit becomes unresponsive and needs a cold boot.

Thanks Alexander Kunkel for the advice on downloading 5055. Your advice worked and I'm now working under the previous release. Used:

https://www.acronis.com/my/download/?TrueImage2010.5055_s_en.exe

Do you have a link for the BartPE & SafeMedia addon?

Beginner
Comments: 14

A remarkable number of people are having problems with Build 6029 - on this thread and numerous others. I've no doubt these problems are very real, having been there myself with other software.

I wish, however, there was a way to quantify this problem. That is, for every 100 users - how many are using 6029 successfully and how many are not. I started checking other products and find it difficult (impossible?) to make a valid comparison between products.

My intention has been to upgrade from Acronis 2009 to 2010; but, the whole idea of doing a image backup is to improve reliability - not degrade it.

EdF
Forum Member

Most people don't come to a forum to say "it's working fine." They come with problems so you will never have a "valid comparison." Since you didn't see messages like this with 5055 version there is obviously a problem and what is most shameful is that Acronis won't acknowledge it either by email or here. As of yesterday their useless tech support replies with a link to (edited typo) 6029 for ANY problem with the keyword "2010" in it. They are nothing but robots.

RICHARD EMERY wrote:
A remarkable number of people are having problems with Build 6029 - on this thread and numerous others. I've no doubt these problems are very real, having been there myself with other software. I wish, however, there was a way to quantify this problem. That is, for every 100 users - how many are using 6029 successfully and how many are not. I started checking other products and find it difficult (impossible?) to make a valid comparison between products. My intention has been to upgrade from Acronis 2009 to 2010; but, the whole idea of doing a image backup is to improve reliability - not degrade it.
Regular Poster
Comments: 200

Ed Feins wrote:
As of yesterday their useless tech support replies with a link to 6055 for ANY problem witrh the keyword "2010" in it.

6055? A new build?

Beginner

Having the same problem as most of the rest of you. ATI2010 build 6029 with Windows 7 Ultimate 64. It just keeps hanging and I can't do anything but turn the machine off.

EdF
Forum Member

Obviously a typo .... meant 6029.

Marc Paulin wrote:
Ed Feins wrote:
As of yesterday their useless tech support replies with a link to 6055 for ANY problem witrh the keyword "2010" in it.

6055? A new build?

Beginner

I must say your products used to be the cream-of-the-crop and best-of-breed when it came to backup and recovery. It was a given that things would work: as expected, as documented, and in a reliable fashion. They have not failed me in a significant fashion for the vast majority as I have been an Acronis user.

However, this reputation has been significantly tarnished as of late. The last two versions of your Enterprise, Mid-Market, and Home products have been beyond sub-par.

I have used your products since 2001 (a year after you became a recognized company) and have always been impressed and relied on them for my backup needs.

I cannot make these claims any longer.

Your reputation in the industry has been tarnished and bruised. You’re production quality releases have been a joke, and your customer service is legendary in the industry as somewhat of a joke.

I cannot recommend your products to my clients, my industry, much less my friends any longer.
Please; to save your reputation as a provider of backup, storage, and utility computing services – take another look at your development process, your Quality Assurance Process, and even more important: your customer service (which stinks).

As a provider of over 50 Acronis Enterprise Licenses, I’m off to greener pastures. It is such a shame to see such a wonderful product go downhill so fast; especially in the age of Fortune 100/500/Industry tightening their belts and re-evaluating providers.

If a company cannot rely upon its disaster recovery provider in its time of need, you can imagine how fast this will spread within the industry. It takes one well-connected geek to spread his vitriol within his sphere-of-influence to sink a disaster-recovery provider; especially in the days of companies not wanting to renew contracts.

Think about it. Re-evaluate your development ideas and your Quality Assurance. Pace your time-to-market strategy.

Or don’t..

EdF
Forum Member

Send tech support an email and put the words "Windows 7" in it and see what you get. They've gotta use robots to answer tech-less support emails. What's also funny is when you write to their "manager@acronis.com" email address to voice your complaint about their lousy service as they request on their website the SAME GUY replies to you with the SAME robot answer.

Isn't this company actually located somewhere in Russia with only a sales office in Massachusetts?

Terry Crawford wrote:
Having the same problem as most of the rest of you. ATI2010 build 6029 with Windows 7 Ultimate 64. It just keeps hanging and I can't do anything but turn the machine off.
Beginner

Bingo.

That's what I'm talking about.

Acronis has moved from caring about being a dominant player/best-of-breed to manipulating people via Bangalore and Singapore..

All the while skimping on Quality Assurance and Customer Support.

However, one good thing about Capitalism and word-of-mouth is that the same engine that created the giant can also bring it to it's knees. There *are* alternatives out there for disaster recovery and backup; as where before there were only imitators. There are free options that work better or as 'good'.

As before there was an individual on a mailing list espousing the benefits of Acronis. These days there are Python, Perl, LVM, VSS, VBS scripts that even rival the most tested-and-true Enterprise capabilities of Acronis.

I'm ashamed to have recommended them past 2008. The quality has gone downhill quite a bit since then. Their customer service is something out of a slasher movie.

Beginner

Similar issues here with Win7 x64 and TI 2010. Lockups started when TI 2010 installed, stopped when uninstalled, started again when TI 2010 installed, stopped again when uninstalled.

Then there are the boot disks that no longer work. Reported to Acronis more than once but unresolved except for a tedious workaround using BartPE.

Then there are the huge memory leaks that lock up Windows XP that started with TI10 and still remain despite being reported more than once. (TI's context menus cause memory loss that is never recovered and can exhaust available memory with long file lists.)

Then there is the incorrect handling of partition tables when restoring disks using Linux GRUB to multiboot between Windows and Linux.

The core functionality of True Image just keeps getting worse with each release. Maybe Acronis should scale back on the extra features they keep adding and make the core product work properly again.