Skip to main content

Cannot do a disk restore using True Image 2014

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 3

1 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 17180

Harley, welcome to these public User Forums.

Sorry but much too little information to be able to help you with this topic.

What are you trying to restore?
What version of Acronis True Image was used to create the disk backup file?
What version of Windows is installed?
How are you trying to do the restore?
What errors are you seeing?

Legend

Harley, if you are having issues with posting to these forums, then please send a message to the Acronis Forum Moderator - Ekaterina who will be able to check if there are any issues with your Acronis Account or Profile?

When posting any updates you need to click on the SAVE button lower down the page (below the File > Upload option).

Beginner

Third try to supply data...  Using Acronis True Image 2014 and backing up to a Passport 2Tb drive on USB 3 on HP Pavillion with AMD 4-core processor.  Operating System is Win 7, SP1 with current updates.  Hard drive, Seagate 750 Gb Sata II 32 mb cache ceased to boot.  Replaced with an identical drive.

Booted TI 2014 from CD drive and chose option to add new drive, initializing as NTFS with primary partition 'C', logical partition 'D'.

Chose 'Restore Disk' option using the path found by Acronis to the full backup on the Passport USB drive.

'Next' takes me to 'Partition 2-1'  which shows 'C' and 'D' created on disk 1 as the target.

'Next' takes me to Partition 'C'  in which the USB drive shows now as disk 1 and the Seagate as disk 2 with C and D greyed out.  It seems to want to create partition 'C' on the Passport USB drive!

Cannot get to the 'Recover Now' command by any means.  What have I missed?  All I wanted was a complete image restore to the new disk.

Legend

Harley, please see forum topic: [How to] recover an entire disk backup - this was written using ATI 2017 and the Rescue Media so the panels should not be any different to your ATI 2014 rescue media.

The key point is in choosing to top level Disk selection box so as to avoid having to configure each individual partition on the disk. This is shown in the PDF document.

Beginner

Thanks for the help.  Everything goes as you have indicated through step  6.  After selecting disk 1 and allowing the partition data to populate, the next option is partition 1-1 and both the backup source (Passport USB drive) and the newly defined drive are presented as drive 1 and drive 2.  Cannot get any further.  I'm guessing Acronis has not made the distinction between the whole disk and partition restores.  I'm not seeing the screen in step 7.  Now what?

Legend

Booted TI 2014 from CD drive and chose option to add new drive, initializing as NTFS with primary partition 'C', logical partition 'D'.

Harley, if you are restoring to a drive that is already partitioned as indicated above, then I would suggest removing those partitions then trying again.  If using Add new disk, then initialise the drive but leave it as unallocated space which Acronis should automatically select for the recovery target.

Beginner

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You...  It worked!  

There were two problems: As you indicated, the target disk needed to be 'unallocated' and the 'recovery' command was only visible in a right click on the backup pathway!  Pass those hurdles and off it goes!

The realization was that my backup strategy was less than perfect.  I had one 'full backup' followed by forty-three incremental backups spanning four years.  I'm  assuming I'm doomed to applying each incremental backup in similar fashion, in ascending order, to insure updates are applied correctly?  Is there any way to automate  the process?

Again, Thank You.

Legend

Harley, with incremental chains, you just need to select the most recent file in the chain and Acronis will take care of recovering the data from all the files in the chain going right back to the initial full backup.