Skip to main content

Cloning is very slow using True Image WD edition

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Posts: 1
Comments: 4

Using True Image WD edition to clone 80GB ATA IDE disk to 160GB ATA IDE disk.
80GB disk is a Windows XP SP3 C:/ drive formatted as NTFS.

I am running True Image WD from Windows (I see now that this is not recommended) - it has rebooted into a kind of Windows/DOS mode to do the clone.

The clone is proceeding, but VERY slowly - it looks like it will take about 6-8 hours, at current speed. It is on step 3 of 4 at about 15%.

I have it set to clone and re-size partition. There is only one partition on the source disk.

Questions:

1. Is this speed typical? (I'd expected about 2-3GB/min or about an hour or so in total)

2. Should I stop the current process and re-start? If so how should I stop it - ESC?

3. Is it really important to use the boot-CD method?

Thanks in advance

0 Users found this helpful
Beginner
Posts: 1
Comments: 4

#1

I forgot to say that both drives are connected internally.
I think both are jumpered to cable select.
The C:/ source is still on its previous boot cable.
I have two other CD drives on the IDE cables,
The source drive has about 4GB of the 80GB free.
The system is a P4 2.66

At current rate it will take just under 9 hours (42% so far and 3.75 hours passed)

Legend
Posts: 172
Comments: 11125

#2

I cannot speak of your exact situation but here are a few comments.

1. I would NOT (repeat Would NOT) interrupt the process until it either completes or fails. Stopping the process could render your drives so the data could not be recovered on the source drive.
2. Yes, the preferred method is when booted from the CD.
3. Speed is normally much faster so there may be other complications.

Beginner
Posts: 1
Comments: 4

#3

GroverH - thanks for replying - sounds like good advice to leave it going (82% after 7.5 hours!)

Any guess what time I might expect if everything was OK?
I have used Paragon drive copy before to create full-disk backups over USB and the 70GB usually takes about 1.25 hours-ish.

Looking about here for things to check, I see I need to:
* check DMA on the drives
* check the source for errors
* run off the boot CD

Any other ideas?

Legend
Posts: 172
Comments: 11125

#4

The WD version is limited in functions. If I remember correctly, the CD does not have the Clone or Backup option but I believe it has the REsotre option. I believe you can create backups from within Windows and restore them from Windows or the CD. If the Clone operation is not successful, you may need to do the backup and restore option.

Beginner
Posts: 1
Comments: 4

#5

OK - the backup was sucessful and appears to have created a good copy. Both the old disk and the new boot OK and seem to have the same data. Thanks GroverH for the good advice to leave everything. In the end it took over 10 hours.

On investigation, the problem seems to have been that the second drive was set to PIO access mode.

The fix to improve PIO to DMA was to set the second disk to 'auto' in the BIOS, and then Windows set access to DMA.

Some more info for anyone coming to this thread:

[NOTE - I have not checked that this fixes the cloning problem - but it is the only problem I found. I also checked for disk errors (CHKDSK), IDE driver was correct and that I had the correct 80-wire cable connecting the drives.]

PROBLEM: Very slow speed when cloning from one internal IDE disk to another.

PROBABLE REASON: Second drive was set to PIO access instead of DMA access. This is much slower.

DIAGNOSIS: In Windows, check in: Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware tab > Device manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI controlers > Double click on Primary IDE channel > Advanced settings. In Device 1 the transfer mode is set to PIO.

FIX: Exit Windows and restart, holding down whatever key you need to get into the BIOS. Find the second drive and make sure you have it BOTH recognised AND allowing UDMA (or DMA).

ISSUE ON MY DELL PC: (Dimension 4600) UDMA was already enabled, and the second drive was working. In the BIOS, the second drive was set to OFF and still it worked. To get DMA, I had to set the drive to 'auto' and allow it to recognise the drive after re-boot.

Check the diagnosis steps above again to see if DMA is now enabled by Windows.

(BTW: It seems a shame that Acronis True Image did not check the DMA/PIO settings before doing this.)