Skip to main content

Decompress .tib file with True Image Home 2012 > will not install

Thread solved
Beginner
Comments: 2

I have an old .tib file that I want to decompress. I downloaded the installation file from the Acronis website but it want install on my (Dutch) Windows 10 computer.

Is there a possibility to decompress without buying a new version or even without installing the old True Image Home 2012 version?

I tried to chat with a support engineer but the chat was closed without giving any answer. I calles Acronis two times and they hang up without anybody talking to me.

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 26397

Welcome to these public User Forums.

By 'decompress' do you mean you want to extract the contents from the .tib file or recover those contents to a new location?

ATI 2012 is too old to be able to be installed on Windows 10 but could be installed on a Windows 7 system if you had one available?

The Backup Archive Compatibility  documentation published by Acronis suggests that all recent versions of Acronis True Image and the new Cyber Protect Home Office follow on product should be able to work with backup images created by ATI 2012 and some older versions.

You could download a trial copy of any of those products and install this to work with the .tib image file.

If you prefer to use an older version of ATI that can be installed on Windows 10 without all the extra features added by Acronis then see the Product Updates page with download links for all versions.  I would suggest trying ATI 2016 ( Acronis True Image 2016 for PC ( Build #6595 ) ) which works fine on Windows 10 but doesn't bring the Protection features that came in later versions.

The only alternative would be to download the ISO for the ATI 2012 Linux based rescue CD from your Acronis Account (assuming you registered your 2012 serial) then try to boot your PC from that CD to work with the tib file, but this may present other issues due to the age of the boot media and new hardware technology in modern PC's!

Beginner

Thank you very much for your detailed answer Steven. I am indeed reluctant to install a version that contains a lot of functionality that I don't need. Installing version 2016 is therefore my preference, but I do not have a registration number. I assume my number of version 2012 is not suitable for this?? 

The downside in both cases is installing software for single-use. Is it possible to install the software on a Virtual machine? 

I don't have any experience with that and wonder if it wouldn't be easier to just install the Trial version of the latest Acronis product.

Legend

If you install ATI 2016 it should function as a 30-day trial version to allow you to access the contents of your 2012 tib file.  If that is the only use you need it for, you could uninstall ATI again when done!

Installing ATI on a virtual machine is definitely possible but you would need to setup a new VM with Windows first, which will take some time, plus also choose what software to use for running the VM too.

Personally, I have been using VMware Player 16 on my PC for some time to create and run various different VM's but have recently switched over to using Hyper-V which is integrated into Windows 10 Pro as this fully supports running Windows 11 in a VM with UEFI Secure boot and TPM enabled (which VMware doesn't currently!).

Windows 10 can be installed in a VM and run for evaluation without a license with minimal restrictions (no personalisation possible), which is very useful for testing purposes.  Again you would still need to perform a Windows 10 install in a new VM before you could install ATI 2016.

Beginner

Steve thanx a lot... I installed ATI 2016 and decompressed my file... de-installed ATI 2016: mission completed
;-)

Legend

Glad to read that all has gone well for you - thanks for the feedback!