Skip to main content

deleting files from Backup (TIH2009)

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 9

Hello

I would like to delete files from tib-Backups to shrink them but I cannot consolidate the backup after that.

What I have done:

I have started acronis TIH2009, mounted an existing backup and then I have deleted files. Then I have dismounted the drives and started the consolidation process where only the original backup were tickable. The new "backups" for the edited backups were shown but they were grey and I could not tick the checkboxes.

Is there somebody who can help me to shrink my old and big backups?

How can I consolidate the edited backup files?

BTW: I'm using the German edition so I'm quite sure that the English nomenclature is different to my used terms.

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 16763

Henk, my understanding of the method that Acronis used to provide in older versions of ATI (long removed from later versions!) is that the deletions were applied to an incremental or differential type file and not actually removed from the original backup file.

The only real way of shrinking your old and big backups that I can suggest would involve having to first restore those backups to a spare disk drive, then do all the deletions required before making a new backup of the modified drive.

Beginner
Comments: 9

Steve Smith wrote:

Henk, my understanding of the method that Acronis used to provide in older versions of ATI (long removed from later versions!) is that the deletions were applied to an incremental or differential type file and not actually removed from the original backup file.

As far as I understand it (sorry, my English is terrible) is as you wrote. When I delete something in an mounted backup and then dismount it acronis generates a new differential backup file with an appended index number. The original backup file keeps unchanged.

In my opinion there is no technical different to a normal differential backup so that I do not understand why it is not possible to consolidate to an edited backup file.

The only real way of shrinking your old and big backups that I can suggest would involve having to first restore those backups to a spare disk drive, then do all the deletions required before making a new backup of the modified drive.

I thought about this way already but it would be much more extensively.

OK, maybe someone else knows a way how it could be done simpler. If not I will take the circuitous way.

Thank you for that.