Skip to main content

Error 1326: Logon failure unknown user name or bad password

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 2

I just bought True Image 2009 and my backups fail due to the error and description in the Subject line. Can anyone help me fix this? Thank you.

Mark

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 8747

Is your version of 2009 a download or from a CD? If from a CD, you might need to upgrade to the latest build.

What OS are you using?

Are you imaging a complete disk/partition or files and folders backup?

Where are you attempting to placing the images?

At what stage of the task does this error appear?

Did you install for all users or just your log on?

I assume you haven't changed the name of the computer in Windows and that your log on has Admin privileges.

Is it possible that you've entered the incorrect password in the task creation form?

Frequent Poster
Comments: 942

Hello Mark,

Thank you for using Acronis Products

1) The program requires Windows authorization for a scheduled task execution. That is why you should enter your account name and password both to let Acronis True Image Home 2009 log in Windows with Administrator's rights and execute a scheduled task. The user name should be specified in the form of SERVER\USER or DOMAIN\USER.

2) If the issue persists create a new account with administrator rights (Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> User Account), then login under this account and use login and password of the account to schedule task in Acronis True Image.

Beginner

I have the CD but I also downloaded the update.

I am running Vista

I tried both backing up selected files and creating a disk image of C:

I have an external hard drive just for backing up: WD My Book 1TB

It tries to do the task but then the green bar goes in the opposite direction and the error message occurs

I installed it for all users

I definitely have admin privileges and have not changed any names

Is there a place where I can verify the password?

Thank you for your help

Mark

Frequent Poster
Comments: 942

Hello Mark,

Thank you for using Acronis Products

I would recommend you to create new account with Administrator rights and see if the issue persists. Most probably you type the wrong password for your Windows account.

OC
Beginner
Comments: 14

I am having same issue.  I did enter the correct password to give the scheduler access.

Wondering about the following:

Since backups have been scheduled for the wee hours of the morning the computer will have gone into either the hibernate or sleep state.  When Acronis wants to run the backup, does it wake the computer up from the hibernate or sleep state?  When I do so manually I need to enter my User password, and that is what I thought providing the password to Acronis would accomplish.

2nd concern is when I run a program, even in the admin account, Vista asks me to verify that I really want to run the program.  Assuming this is because User Account Controls are ON.  How does Acronis handle this?

OC

OC
Beginner
Comments: 14

Another question - does True Image 2009 need to be left running to automatically perform the backups, or does it start itself up based on the schedules?

bin
Frequent Poster
Comments: 513

It should be running Paul, the programs are in your startup, 3 of em : Timountermonitor,TrueImageMonitor, & schedhlp

Beginner
Comments: 10

I installed Acronis True Image Home 2009 (product version 12.0.0.9646) on my Vista PC. I gave myself full control over the program. I think I made a valid first disk image on an external hard drive but, during the point where the program was validating the disk image it had just created (?), the program froze and I had to shutdown the PC. On the external hard drive is now a .tib file that is almost 50 GB. I tried to validate it separately after creating it but I cannot seem to validate this first disk image - I use the password I created for the disk image rather than my login password for my Vista computer. Nor, can I create a second disk image. Similar problems arise each time I attempt to either validate my first disk image or create a new disk image:

When I try to validate my first disk image: I follow the user guide exactly. After going through a few screens (checking “do not schedule” and “run task now”) + typing in the password I created for this disk image (the user name box is already filled in with Me-PC\Me where me is my first name), I get the summary screen and, when I click “proceed”, the validation process does not begin. Instead, the tasks and event log screen is displayed and this screen states that I have 1 unscheduled task, the status is idle, the last run time is listed as 12:00:00 AM on the day I’m trying to do this and the owner column lists me (Me-PC\Me where “Me” is my first name). If, instead, I try to schedule the task to run “once only” on the scheduling screen, it states “Resulting schedule: Error: Incorrect Repetition Period) and I can’t proceed any further from that screen because I get an error message that states “login information is not valid” no matter what I try to enter into the user name and password fields - though I have not tried the PC password itself (the user name field is already filled in with Me-PC\Me where “Me” is my first name). I use the specific password I used to create this disk image.

When I try to create a second disk image, I also follow the user guide directions exactly. I select the C and D drive to backup, the target backup location is my external hard drive and I give a name to the backup disk image (the backup archive screen states that execution of this task will use the full backup method). I choose no further optional steps (i.e., no password) and click “summary”. At the summary screen, it states that there are 3 operations (2 involve creating the partition images of the C and D drives and one involving saving the partition structure for hard disk 1. “Run task now” is checked. When I click “proceed”, the validation process does not begin. Instead, the tasks and event log screen is again displayed and this screen states that I have 1 unscheduled task (named My Computer Backup 2), the status is listed as idle, the last run time is listed as 12:00:00 AM on the day I’m trying to do this and the owner column lists “Me-PC\Me” where “Me” is my first name). If, instead, on the scheduling screen, I try to schedule the task to run “once only” 10 minutes from that point in time, it again states “Resulting schedule: Error: Incorrect Repetition Period” and I can’t proceed any further from that screen because, even though the user name is again filled in with “Me-PC\Me” (where “Me” is my first name) and I have chosen no password, when I click on either “next” or “summary”, I get an error message that states “login information is not valid. Are you sure you want to continue?”. I try to enter other things into the user name field, but no matter what I try to enter into the user name field (but not my login password for my PC), I get the same error message about login being invalid.

This program is driving me crazy. Can anyone help me to figure out what I may be doing wrong?????

Beginner

Hi Bruce,

I know exactly how you feel. My problem with error message 1326 was that I initially created a new password for Acronis. This is not what the program wanted. I found out that you have to use the password you put in when you log on to Vista. You also have to make sure you have administrator status as a user. Everything worked well after that. If I remember correctly, it took me some time to find the spot where I could change the password. (I'm a beginner, too!) You might want to uninstall the program and start again from scratch.

I recently had an unrelated problem where Acronis said that it couldn't read certain sectors on my disk, and 5 or 6 scheduled back-ups in-a-row failed. This brought back all the nightmares of the above problem. But mysteriously, it started working again by itself. I'm not going to question it. It's working now, and I'll take it. I believe that Acronis is a good program, and you should keep trying to make it work.

Good luck.

Mark

Beginner

Mark - thanks for responding. After reading several forum comments and articles (after I posted my message), I tried validating again using my computer's login password. That apparently was the correct password to use rather than the password I'd set up for the disk image itself. Good grief! This is nowhere explained in the user manual. I used the one time only schedule, set up today and a time to begin the validation, entered my PC password and when I finally clicked on proceed, I was taken to the scheduled tasks tab of the events and log screen. There, it listed the task as to be performed at the time I'd scheduled it and, at that scheduled time, the program began to perform the validation operation. When the validation began, the task and events log screen immediately indicated a successful task on the calendar. It then took 30 minutes for the validation operation to be completed and I could see its % progress all the way. At 100% completion, no "results window" appeared as the user guide states it will. There was some info at the bottom of the screen but that info did not indicate that the disk image was found to be valid. Consequently, I still don't have any idea whether the first disk image is a valid one. On the log tab, all the log info appears to indicate is that the task was started successfully. But, it tells me nothing about whether the validation proved that the image was good. I do not have any of the Acronis program set to start at computer bootup (I disabled the program and the scheduler from starting at bootup in the startup tab in msconfig), but I presume (incorrectly?) all program features will work correctly when I start the program from my desktop. In any case, at 100% completion of the validation task, I did not see any indication on the events and log screen or in any "results window" that the disk image is valid. What the **** is wrong with this program?

Beginner
Comments: 1

I am posting here because I had a similar problem with ATI 2010 and I seem to have "fixed" mine. And i am no expert by any means.

Win7 64Bit (I use auto login, no password)
ATI 2009 backups worked fine.
ATI 2010 Upgrade latest build installed
When run to backup system, I got the login error and no backup.
Looked through the Forum and found one interesting suggestion.........uninstall and reinstall.
Now i did uninstall, and also setup an Admin User Account with a PW.
Installed ATI 2009 with 2010 upgrade within that account.
No problems with backups this time.

Notes:
Now i DID go back and make my normal account an Auto login again. At least I can go into the special admin account to run ATI. I have not tried to run ATI in that account yet. I will later.

I'm no expert, but this worked for me in what was becoming a very frustrating situation.

Regards
Steve

Beginner

Thanks Steve. Perhaps, I don't know the difference between Administrator accounts and user accounts. When I first set up my machine, I think the only account created was the Administrator account. I sign in to the computer as the administrator (I think?). I don't think I ever set up any limited user accounts. In the control panel, user accounts applet, only one account is listed: Computer which is the administrator and which is password protected. I use this password to bootup the computer. Consequently, I don't know why uninstalling and reinstalling the 2009 TI program would work for me? You say that you set up "an Admin User Account with a PW" and then installed ATI with that account. Is this "Admin User Account" any different than what I already have?

bin
Frequent Poster
Comments: 513

The first account you set up when installing windows will be an administrator account (have admin privileges) but will not be THE administrator account. I still use XP and I believe it is the same for Vista and Win7, someone else will point out any main differences I'm sure.

With XP the actual administrator account is not visible to use normally unless you boot windows in safe mode and it should only be used to try and put things right when something is wrong e.g. when windows can't start up properly.

Any program or process that runs as a scheduled task needs to login to be able to run, whether it is an Acronis program or any other. That is why you have to provide your login password so that it can do that. This is totally seperate from any password protection you apply in True Image. Again I don't know about any vista or win7 extra requirements for running sheduled tasks but the basics will be the same and this should be within the acronis documentation.

I suggest you do not disable any of the Acronis processes from starting at startup. They are required by TI to run succesfully especially when running tasks. They take up very few resources and take up hardly no time at all to start running.

Beginner

Thanks for the comment bin. I went back in to msconfig's startup tab and enabled 3 ATI functions (the scheduler helper, the True Image Monitor and the TImounter Monitor. I found no information in the Acronis user guide that explained any distinction between the password you create in ATI and your administrator password for your computer. That's what has so many people flummoxed. Nor did I find that my user guide has different instructions in how to create disk images or validate in terms of having Vista as opposed to XP. I guess I'm not understanding the significance of the distinction you are making here between the administrator password and the password you can create in ATI as part of the disk image creation process. So my questions are:

1. when (for what ATI processes) do you need the password you used to create the disk image?

2. For example, since I created a separate password in creating my first disk image, is that password used when you attempt to separately validate it?

3. when (for what ATI processes) do you need your administrator password (e.g., only if you schedule an ATI task for a future time as opposed to the "do not schedule" or "run task now" option in ATI)?

Forum Hero

Bruce,

For TI itself to be able to make a scheduled image - and it will be only to make the scheduled image, it needs to log on to your Windows system and run with certain Windows given privileges.

To do this it uses the log on user and password you use to log in to your system when theWindows GUI comes up. This is the user and password information that is requested by TI when you get to the scheduling part of the Wizard.

The password that you can add to make an archive secure is a totally different kettle of fish. This password is used to access an archive for restoration and validation.

So to answer number two, the password you used to secure the archive is needed to validate it.
For number 3 that is correct. However, I'm not sure if in Vista or W7 OS's that are more pernickerty concerning security issues, if they require a 'logged on' system to even make an unscheduled task, as auto logging in (as can be done in XP) is frowned upon in Vista and made even more difficult in W7.

Beginner

Thanks Bodgy (Colin?). Your explanation is much clearer now. I will try another unscheduled/run this task now validation using the ATI-created password and see what happens.

Beginner
Comments: 5

Hi Mark & Bruce,
Thanks for your recent postings on this subject. I have recently installed ATI Home 2010 and had the same problem with passwords. Problem solved when I created a password for my computer Administrator account and used it for rescheduling ATI. In my view this is a serious ommission in the instructions. I find the instructions to be detailed but unstructured. As an inexperienced user I would prefer to see a clear distinction between essential basic action and 'nice to haves' as I only want to do full disk/partion backups once a month and data backups once a day. For example, as the single user on my PC, is it ESSENTIAL to create an Acronis Secure Zone, and is it essential to install the Media Add-ons provided on the CD??

Beginner

Derek - thanks for responding. If I remember correctly, when I first turned on my new computer I was asked to give a name and password for an account. I did so and I believe that this was the administrator account. On my computer, in the user accounts applet in control panel, there is only one account listed and it is named "Computer". Underneath "Computer" it states "Administrator Password Protected". This is the name that comes up at bootup at which point I enter my password. The computer then boots up. Isn't this the "computer Administrator account" that you are referring to?

In any case, could you take me through the steps, step by step, by which you created your "computer Administrator account"? Thanks

Beginner
Comments: 5

Bruce - Yes, the name(s) that comes up on the startup screen at boot-up is the Computer Administrator, in my case I named it as 'Derek'. You can add other users and allow Administration rights e.g. to create/change passwords. Up to now I never bothered to set up password protection to the computer account as I am the sole user, but I've had to set it up now to use with ATI to allow settings and scheduling to be changed.
Regarding the steps to create Administrator account on XP you just go into Control Panel from the Start menu and then open User Accounts. As an Administrator you can create other accounts and give them Administrator privileges if wanted.
For an experiment I set up a new User account and password just for ATI so that I would'nt have to bother with password on my computer account but after playing around found that this only backs up that account, so have reverted back to running ATI from my original account.
I have only just installed ATI and becoming frustrated by the unnecessary complexity e.g. why have One-click Backup when it can be done from the Classic Backup? I think Acronis should produce instructions for basic & essential functions for users who don't want the bells and whistles.

Beginner

Thanks Derek

Beginner

I found another case where this error can occur. In Windows 7 I had increased UAC level to the highest (one level higher than default). When I entered my admin user credentials in ATI 2010 it rejected them as incorrect (I double checked that I entered them correctly) with error 1326. After lowering UAC to the default level ATI accepted my credentials normally.

Beginner

That's interesting Dimitris. User Account Control in Vista has always puzzled me. I never changed whatever default setting for UAC my computer is set up with. When UAC pops up, I always click OK to allow me to do something I want to do (e.g., install software). I presumed all along that User Account Control then gets out of the way to permit the install. I've never disabled UAC (e.g., to perform a software install) and then turned it back on - I've always left it on. Interestingly, your comment makes me wonder whether UAC interfered with a recent software install I did. I'm having trouble with a Roxio video capture/edit/burn product I installed. During the Roxio software installation, after I told UAC to allow the install to proceed, all seemed to go well - the driver for the video capture device was supposedly installed successfully and the software appeared to have installed successfully. Yet, when I open the program, my PC automatically shuts down and reboots after 10-30 seconds whether I do anything in the program or not. That doesn't happen except when I open this Roxio program. Then, when I look at the sound, video and game controllers under device panel (where the video capture device should be located), it is not there. Your comment makes me wonder if, somehow, UAC interfered with the proper installation of the device driver or the software itself? Any thoughts?

Beginner

UAC can interfere, mainly with older pre-Vista software. Bear in mind that default UAC in Vista is equal to the highest UAC setting in Windows 7. Regarding Roxio you could try uninstalling it and reinstalling with UAC temporarily disabled.

Beginner

I may have to try to do just what you say Dimitris. I can't understand, though, why (even if I didn't fully or properly install the video adapter device or the program files), the PC just shuts down and reboots soon after I open the program. You'd think that the program would not work at all.

Forum Star
Comments: 1342

Hello all,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

I'll do my best to fix the issue.

Bruce, as I understand your Vista OS just reboots when you start Acronis True Image 2009? If so, I may suggest you to completely remove the software by the means of Acronis Clean-Up Utility, download the latest build from your account and install it again.

After that, please check if the problem remains.

Please let me know if the issue is not resolved.

Thank you.

Beginner

Alas, Ilya, as my prior posting states, my computer reboots when I open a different program called Roxio Easy VHS to DVD, not Acronis. Wasn't that clear from the prior message? As to the Acronis TI problem I was experiencing, some prior user postings appear to have helped me to understand the password and procedure that is required by Acronis TI 2009 to make a disk image and validate it - even though the user manual appears to steer you in the wrong direction regarding passwords. Thanks for responding though. Acronis just needs to make the password issue clearer in the user manual (e.g., re what password is required to perform certain actions as opposed to others).

Beginner
Comments: 3

This old password problem persists.
Compulsory filling in Windows referentials? Why? Acronis was legally bought and Windows as well. Why does Acronis need my Windows information?

I have Windows 7 Professional 32 bits + Acronis True Home 2011

Error: Account and password do not match.
BUT I DON'T USE A PASSWORD (auto login) and I DONT WANT A PASSWORD!
I'm a single user and the administrator of the PC and all its programs.

Does Acronis seriously require me to add a Windows password to my account? I never had this trouble with version 2009/Windows XP.

I seriously consider removing the program definitively.

Yesterday I lost a recently revised e-mail account in its entirety (with lots of contacts and a hundred filter boxes with messages).

Since a constant e-mail backup requires a (non-existing here) password and due to failing directions in the user guide, a lot of important information seems to be lost forever.
But getting back lost information was the prime reason for me to buy Acronis....

Help, please. How can I avoid a similar loss in the future?

Beata

Forum Hero

True Image has to log on to Windows in order to access certain internal Windows operations. It also needs to be able to discern which user is currently logged on to ensure in a multi user system it is running the correct task.

It is no different if you ever find you need to access your Windows installation via the Administrator account to fix something, if you didn't (as most people don't) assign a password to the Administrator account you won't be able to access parts of XP to fix a problem - try logging on in the Windows XP repair option from the XP installation CD.

You can add a password to your XP account and then tell Windows to autologon, which will save you having to select a user and enter a password.

Forum Member
Comments: 31

CAN I SET THE BACKUP SCHEDULE TO NOT USING A PASSWORD?

I HAVE RETURNED TO 2010 BUILD 7160 AFTER SUFFERING MONTHS OF PROBLEMS WITH ALL 2011 BUILDS . I WAS ON 6196
PLUS THE DREADFUL DESIGN OF SETTING UP A BACK UP AND THE COMPEXITY OF SETTING UP A SCHEDULE
WHY THE SIMPLICITY OF THE 2010 WAS DUMPED I DO NO KNOW ". WHY REINVENT THE WHEEL IF IT AIN'T BROKE. !! " IT IS A PLEASURE TO SEE THE GREEN SQAURES ONCE AGAIN.
i HAVE REINSTALLED 2010 ON BOTH MY LAPTOP ( VISTA ) AND MY TOWER ( WIN 7 )
THE LAPTOP ACCECPTS THE AUTO SELECTED NAME BUT THE TOWER DAOS NOT AND I HAVE TO USE MY SIGNING ON PASSWORD. THE SCHEDULE IS THEN ACCEPTED.
THERE IS A BUT !! IF GO BACKIN TO EDIT I NOTE THE PASSWORD IS NOW TWO DIGITS LONGER . AS A RSULT I DO NOT HAVE A CLUE AS TO WHAT THE AMMENDED PASSWORD IS. !!.
CANCELING AND ADDING MY ORIGINAL PASSWORD IS ACCEPTED . I RECHEC KAND IT IS AGAIN IT IS TWO DIGITS LONGER ( DOTS)
THE SYSTEM ACCEPTS TWO PASWORDS !!
THIS I CAN COPE WITH QUITE EASILY AFTER ALL THE TRAUMA OF USING 2011 BUT i WOULD LIKE TO KNOW
HOW
CAN I SET THE BACKUP SCHEDULE AND NOT USE A PASSWORD ?
THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP.
BWEP
30-3-11

Forum Hero

Barrie,

As far as I'm aware, when making a task for the first time you have to enter a user and password, so that TIH 'knows' which users task is supposed to run, it also allows TIH to 'log on' and run a schedule if you as a user aren't logged on.

The extra two asterisks that appear on a password box is a Windows feature, this way if someone is trying to guess your password they have no idea as to how long it is and therefore makes it more difficult for them to work out how many permutations there could be.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'the system accepts two passwords'.

Forum Member
Comments: 31

Colin B wrote:

Barrie,

As far as I'm aware, when making a task for the first time you have to enter a user and password, so that TIH 'knows' which users task is supposed to run, it also allows TIH to 'log on' and run a schedule if you as a user aren't logged on.

The extra two asterisks that appear on a password box is a Windows feature, this way if someone is trying to guess your password they have no idea as to how long it is and therefore makes it more difficult for them to work out how many permutations there could be.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'the system accepts two passwords'.

Thank you for this Colin

Acronis on my laptop vista does not require this. I leave it blank and no problems
It is my tower Win7 that i need toadd my password
Thank you for the explanation re the additional two digits ( dots) no infofrom aAcronis on this !!
RE Two passwords this is what I meant.
It accepts my six digits and there after the 8 diigits somewhere Acronis has written a programme to recognise the change .
Regards
Barrie
Barrie