Skip to main content

Error creating backup with True Image 2010 on my new NAS

Thread solved
Beginner
Comments: 4

Since 2012 I have True Image 2010 running to create regular backups on my Synology DS112 NAS. Never had a problem with that. Recently I bought another NAS (a DS218+) because the DS112 was running out of disk space. My objective is to use the DS218+ for future backups. I want to be sure however that everything will work as expected before I stop creating regular backups on my old DS112. For some reason however every backup task fails on the DS218+. For your information: The Shared folder on the NAS that I want to use can be accessed via Windows Explorer (see Fig 1 of the attached pdf). I can read and write to this share. When I create a backup task in TI I can browse to, and select this shared folder as backup destination (see Fig 2), but when the backup task starts I get an error (see Fig 3). The strange thing is at some time when I started testing, TI was able to write a complete (disk) backup to the DS218+. Could it be related to the fact that I accidentelly deleted the archieve form the DS218+ with Internet Explorer instead of via TI ? My main question is: How to get everyting working. Any help is very much appreciated!

Attachment Size
TI2010_error.pdf 385.3 KB
0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 18033

I would suggest deleting your backup task and starting over again if this problem started after deleting files via Explorer.

ATI 2010 is now at least 10 years old and there is very little experience of using this version here in the forums as the design changed significantly in the versions that have come since.

As you have invested in buying a new NAS, perhaps you should consider also investing in the latest version of ATI too, where you would have much better levels of support available to you?

Beginner

I already deleted any task related to the new NAS. There's one active task (for regular backup to my old NAS), and that one runs without any problem.

The problem that I describe occurs for any backup or restore task, independent of being a manual one-time task, or a scheduled one.

I indeed consider to upgrade my ATI to version 2020, but I would like to feel confident upfront that this will solve the problem, and it's not related to something else.

Thanks

Legend

I don't have the same Synology DS218+ NAS as you are now using but I have a Synology DS215j NAS that I do regular scheduled backups to from all my computers using a mix of ATI 2018, 2019 & 2020 versions, all of which run on schedule with no issues.

Beginner

I did some research on the internet. I seriously consider to upgrade to ATI2020. What currently withholds me are the very negative stories that I see related to uninstalling ATI2010 on a Windows 7 (X64) computer. 

What is currently the best, error (head ache) free, method to uninstall ATI2010?

Legend

What is currently the best, error (head ache) free, method to uninstall ATI2010?

1. Ensure that you have a good backup of your Windows 7 system, even if this means making one using your Acronis Rescue Media.
  2. Uninstall ATI 2010 normally via the Windows Control Panel > Programs & Features option.
  3. Download the Acronis Cleanup Tool (link in my signature) and run this as Administrator, then restart the computer to complete the action.

The above should normally be sufficient to remove the software.

Note 1: the instructions for the Cleanup Tool include some steps involving changes to the Windows Registry - please be very careful when modifying any Registry keys that you only change exactly as advised else leave the registry alone unless a change is needed at another stage!

Note 2: See forum topic: [How to] uninstall a previous installation - for an even more thorough method if needed!

Beginner

Problem solved: When I created a new task, I cloned a task for my old NAS. The login credentials of my old NAS however differ from those of my new NAS. I assumed that when I was able to select a location on my new NAS (the NAS was mounted in Windows) everything would be O.K. It turned out however that I had to input the login credentials again under "Verification settings" at the top right of the window. Once I did this, also when I started from scratch without cloning, it all went fine.