HELP please. I can NOT get my cloned drive to boot
I have v11.0, build 8101 installed on my XP machine. What I want to do is create a clone of my C: drive as a snapshot bootable backup drive. I have had ZERO problems creating the clone, but I have had zero luck getting the cloned disk to boot. I've read thru many forum posts and none touches my exact issue I think so here's my mehtod and problem as clearly as I can:
- Install 'old' C: drive into motherboard SATA port 1, "new" C: drive into port 0.
- Boot windows XP
- Load acronis and select 'clone drive'. Select C: as source, F: (the drive letter assigned to the new drive) as the destination of the clone. (There are 2 DVD drives that consume D: and E:)
- Allow acronis to repartition etc. the 'new' drive. (I tried both auto and manual methods with same results)
- Select all partitions (2) on the C: drive for cloning.
- Review all selections and kick off the clone.
- At the end of cloning, a message appears regarding removing the old disk etc. It is at this point I become a little confused, but here is what I've done (several times):
- hit key to power down machine.
- Disconnect power and signal cables from the 'old' C: drive, leaving the new drive connected to port 0.
- Power the system on. After BIOS runs, computer dies with "Error loading OS" message.
- I then go into BIOS trying to find a problem, but I always end up with this same error (or an error saying no valid boot device.) I make sure that the 'new' drive is found and is the only SATA drive in the system. It shows up as third or fourth master in bios with the DVDs taking precedence. I make sure the 'new' drive is set as the bootable device.
I must be doing something wrong, but what?
If I put the old drive back in, the system boots fine. On the way up, a message from acronis comes up saying 'DOne' IIRC. I'm wondering what this is doing. At first I thought it was transferring the MBR or something, but I noticed a message at the very end of cloning saying MBR transferred.
THanks for any help.