Skip to main content

Home 2009 can't really do incremental/differential partition backups, can it?

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 54

I just downloaded the trial version of True Image Home 2009 and am putting it through its paces, backing up to an external drive.

Going through the backup wizard, I selected "My Computer" for a partition backup, checked my "C" drive, etc., and when I got to "Backup Method" I was surprised to see "Incremental and "Differential" as selections. I'm thinking that this is a pretty clever backup program if it can pull that off.

I did a full backup this way and then did an incremental and the backup took the same time and produced the same size TIB file.

So, no differential or incremental partition backups, I guess?

Still, not too shabby overall, once I found the "IRPStackSize" registry patch.

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Star
Comments: 2110

Robert:

The program can do differential or incremental partition image backups. There are a couple of possible explanations for your results. First, if TI detects any errors on the partition it will revert to doing what's called a Sector-by-Sector image, where all sectors in the partition are included in the image. Normally, TI only includes used sectors in the image, and it does not include pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys or any other file(s) that you might manually exclude. So in general the resultant .tib file can be 50-70% of the used space on the partition. How large was your .tib file in comparison to the total partition size? If the two are the same size then it's an indication that TI found some problem with the file system. Running chkdsk /r should resolve that.

When doing a differential or incremental image, TI includes any changed sectors in the image. That would include sectors that got moved by a defragmenter, so if you defrag the disk between the full image and any incremental/differential image, the size of the incremental/differential image may be as large as the full image.

Frequent Poster
Comments: 570

In case you didn't, you have to base the incremental or differential on a previous backup. If you don't select one or change the filename then it won't find the base and will automatically do a full.

Forum Member
Comments: 54

Seekforever wrote:

In case you didn't, you have to base the incremental or differential on a previous backup. If you don't select one or change the filename then it won't find the base and will automatically do a full.

That was the trick I was missing.

The original partition backup was 58GB for a298GB partition, and took about 45 minutes. An incremental backup done just now took about 15 minutes but was only 360MB.

I'm convinced.