Skip to main content

How do I stop these constant "Purchase 2015 Upgrade" prompts?

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 18

I own 4 licenses of Acronis True Image Home 2014 Premium (Build 6688). Starting yesterday (Sept 17, 2014) the systems on which these licenses are installed began prompting (multiple times throughout the day) via True Image Monitor, with a popup message (directly above the windows system tray) that when clicked displayed a 2015 upgrade purchase form. I've tried everything I can think of to make this annoying badgering stop - but thus far without any success.

Can anyone here please tell me how to get this annoyance to cease - I've used Acronis products for a long time now and have never been hounded like this before - must I uninstall the 2014 product from these 4 afflicted systems in order to make this nonsense stop?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may have to offer,
John

Solution is available here.

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 8747

John, I thought I had answered another thread with this question, however, switch off notifications for updates in 2014 should do the trick.

Forum Member
Comments: 44

Switching off the update notifications does not help, they still appear very regularly (several times a day) on all machines I am running TI 2014 on. You will find more complaints about this in both the TI 2015 and the TI 2014 forums. Hopefully there is a solution. Acronis messed up big time with TI 2015 (bugs, removed features, no proper advance announcements about the removed features and now this notification bug in TI 2014). It is nothing personal Colin, I know you are not working for Acronis (are you?).

Pim

Forum Member
Comments: 24

I can confirm, I also switched off notifications and they are still appearing.

Forum Member
Comments: 55

I've read somewhere blocking "liveupdate.acronis.com" should help, e.g. in "hosts" file:

127.0.0.1 liveupdate.acronis.com

Forum Member

ken sendal wrote:

I've read somewhere blocking "liveupdate.acronis.com" should help, e.g. in "hosts" file:

Thanks Ken. Ill give this a go.

Forum Hero

ken sendal wrote:

That may well do it, I'd forgotten about that.

Forum Member

ken sendal wrote:

Can anyone please explain how to do that? I have no clue, even though I am reasonably tech-savvy.

And of course: Acronis should fix this, we should not have to mess around ourselves in hosts files... What about ordinary users?

Forum Member

start notepad "as admin" - file open - navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc - change selection "textfiles" to "all files" - open "hosts" - paste
as a single line at the end of file - save/overwrite - done
you might have to disable your av/firewall to be able to overwrite

Forum Member

Thanks Ken for the prompt reply and detailed instructions! I assume it will work (too short too tell since I made the change).

Thanks again!

Pim

Forum Member

welcome!

just restart your pc to check if it is working...

Forum Member

I just thought I would give an update, the hosts edit hasn't worked. Tested on two computers however it still comes up with annoying popup. Thanks for the help anyway Ken. :)

Forum Member

I am having mixed results. I have a Vista Ultimate 32-bit machine and a Vista Ultimate 64-bit machine. Before changing the hosts file I only get a tray icon on my 32-bit machine to indicate there is an update, no text balloon. It seems that Acronis did some sloppy programming however, because it was a hard job to link the icon to the process TrueImageMonitor.exe, which (a.o.) indicates there is an update. The tray icon has no description and no right-click or left-click options, unlike all other tray icons. Therefore I had to find out it was related to True Image by shutting down processes in Task Manager process by process and when the icon disappeared after closing TrueImageMonitor.exe I knew it was related to that process. The icon always remains in the tray, it does not disappear after a certain period.

On my 64-bit machine on the other hand, the same icon is shown with a text balloon, indicating there is an update available. However, both disappear after a short while.

Changing the hosts file only eliminates the update notification and tray icon on my 64-bit machine, not the tray icon on my 32-bit machine.

Edit: attachment with icon added

Attachment Size
203192-115261.png 1018 bytes
Beginner

Thanks for the quick response Colin (and others) -

As the other posters have already reported, switching off notifications fails to affect the prompts (FWIW, I'd already tried that measure prior to posting). I read with great interest the suggestion about utilizing the HOSTS file (a strong "Thank You" BTW, to that poster for this insight/revelation of the offending Acronis IP/URL!) to block the offending Acronis source IP/URL. I find it a bit sad having to resort to this measure in order to address the problem - but that's what I'll gladly do if need be.

Since these systems all reside on the same local subnet I may first try setting up a firewall block rule for the IP/URL to see if that addresses the issue. I presume invoking such blocking will likely also inhibit minor build version update notifications (such as the recent 6688 build) - but I can live with that - I'll just have to make a point of checking the website for 2014 product updates from time to time.

Thanks to all for the responses!

Kind regards,
John

Tex
Beginner
Comments: 20

Fairly long-time TI customer here (since 2006). I had a long Chat with Acronis this morning that was totally unfruitful. The only thing they could point me to was this KB Article that was apparently created today.
https://kb.acronis.com/content/48518

I told the agent that several people have tried that method (in the KB article) and reported that it didn't stop the nagging-upgrade-messaging. I also told him that it was unacceptable (to me) to have to turn off all "good" Acronis messaging just because someone feels we need to see that 2015 upgrade pop-up every day.

The agent also said that the pop-ups would continue until Acronis formally releases version 2015. In essence as customers, we are expected to just put up with it until Acronis decides they want to stop it. That is very bad form for Acronis and is already affecting the way that I view them for future Backup software business (at home and on my corporate machines). A single email or a single pop-up would have been fine from Acronis about "TI 2015". Beyond that, they are spamming the customer with no logical method to be able to stop it.

One thing is for sure, I'm now completely turned off from even considering TI 2015, so their marketing nag-ware has backfired in my case.

Beginner
Comments: 1

I have spent 4 days on the issue of the 2015 pop up from Acronis

I can tell you the product is gone from my 10 office computers and the 4 computers at home

the new solution for me will be EaseUS Todo Backup
the free version has been tested on the home machines
you can opt out of all offers with the FREE version

I tested the back up ability by doing a complete restore with EaseUS

http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Todo-Backup-Free/3000-2242_4-10964460.h…

So if you feel you own your computer then tell Acronis you own it
and move on as a company Acronis is not responsive yes they listen but nothing happens

Beginner
Comments: 5

I'm also done with Acronis, no more upgrades for me. Acronis 2015 is awful. I like to have control over the applications on my PCs. Not being able to completely disable the update prompt is one such example, its insulting and infuriating.

I'll make sure I recommend Paragon or EaseUS from now on to my clients. Since Acronis 2010 the quality has went down hill.

Forum Hero

I suspect that True Image monitor needs to be disabled in Windows Startup rather than just changing its notification status in the system tray.

Press the Windows button +'r' (if you don't have the Run option enabled in your Windows, then type in msconfig click OK.

Click on the startup tab and untick the monitor entry.

Forum Member

Tex wrote:

Fairly long-time TI customer here (since 2006). I had a long Chat with Acronis this morning that was totally unfruitful. The only thing they could point me to was this KB Article that was apparently created today.
https://kb.acronis.com/content/48518

I told the agent that several people have tried that method (in the KB article) and reported that it didn't stop the nagging-upgrade-messaging. I also told him that it was unacceptable (to me) to have to turn off all "good" Acronis messaging just because someone feels we need to see that 2015 upgrade pop-up every day.

The agent also said that the pop-ups would continue until Acronis formally releases version 2015. In essence as customers, we are expected to just put up with it until Acronis decides they want to stop it. That is very bad form for Acronis and is already affecting the way that I view them for future Backup software business (at home and on my corporate machines). A single email or a single pop-up would have been fine from Acronis about "TI 2015". Beyond that, they are spamming the customer with no logical method to be able to stop it.

One thing is for sure, I'm now completely turned off from even considering TI 2015, so their marketing nag-ware has backfired in my case.

The KB you refer to literally states that notifications is a Windows feature, which is an outright lie! Acronis decides/programs when notifications are given, that is not a Windows feature. By saying that one has to switch off the notifications they are actually saying that one has to permanently close his/her mailbox for all messages, because the sender has decided to send spam next to sending useful messages.

Also, in one of the posts above I have said that using the hosts file, I was able to at least stop the notification messages on my 64-bit machine. That was not true: the next day the messages appeared again. The hosts solution unfortunately does not work at all.

Forum Member

Pim Joosten wrote:
Also, in one of the posts above I have said that using the hosts file, I was able to at least stop the notification messages on my 64-bit machine. That was not true: the next day the messages appeared again. The hosts solution unfortunately does not work at all.

Sorry for wrong information (I've read), now I revealed it myself with Wireshark:
Server to block is "download.acronis.com"
The line to be pasted into hosts file is

127.0.0.1 download.acronis.com

But while this line is present it might also prevent you from being able to download other stuff from Acronis

Regular Poster
Comments: 196

Acronis definitely needs to fix this problem. Disabling notifications isn't a fix.

Forum Member

ken sendal wrote:

Sorry for wrong information (I've read), now I revealed it myself with Wireshark:
Server to block is "download.acronis.com"
The line to be pasted into hosts file is

But while this line is present it might also prevent you from being able to download other stuff from Acronis

Thanks Ken! It is much appreciated!

Beginner
Comments: 15

I added a Firewall rule to block "C:\Program Files (x86)\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImagemonitor.exe" and have not seen the message again after many re-boots. (I use Bullguard but the same should work with any firewall you are using)

Beginner
Comments: 11

I'm going to add more fat to the fire with what I found out...

The popup wants some money to upgrade to 2015.

Their website claims a FREE upgrade.

WTF Acronis?! Your teams have a serious disconnect going on there that is bordering on FRAUD.

Clean it up, NOW.

Forum Member

The website does not state TI 2015 is free. It says that if you purchase TI 2014 now you'll get TI 2015 free. This is only for new buyers and has always been standard practice for Acronis in the month before a new version is released. There is no need to get this upset.

Regular Poster
Comments: 417

Hello everyone,

thank you for your posts.
The problem has been reported to the program managers.
Thank you.

Kind regards,

Beginner
Comments: 2

Billybigun wrote:
I added a Firewall rule to block "C:\Program Files (x86)\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImagemonitor.exe" and have not seen the message again after many re-boots. (I use Bullguard but the same should work with any firewall you are using)

Yep that worked for me, thanks for that :-)

Forum Member
Comments: 37

Just to add my two cents as a long time Acronis user - Acronis needs to fix this!

JW

Beginner

Thank you Sergey,

I do hope they decide to "rethink" this kind of marketing strategy ... Obviously I'm not the only one being "put off" by it.

BTW: The router/firewall method of blocking the aforementioned Acronis/DL-URL works quite well for stopping the offending "upgrade notices" without interfering with other "normal / expected" TIM task-tray based notifications.

Kind regards,
John

Beginner
Comments: 11

It appears that they stopped the feature now. I have not gotten a popup since Sunday AM.

Someone's listening over there.

Tex
Beginner

Nighthawke wrote:

It appears that they stopped the feature now. I have not gotten a popup since Sunday AM.

Someone's listening over there.

I got fresh popups on all of my machines today and every day before that ever since Acronis unleashed them on us. According to what I was told (last Friday) in online chat with Acronis Support, the pop-up would stop today when the TI 2015 product was released. That didn't happen today, but there is always tomorrow...

Forum Member

Ya, I just got the popup again (Monday 2:20p PDT)

Forum Member

Me too. Wednesday 24th, 8.00 CET

Tex
Beginner

Well...again today the upgrade nag-ware popups continued on all of my machines. Acronis did not do what they said would happen...stop the daily (and every time you reboot) popups once TI 2015 was released. I can see why some people might think that the popups were resolved by Acronis. In my testing, the popup is not an immediate thing right after Windows comes ready. It takes several minutes for TrueImageMonitor to launch that particular element and it could go unnoticed since (like many popups) it fades off the desktop shortly after having presented itself.

So, I decided to go into my Firewall to deal with it. I put an inbound and outbound network block on C:\Program Files (x86)\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImageMonitor.exe. To me, that is a better way to deal with this thing than disabling TrueImageMonitor.exe in MSConfig (which shuts off other useful things the application can provide).

Since I don't see any benefit to TI2015, I don't care if the "messaging" (either direction) from Acronis is blocked. If they want to pester people every day about stuff, at least now I won't have to see it done on my PC every time it is booted into Windows. I have decided to use TI 2014 until I find a compelling reason to change and when that moment comes, Acronis will be on the bottom of my list of companies to consider. Ridiculous marketing pop-ups coupled with concerns about the direction they have taken the software with TI2015, and it is a recipe for losing my business.

Thank-you to the people (above) in this thread for the suggested solution of blocking the pop-ups from within the Firewall. You are the "real support" for Acronis. Acronis Support is tone-deaf to customer requests for help or any actual solutions when things like this surface. That too weighs into my feelings about them as a company for my future business.

Forum Member

uninstall the program. will make you stop getting those popups.....

Forum Member

I just put the above firewall rules in place (Windows Firewall) and I'm still getting the pop-up...

Forum Member

jwitkin wrote:

I just put the above firewall rules in place (Windows Firewall) and I'm still getting the pop-up...

start notepad "as admin" - file open - navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc - change selection "textfiles" to "all files" - open "hosts" - paste
as a single line at the end of file - save/overwrite - done
you might have to disable your av/firewall to be able to overwrite

But while this line is present in "hosts" it might also prevent you from being able to download other stuff from Acronis

Tex
Beginner

jwitkin wrote:

I'm using ESET Smart Security and all I had to do was go into the "rules" section, create a new rule to block inbound/outbound connections and then make sure I selected the area (browse to file) where I could select the TrueImageMonitor.exe file. I don't know if Acronis has stopped sending the popup today or not. I do know that the firewall block worked (for me) because the popup was active yesterday and could be re-triggered every time I booted the PC into Windows. Ever since I installed that block, no more popups and everything else with TI2014 works just fine (even the useful things about TrueImageMonitor).

:)

Forum Member
Comments: 25

I want to thank @ken sendal for the loopback solution in the host file. I hope it works because I do not want to mess with my firewall settings.

PS. And just a quick note for Acronis people (if they ever read this) -- you should not foist something on your paying customers and annoy them! If I knew how badly your support works and that I would get popups with commercials on my desktop after installing your software I would've never bought it. Just a note...

Beginner
Comments: 8

Same with me! I enjoyed the benefits of this program for a long time, but this nag-screen is driving me insane! I shall STOP getting information about my program, just because I don't want to be spammed at every new start of my computer? That's hilarious.

I won't buy ANY software from this company again, if they won't make an upDATE for MY version, where I can decide WHICH information I want to see, where I can switch off the nag-screen for upGRADEs!

I hope, that the person who is responsible for this cr*p, is followed by a sales promoter in every shop he enters, nagging him to buy exactly the same things he bought every other day in that shop, just "the new version"!

Beginner

Technogod wrote:
Acronis definitely needs to fix this problem. Disabling notifications isn't a fix.

That is absolutely true! Nothing to add...

Beginner

What if we started a campaign? Every time we see this message we write a post about it in this forum? I'm wondering, how Acronis would like that?

No, just kidding! I won't step down to that level ...

Forum Member
Comments: 25

Michael Spohn wrote:

What if we started a campaign? Every time we see this message we write a post about it in this forum? I'm wondering, how Acronis would like that?

No, just kidding! I won't step down to that level ...

What if we started a campaign? Every time we see this message we write a post about it in this forum?

Oh no, don't do that. You'll spam us instead... I'm curious if Acronis has an email or some way to report bugs? They must support their products. If so, we can write there for sure. In my case this nag screen actually created an issue that was not there before. Take a look.

PS. Oh boy, this is the dumbest forum I've ever posted in. It took me 10 tries to post this reply with the edited quote above. (And it still doesn't show it right.) Man, I hope the same person didn't code their backup software that I'm using :)

Beginner

D. B. wrote:
PS. Oh boy, this is the dumbest forum I've ever posted in. It took me 10
tries to post this reply with the edited quote above. (And it still doesn't
show it right.) Man, I hope the same person didn't code their backup software that I'm using :)

That's right!

Beginner
Comments: 4

So that's it?

Acronis doesn't respond at all after a week of pained cries for help?

Really?

That is such a shame... I had thought Acronis to be a great software company.

Well, live and learn.

I'll have to remember to let the reviewers PC Mag, CNET, Lifehacker, etc, know about this if much more time goes by.

C'mon Acronis! This must be a trivial thing for you to fix...

Geez Loise.

Beginner

Gary Starkweather wrote:

So that's it?

Acronis doesn't respond at all after a week of pained cries for help?

Let them know directly, that you are complaining about this annoying misbeaviour.

Use the support chat or at least write them an e-mail. Everyone should do it at least once! ;-)

Forum Member

They must be hiding...
Several threads are taken over with AX64 etc.. and no comments from Acronis..
Guess that shows how much they care?

N2
Forum Member

Sergey Britvin wrote:

Hello everyone,

thank you for your posts.
The problem has been reported to the program managers.
Thank you.

Kind regards,

Thanks Sergey!

FR
Beginner
Comments: 7

Got all my true image issues sorted out, uninstalled and deleted 2015 version.

Beginner
Comments: 4

As another long time user of ATI, paying year after year to upgrade to newer versions for multiple PC's of mine, this is extremely annoying. This is actually my first post on the Acronis forums, I have never needed to post here before as I have been quite happy with the product until now. But this irritating "feature" has prompted me to come here to let Acronis know that unless this issue gets fixed and they improve their treatment of their customers I will not be a paying customer for much longer, the 2014 upgrade would have been my last.

Acronis, if you want to punt software upgrades to existing paying customers, send an email or two, don't turn their already paid for software into nagware!

Beginner
Comments: 2

Bump. What's the deal with the nagware. I suggest that everyone who comes here emails the Acronis board of directors every time they get the Acronis popup. That will get someone's attention.