Skip to main content

Mount the Partitions in the Read-Write Mode Discontinued in ATI2015

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 0

Hi,

Recently I have been bought a new Acronis TrueImage 2015 and never found a way how to delete or change a file resides inside the .tib backup. Finally (just right now) find an info - it's simply discontinued in 2015: https://kb.acronis.com/ati2015/discontinued

I'm just wondering why is that? Especially because this option is very important! If I have got some sensitive (and pretty expensive) data on my disk, I cannot simply give that to the any cloud by sync, no matter of uncrackable encryption algorithm used. Just want to keep .tib files easy updated in-house. But, after discontinuation of the read-write mode of the mounted .tibs, I'm forced to restore image with Universal Restore to a new disk, to change file structure as needed and do a backup again. Incremental backup doesn't do everything what is needed.

Is there a way this procedure to be automatized by making and executing some script, which takes as an argument a list of full path filenames with action which backup have to take (e.g. Create, Delete, Replace, Move)?

Why such an essential feature is discontinued?

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 9318

I believe that this feature was discontinued due to metadata handling issues. Given that I think it unlikely that a workaround is possible.

Beginner
Comments: 8

So we shouldn't trust earlier versions of Acronis in using that feature because it can cause corruption?

Beginner
Comments: 2

After upgrading several of my machines to 2015 (and using TI for years) I was very disappointed to learn about the removal of the Write support for mounted drives, I used this heavily, especially when I needed to access the other user profiles on the machine to restore files when needed, I do not like having to use/rely on the GUI for file restore, preferred to write-mount and do it myself. I strongly believe this feature should be re-instated even if it requires some R&D time to make it work safely. I doubt I will be upgrading TI again if the feature remains absent. :(

Beginner
Comments: 1

I found this a big disappointment. Did 2014 support this? I had to use my old version to access a backup I made from a client's failing computer. I was embarrassed when I couldn't access his data after migrating Acronis License to new machine. I moved all his data with an older version, guess I won't be purchasing ATI for clients anymore.

Beginner
Comments: 5

I used this feature heavily when copying data out of tibs for clients and if I had realised it had been removed I would not have upgraded. I will certainly not be upgrading again in future, and have found Paragon's Hard Disk Manager Suite to be a much more satisfactory solution now that Acronis has lost so much important functionality.

Beginner
Comments: 12

I felt somewhat similarly until realizing there's a simple workaround.

Just mount the .tib as usual.  Browse the newly created drive letter for the Users folder, dbl click.  Then right-click whatever profile you want and pick COPY, browse to a destination folder and right-click PASTE.

Might not be pretty, but at least you can pull the profile out and Take Ownership if you have to.  It's not like the profiles are completely inaccessible or anything.  For me at least, that's enough...create backup, pull stuff out of backup if/when needed.

Beginner
Comments: 2

Hi Knyte, I tested your workaround just now and I can confirm that this does indeed work as expected, I just assumed that the copy would fail as you cannot even open the folder due to permissions, I guess its a Windows funny! sticking with Acronis TI for now, thanks for sharing that tip. Justin

Beginner
Comments: 5

Yes, that does work, but when you have a huge user profile and you just want one file out of it it's a very long process!

That's what I have been doing to get around it, and I guess it's what i'll keep doing.