Skip to main content

TI 2009 will not create valid backups

Thread needs solution
bin
Frequent Poster
Comments: 513

Hi, I wondered if anyone else has had similar problems:

I've been using TI 11 since its release without any problems at all. I almost always backup/restore using an acronis boot CD and do full backups of my partitions (system, data, music, bla bla) and I use winzip pro to take snapshots of certain software settings and configs so its very easy for me to restore a system and it works very well.

Using TI 2009 not one single backup has been worth doing since every tib file will not even verify never mind restore. My backup regime has not altered and I've been running TI 11 and 2009 in parallel from boot CD's - the 2009 never works!

I have submitted a support request - just wondered if anyone might know what is going on. My system is quite old, Athlon 2000, 1GB mem, XP SP3. Everything else works perfect and still fairly quick.

hmmmmmm

Mark

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Star
Comments: 3047

Well, some hardware that was supported in prior versions isn't supported in the current version -- that's been reported on the forums before lthough not often. In that case, you might be out of luck unless you're willing to get an iso from Acronis to burn a new bootCD with diff hardware support. Acronis has generally been good about supplying one or more iso files until you get one that works. I went this route on ATI 10 and decided not to put up with it on ATI 11 (which was so buggy I decided no to use it on most of my machines).  The trial and error iso testing is a bit of a pita so you have to ask two questions: do you feel lucky and did you pruchase less than 30 days ago and are still within the genrally recognized refund period?

bin
Frequent Poster

Thanks Scott, it is possibly hardware but I doubt it unless 2009 is using something specific to motherboards or 8086 chips since 2007! Apart from those everything in my PC is new including the RAM chips.

I tried validating tib files created with TI 11 using 2009 and they verified no problem but until I hear from Acronis I shall stick to using 11.

As for the 30 day period I was away a few weeks and didn't get to try or do any testing with TI2009 until after, so I'm out of luck!

Cheers

Frequent Poster
Comments: 570

The boot CD is Linux and it needs to have the right drivers for all the necessary hardware so it isn't impossible that something in the new implementation isn't ideal.

You can try the suggestion listed in II of this link:

http://forum.acronis.com/forum/2995

If you are archiving to an external USB drive, try writing the archive to an internal. If you only have one partition on your internal drive, TI will make an image to it if there is sufficient space. It will warn you first. If this works then it points to the USB/external drive support as a likely cause.

bin
Frequent Poster

I have no problems running Linux, I've tried various flavours recently. They all worked fine but I didn't like any of them so they are no more. I have several partitions on the one drive, the system(C) and data(D) being the main ones. I keep no user data on C whatsover and haven't for years, so docs & settings are on D as are emails and anything else. Photos and music exist on their own partitions.

I use one partition to create my full backups in using the boot cd and afterwards I manually copy the backups to DVD or external USB drive. I have tried creating backups direct to CD, USB external, and USB flash - TI 11 always successfully works however I do it, 2009 never has yet in any circumstances. I can't test any more than I have - I've been a programmer for 30 years so I know how to!

Frequent Poster

Have you tried slowing down the HDD writing speed in the Backup Options of the wizard?

Beginner
Comments: 1

Just concurring with the above dissatisfied forum contributors. I cannot get TI Home 2009 (very latest build, from June 30, 2009) to function properly at all. It seems very buggy, unfinished. It made the initial back-up that it offers to make when you first install TI, but then after that, no back-up efforts would get off the ground. Every back-up operation I've tried has wound up dead in the water. No matter where I indicate that I want to plant the back-up --  and I tried DVDs, the so-called Security zone, and an external USB HDD -- nothing would go. No result whatsoever. It was as if I had only a screen shot of TI, rather than a working program. Then somewhere in Acronis' KB or user forum, I stumbled upon the 'faulty scheduler' business, so I downloaded from Acronis the batch file that ostensibly fixes the sheduler, and ran that, and then tried doing a full up again. At this point TI seemed to be functioning alright. The scheduler seemed to be taking hold; the DVD drive engaged at the scheduled time; but smack in the middle of writing to the 3rd DVD (how many DVDs was it going to take, I wonder), it caused my Vista x64 VAIO laptop to crash for the first time ever. The first 2 DVDs seemed to have gone through the process successfully, so after popping in DVD #3 as indicated, I stepped away from the machine for a few minutes, and when I returned I found the black-and-white 'problem re-boot' Windows screen asking whether I want to start up again in Safe or Normal mode. I chose Normal, the machine re-booted, and everything else seems okay. But now I have an aborted back-up and 3 uselessly burned DVDs, or so I assume, for TI provides no way of finding out, after an aborted backup, how much farther that back-up had to go, and no way of knowing whether I can use the first 2 DVDs, and no way of taking up where it left off, etc. etc. I am not a happy customer.

Forum Star

It's not just that the bootcd use linux,. It jsut means that the bootcd isn't going to use any of the windows drivers around and it's a matter of what linux hardware drivers are included.

Sparkymachine wrote:

I have no problems running Linux, I've tried various flavours recently. They all worked fine but I didn't like any of them so they are no more. . .

bin
Frequent Poster

Scott Hieber wrote:
It's not just that the bootcd use linux,. It jsut means that the bootcd isn't going to use any of the windows drivers around and it's a matter of what linux hardware drivers are included.

Yes I quite understand, but the standard Ubunto, Suse, Mint, or anything else had no problems accessing any devices and there is nothing non standard installed on my machine. TI 2009 can access any device and will read, validate, and restore any archive I have previously created using TI 11 from any location - just not the ones 'it' has created! When 2009 creates an archive it does not complain, it takes slightly longer than TI 11 but not that much and the tib files look fine, the expected size and everything.

I am going to install 2009 again and see if I can actually explore and or mount any archives - I've not tried that yet, it may throw more light on the subject who knows!

I tried slowing the write speed (two different values) without any success.

Thanks

bin
Frequent Poster

Just to clarify:

For me TI 2009 installs perfectly, creates a boot cd perfectly, boots from cd perfectly, runs from HD perfectly. It can see every device, write to every device, and read from every device. It can validate any TI11 tib file I have anywhere and it can restore from them. What it will not do is validate or read the tib's that it created itself, no matter where I create them.

Frequent Poster

Does the Windows version behave the same way? Does the validate fail while running in Windows as well as the rescue CD?

Since it can validate archives written with TI11, it somewhat rules out the usual suspects of bad RAM, flakey USB interfaces, other disk problems, etc. Since the archives have been created with the rescue CD it removes the snapapi.dll and other software conflicts from the equation since it is only used in Windows and the HD being imaged is static as well. It seems to point to the archive not being written properly such that the contents and their checksums don't agree - but  why? I don't believe it is an actual bug in the TI program itself because this type of error would be much more prevalent. TI problems usually revolve around the Linux, snapapi.dll and the scheduler not the actual imaging process.

bin
Frequent Poster

Yes, its the same using windows or cd, image or selective data, whatever.

I couldn't agree more with your comments, thats why its very odd. I've even downloaded it three times and reinstalled from scratch on a minimal XP SP3 system (using a TI 11 backup lol). I'll plod on!

Frequent Poster

I always say that as long as you have one more thing to try you aren't totally beat.

The one more thing might be to run memtest86+ overnight to see if there is a RAM problem. Since the problem happens in both Windows and Linux and works with TI11 it is a stretch but not much more than the guy who actually had a bad CPU causing his difficulty. If the machine has more than one stick, you could try running with only 1, then the other, if it will run on one. TI2009 might just be hitting a bad location that TI11 doesn't but I realize I'm way out on a limb with this.

Another typical cause is something left behind by a previous version screwing things up but running from the TI CD eliminates that possibilty.

Does the Windows system event viewer show any errors?

Beginner
Comments: 5

I'm having what seems to be a similar problem with the latest build of TI Home 2009, in that I can create an image back up, but not validate it.  When I look at a few specific files in the image, they're goo.  I could validate with the previous version of TI Home 2009.  The image is of a RAID 0 hard disk array to an external drive on a machine running XP SP3.

It troubles me that I can't validate the image.

Help!

Harvey

Frequent Poster

Harvey Morgan wrote:

I'm having what seems to be a similar problem with the latest build of TI Home 2009, in that I can create an image back up, but not validate it.  When I look at a few specific files in the image, they're goo.  I could validate with the previous version of TI Home 2009.  The image is of a RAID 0 hard disk array to an external drive on a machine running XP SP3.

It troubles me that I can't validate the image.

Help!

Harvey

Now, is this a clue or a red-herring regarding regarding SparkyMachine's problem? However, you did get TI2009 to work (he had to go back to TI11) but with an earlier build.

I gather you have the 9796 build (I think that's the latest English build).

Does the validation fail with either the CD and Windows versions?

If the current build CD fails to validate, can you boot up the rescue CD from the TI2009 build that used to work and validate an old archive that passed validation previously?

bin
Frequent Poster

Seekforever wrote:

I always say that as long as you have one more thing to try you aren't totally beat.

The one more thing might be to run memtest86+ overnight to see if there is a RAM problem. Since the problem happens in both Windows and Linux and works with TI11 it is a stretch but not much more than the guy who actually had a bad CPU causing his difficulty. If the machine has more than one stick, you could try running with only 1, then the other, if it will run on one. TI2009 might just be hitting a bad location that TI11 doesn't but I realize I'm way out on a limb with this.

Another typical cause is something left behind by a previous version screwing things up but running from the TI CD eliminates that possibilty.

Does the Windows system event viewer show any errors?

Well the memory/cpu appear to be fine and the event log shows nothing untoward.

I did another clean install of 2009 and the add on this time and created a new cd. First I created a full backup of (D)ata and then a selective data backup of a photo folder, tried to validate them straight after - would not validate but I can mount the image and explore both and they seem fine. Then I used the newly created cd and did the same from that. Validation from the cd worked on both backups so I rebooted and run a validation on the same backups in windows and both validations failed.

I have tried as many combinations as I can think of and it seems I might be able to use 2009 from cd. However that isn't good enough so I shall stick with TI 11 for the moment, I am fed up with 2009 failing and can't trust it.

bin
Frequent Poster

You see Joe????

I patiently waited for a response and got one and although the issue is not solved as yet I ain't going to cry on about it. These things happen.

bin
Frequent Poster

The lastest build offered for me is also 9770 on the Acronis web site (which I have been using). I assumed that this was the lastest english UK build but I see from a different post that this is not the case. Can someone send me the lastest build or correct the build I am able to download?

Forum Star

Folks have been reproting probs with the latest ATI 12/2009 build, so you might want' to stick with what yo have unless it's giving you specific probs.

bin
Frequent Poster

Scott Hieber wrote:

Folks have been reproting probs with the latest ATI 12/2009 build, so you might want' to stick with what yo have unless it's giving you specific probs.

Scott, I and we paid money for it so why the hell stick with it????

Tell that shit to those who stuck with TI7 or 8 or 9. I bought a product, I expect it to work at least as well as the last one. If you have nowt constructive to say then butt off cos the latest build is the one that doesn't work for me ?!?!?!?!?!?!

twit

Forum Star

What I meant is that going to the latest build of ATI 12/2009 isn't a good idea for everyone -- to avoid it's probs a person might want to avoid it and stick with a prior build.

If you are expecting any backup program to work just because you paid for it, you're in for some rude awakenings -- they all have probs. However, if a product doesn't do the tasks it's purported to do, under the law in most states, I believe, one are entitled to a refund -- it's called "warranty of merchantability." If someone sells you a wood saw and it won't saw wood, you're entitled to a refund.

Sorry if you don't find this helpful. Some might.

bin
Frequent Poster

Many thanks for such informed input.

Rude awakenings?? - I been a software developer since 1980 using mainly DEC equipment but also IBM and ICL computers so no need to patronise me about any rude awakenings or how bleedin wood cutters are supposed to work. You obviously have not read the things I wrote above, I suggest you do.

I do not require comments regarding how to use software and I have not asked such things. I have many products running quite happily, some free, many not. If you believe it is reasonable not to use a so called product upgrade and ask questions as to why it does not work then that is up to you - I feel very different.