Skip to main content

TIH 2009: incremental backup too big !

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 1

How can I see the content of ONLY the incremental .tib backup file (not the whole consolidated backup) ?

Hello,
I'm using True Image Home 2009 to backup my computer's data with the incremental (recommended) backup method, scheduled daily.
Once the first full backup has been run, only the changes which occured since the last backup are saved. But I noticed that these incremental backups are very often bigger than 20 Gb. I know that I didn't create or modify so many files ! I suppose it may be some big database file (Picasa for example) or even the trash (?) but I can't be sure because I can't see the content of the incremental backup. The TIH default behavior is to show all the files in the consolidated backup (full + incremental).

So, this is my question: how can I see the content of only one incremental backup, without the content of the full backup it depends on ?

Thanks for your help.
Regards,

Regis

0 Users found this helpful
Beginner
Comments: 23

You can't view the content of the incremental backups. Acronis does not back up changed files it backs up changed sectors. Even if no files are changed on your hardrive if some utility like a disk defragmenter moves around all the data sectors then Acronis will produce a large incremental backup since many sectors will have been changed.

Beginner
Comments: 1

Sure this is true for system (disk or partition) backup. But is it also true for data (file) backup ? Nevertheless, I didn't run such a tool. But Windows 7 may run the defragmenter automatically. I'll check.
I noticed that my backup included the recycle bin. I removed this with an exception. I'll see tomorrow if it changed something.

Beginner
Comments: 3

https://kb.acronis.com/content/15479

15479: Acronis Backup to Cloud: Disk Defragmentation Is Not Recommended

Also apply to you.