Skip to main content

TIH 2011 uninstall wiped out my Windows 7 Backup & restore

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 1

Kudos to Grant for finally solving this probelm with Acronis Home 11! Great solution for solving this frustrating probelm, Grant.

I was also caught up in the same issue as the other posters here (no Windows Backup and Restore after uninstalling Acronis). After spending an hour chatting with an Acronis tech support rep, who had NO CLUE that this issue is still UNRESOLVED by Acronis for over NINE MONTHS now, he provided nothing in the direction of a solution that worked.

This was the straw that broke the camel's back. No more Acronis for me. If Acronis is going to change my registry during an installation, then they just better change it back to the way they found it when I uninstall their software!

After having examining a ton of backup solutions (basically because I really did not like the Windows 7 Backup program functionality in the first place and it did not do everything to fulfill my needs), I am selecting StorageCraft's ShadowProtect as my baclup solution of choice. Best solution, hands down. I highly recommend checking it out, if you're looking for a REAL backup/restore solution that works, and works seamlessly with Windows.

Beginner
Comments: 3

Massive thanks to Grant. I was stumped by B&R not working for over an hour before realising what was causing it, and then 30 minutes of struggling with the registry problem everyone else has had. Not only that, I tried a reinstall to disable it through the UI and that didn't work either.

I wasn't using 2011 by the way, I was trialling 2012 to clone a disk and it still has the same problem.

So Acronis should be ashamed for 3 reasons;
Buggering up the registry and not fixing it when uninstalling.
Allowing that situation to continue, in spite of knowing all about it, for 2 full product releases.
Providing a "fix" that doesn't work and then ignoring this thread.

You can also add "not allowing cloning of disks in the trial version, but not telling you that before installation" to that list.

Side note: The registry key was already set with me as owner though I still wasn't allowed to change permissions for some reason, but changing Owner to the Administrators group which I am in, worked fine.

Beginner
Comments: 15

I have Windows 7, 64 bits, and using the 'Acronis True Image Home 2011 Cleanup Utility' completely removed ATIH 11 and restored the original Windows 7 Backup & Restore function.

It can be downloaded for free, and the instuctions on how to use it must be followed exactly of course. But they are so easy a child can do it. Just scroll down to the blue pictures, read the simple instruction below each picture before downloading the Utility and remember them -or jot them down- then download the Utility, apply the few simple instructions, and it should work.

I did not use  the "regedit" instructions which follow below the series of blue pictures, but you might want to. After a reboot there was no trace left of ATIH 11, and Windows 7 B & R worked fine.

I did this after I had removed ATIH 11 the normal way -and I did not see it anymore in my software list after that removal- and Windows 7 B & R was still not functioning. But after using the Utility, Windows 7 B & R was back in business as before.

Here is the download page with the instructions: http://kb.acronis.com/content/14871?nocache=1

Succes!

Beginner

I usually don't take the time to post on the forums. But that Grant guy is a genius. That fix on the registry got me right back up and running. I am not ever going to use Acronis EVER. Stuff like this is like software terrorism.

Beginner

Grant wrote:

*****NEWS ALERT******

Problem Solved for EVERYONE!!!!!! Or at least I am sure that many of you will find that you can fix the problem. Again it is a shame that Acronis didn't resolve this sooner.

You have to go to the registry and go to [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B98A2BEA-7D42-4558-8BD1-832F41BAC6FD}\Instance\InitPropertyBag]. The problem is that Acronis took ownership of this location keeping you from updating the key. Follow the steps below and it will allow you to make the required changes.

( taking ownership ) I went to that key and successfully took ownership...
1. Click on key and select properties.
2. click on "advanced"
3. select "owner tab"
4. change "System" or "Trusted Installer" to yourself "Name Administrator Blah Blah" Click Apply... OK
5 Back at original "permissions screen"... click on the name you just selected and "tick off the check box" to give yourself "full control" Sometimes it even appears "Grayed out"... you can still check it off.
6.That should do the trick
7. Now change the ResourceDLL to "%SystemRoot%\System32\sdcpl.dll"
8. Finally change the ResourceID to "14".

Questions let me know.

-G

Grant, thank you very much for the detailed and precise solution. This helped me to overcome the "Backup and Restore shortcut doing nothing" situation in Win7x64.

I can't believe Acronis fails this bad in "uninstall" procedures, I made sure that the backup integration was not enabled before uninstalling...

PS: I did try reinstalling re-uninstalling / official removal tool / with no positive outcome, only this edit worked.

Beginner
Comments: 22

I do want to say after uninstalling the software and finding out that they caused issues with your system is frustrating. The reason I uninstalled my in the beginning was because the incremental backup scheme was not working correctly. With the latest version, which you can get after login, they have clearly addressed the issue. That said, I have returned to using Acronis because it does work and works well. Even though MS backup works really well, you still have more options with Acronis.

But I can tell you that after having to deal with Acronis, I am not impressed with the support and response to clear issues like this one. We have also purchased their enterprise software and the deduplication had issues. That said, they eventually resolved that problem but support seemed lacking.

All in all though, this item should still be considered because it does work well. We just have to hope for better support down the road.

Beginner

Grant, this was only one aspect of the uninstall... I've had several (http://forum.acronis.com/forum/24547?page=1#comment-79566)...

I've been using windows since 3.1 and am one of the guys who opens up preferences/options just after a fresh install before using the program. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say I know my way around windows quite a bit.

All these said, I can't comprehend, how a big software provider can fail to remove their own components. There is no excuse for this, the download that has uninstallation problems resides on the same server as the "uninstall cleaning kits", why not embed the fix into the program in the first place? Furthermore, how can a software company have 2011 and 2012 versions and these both have the same uninstallation issue and respective cleaning tools?

To be honest, the software probably does it's main task and I'm not judging that part, but 11 years after Y2K, one does not expect "uninstallation" problem filled forums for a simple program...

Beginner

I agree that they should have resolved this long ago and support should be much better. But the only question I have, does this only apply to Windows 7? But again it is up to them to resolve the problem. Yes I very much have a problem with this issue, but my original problem was solved with the incrementals and I have started using the software again. Mainly because it does work really well and I have no intensions on using MS backups. Hope you are able to resolve your issues and find a reliable solution.

Forum Hero
Comments: 8748

From build 6597 (v2011) this problem was fixed - so if anyone has later builds that still have the problem then no one has mentioned it previously, whether this was fixed in non English builds I don't know.

Beginner
Comments: 4

I have read the all the postings in 14782. You gentlemen spent so much time resolving this problem on your own, without help from Acronis. Your dedication and perseverance is really amazing and impressive. I am hoping to avoid dealing with the same problem, so a question, please. Is this also an issue with TIH 2010? I bought this version almost a year ago but never installed it, waiting until I got around to reconfiguring my system and installing Windows 7. Now that’s done, and TIH 2010 is installed. Before I even try to use Windows 7 backup, is there something I should do with TIH – even uninstall it – to avoid the problem you have all had to deal with?

Thank you very much!

Forum Hero

Travis,

2010, doesn't have the integrate into Windows backup feature, so no, you won't find Windows Backup and Recovery icon will point to TIH 2010 when clicked, nor will it stay looking for TIH if you uninstall 2010.

All that didn't work in earlier versions in this regard was the ability to switch back to the Windows B&R utility either on demand or when early version of 2011 were uninstalled.

Beginner

I wouldn't be worried about the ability of the product, it does work well. It is just the problem with uninstall and then if you want to use Win7backups. I am running Acronis daily and we have used it for years imaging systems. Just more concerned with customer service and desire to resolve a known issue.

Beginner

Colin...

... or 2012 (which is what I was using)

Forum Hero

choddo wrote:
Colin...

... or 2012 (which is what I was using)

It certainly integrates and de-integrates on my W7 64bit system OK. One of the first things I tested in the beta and the release.

Did you have an earlier version installed previously? Sounds like something is corrupted as far as TIH is concerned on your system

Beginner
Comments: 4

Colin:
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply and explain that the issue you have all been dealing with is exclusive to TIH 2011, and I will not have the same issue with the 2010 version. I just spent a whole lot of time reconfiguring my system, moving to Windows 7 from XP, changing from Outlook Express to Windows Live, reinstalling all programs (disks and downloads) and the never-ending minutiae that’s involved with all that. The last thing I did was install Acronis, having never used it before, and I got that sinking feeling when it seemed as though I might have to do it all over again if TIH had a problem with Windows backup. I may still have to do an uninstall/reinstall of TIH because it locked up when I first tried to use it, but that’s no big deal now that I know I won’t need to reinstall Windows or mess with the Registry.

So sorry you have all had this problem. Again, a big thanks to you for the information.

Beginner

@Colin... interesting. No I never had an earlier version. Also on Win7 64bit. Install and uninstall seemed to work fine. Got the exact same symptoms (and fix) as everyone else.

I was using the 30day trial, don't know if that matters?

Beginner

It worked using Grant's instructions! It took me some time to get it to work because although the location and CLSID were correct (no small feat in itself), the directions to take ownership were different from the way my registry worked.
1. right click on the InitPropertyBag and left click the Permissions item, not the "Properties" item which is nonexistent in my registry.
2. The rest of the directions were pretty accurate; to get ownership click Advanced, then the Owner tab. I changed mine to Administrator blah, blah etc then clicked Apply and then OK (I didn't have the option of "Trusted Installer").
3. On the screen that appeared (which is the first screen after "Permissions" was selected), I selected Administrator blah, blah, etc (the same selection I made on the "Owner" tab) and checked Full Control (which worked even though it appeared to be grayed out, as reported by Grant).
4. At this point I was allowed to make the changes that Grant posted, which worked! Finally, after months, I was able to access Windows BackUp again !!!!
5. Ever since I installed Aconis Trial (which I immediately uninstalled) my hard drive has been working overtime, to the extent that I was getting messages that the hard drive was doing excessive activity. Hopefully that will change. At least now I have the ability to access the back up schedule.
6. Thanks, Grant, for taking the time to enlighten the rest of us and saving many of us the time consumed trying to make the myriad Aconis unsucessful attempts work (many of the efforts have been documented on this forum which I assume accurately describes their frustrating experiences).

N.B. I wonder how much money Aconis has made from not fixing this problem. Unless you're adventurous or a dedicated geek, you might be inclined to plunk down the money to move from the Aconis Trial version to a retail copy, or you might decided to continue using the purchased copy (thereby getting dependent on Aconis to protect your data). As Monk would say, "I could be wrong but I don't think so."

Forum Star
Comments: 1344

A KB article was created and an automated fix was made to correct this behavior on those machine experiencing this issue.

http://kb.acronis.com/content/26912

Beginner
Comments: 2

Uninstalling Acronis has wiped out the Windows Backup and I am unable to change the registry entries. I've read all of this forum and can see that Grant has a solution but as I can't change the registry I'm still stuck. It's really poor practice from Acronis and just seems really greedy on their part especially as they don't seem to be bothered to help. I now have no backup and don't want to be even having to delve into the registry to fix it. If anyone can help me with it I'll be very grateful but please don't get too techy!

Beginner
Comments: 2

I have managed now to edit the registry, thanks to message above but it's still not working.
My ResourceDLL is now C:\Program Files (x86)\%SystemRoot%\System32\sdcpl.dll
Is that correct? Also I'm running a 64 bit system.
Getting a bit desperate now!

Beginner

Hey, how exactly do I "change the ResourceDLL to...."

I'm not familiar with the process. Is it through the cmd.exe?

Beginner

You have to modify this in the registry. Click start run and type regedit. The instructions should tell you how to do the rest.

Grant

Beginner

Thanks Grant for your help thus far.

I'm struggling to change the value of ResourceDll because when I change the value to %SystemRoot%\System32\sdcpl.dll it is popping up an error message saying that I cannot change the value.

Beginner

Sorry for my incompetent mistake.

I wasn't selecting "Administrator" in the permission screen before checking the box saying "Full control."

As a result, I was changing "Permissions for System," or "Permissions for Restricted" the entire time.

Got it to work! Thanks Grant!

Beginner

Grant - excellent post. Two caveats
1) as you mention, run as administrator (right click and choose run as for regedit)
2) for the key, right click the parent then choose permissions. Then bottom right choose Advanced button, then in the new window the Owner tab. This is about the only thing that is extra that should help those lost.

Love permissions (actually hate.) But hey, fixed, thanks for the bump grant in #36 and 40. Last thought, run the regedit once the permissions gets fixed if you got an error earlier. This will also fix the problem but not if the register key is locked. To do this one has to still reset the permissions to the administrators account.

As a side note, use admin group - not a personal user account as this too can be trouble waiting to happen if you ever install software. Best to run with the inheritable permissions from the parents and not going all rogue. Just a thought...

GL All!

Beginner

Many thanks to GRANT for solving this issue. Just tried it and worked a treat.
In his intructions where he states: "( taking ownership ) I went to that key and successfully took ownership...
1. Click on key and select properties", It should read "select Permissions".

Had me confused for a while but figured it out. "Bye Bye Acronis, Hello Active@ disk image.

Beginner

I still want to add that I do use Acronis and have for years. I DO NOT like this problem reported in this thread and cannot believe a solution has from them has not been released. My problem started with the functions of 2011 in that it would not delete old versions. But this was fixed in a patch and it now works exactly like I would expect. I am glad that this helps everyone out when uninstalling but I still say that Acronis is a good backup utility.

Beginner

Here's a summary of what happened to me and what I have done so far to fix it. I have Windows 7 Home 64bit. I have TIH 2012 which was an upgrade from TIH 2009. After having various problems with TIH 2012 I decided to use Windows 7 B&R which worked fine. I then removed TIH 2012 from my computer. At that point I discovered that Windows 7 B&R would not work when selecting it from the Control Panel. Interestingly, when I looked at the contents of my external hard drive, I found that my Windows B&R scheduled backups had still been done although I could not view them from the Control Panel. Anyway, after getting the cold shoulder from the Acronis support staff, because my support period had run out, I started to look at this forum. (Incidentally I think that since Acronis software had effectively damaged my computer they should feel obligated to fix it free of charge, but that's a whole other subject). I then re-installed TIH 2012 to see if the latest version had fixed the problem but I was still unable to get Acronis to relinquish control of the Windows 7 B&R. After reading many of the posts in this forum and trying several suggestions without success I downloaded and ran winintegrationfix.zip. This seems to have fixed the problem for now and I was able to give control back to Windows 7. I now have the problem of deciding whether to uninstall Acronis TIH 2012 and risk the problem returning, or to leave it on my computer and not use it, effectively wasting 215 Mb of disk space. Does anyone know for sure if the problem will reappear if I uninstall what is now the latest version of Acronis 2012 TIH (build 7133) ?

Forum Star
Comments: 2760

John,

If you have already disabled the Windows integration (by using the "fix"), removing 2012 will not change how Windows B&R is working on your system now.

Beginner
Comments: 10

Grant and RJ,

I haven't been able to make a repair disk for two years. The lengthy .reg file fix posted by Acronis would not merge, even after changing permissions. I was able to use Grant's much simpler registry change, with RJ's clarification about the 14 being hex. I now have a repair disk.

Thanks!

Windows 7 Ultimate, 32-bit.

Beginner

The Windows backup service needs to be set to "Automatic" so it will start on demand. If it is set to "Manual" you must start it before running Control Panel -> Backup.

Beginner

Hi,
I installed a version of Acronis 2011 that came with my Seagate NAS box, badged as Seagate BlackArmor Backup. Like the many folks who have posted here, I found it hard to uninstall and also that it had hijacked Windows Backup. I followed Grant's very clear directions in posting #36 but on my x64 laptop, found that it didn't work.
After much wasted time, I looked at the Registry entry on an x32 machine...and found the link was exactly as Grant had given it. That prompted me to look for the location of the sdcpl.dll on the x64 laptop. When I entered _that_ address, all was sweeteness and light. So: in case it spares someone else much wasted time, the Resource DLL address that worked on my machine was: "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sdcpl.dll".
The moral would appear to be: find out where the sdcpl.dll is located on your computer.

best wishes,

Peter

Beginner

Still a prob w/ 2014 Build# 4515

Looks like this issue still exists with Acronis True Image HD 2014 Build# 4515. I finally got around to installing a Crucial SSD drive which came with the TIH 2014 limited version for disk cloning. Sure enough after installing, windows backup would no longer launch. I then proceeded to uninstall TIH successfully via control panel and windows 7 backup would still not launch. After following Grant's registry hack, all is good now.

Grant - Thank you very much for finding the fix!

Acronis - I lost 13 hrs of my life trying to figure out what caused Windows 7 backup to not launch. Suffice to say, I will not be purchasing your product.

Beginner

Peter,

I feel your pain, but I am still an acronis fan.  2015 really compresses well and restore and reliability are still there.  The only major problem I found is that they only allow auto syncing to the cloud.  To me that is crap.  It is a shame too that they never fixed what clearly was their problem.  Anyway I hope you find a good solution.  At least their product seems much more stable than earlier years.