Skip to main content

True image 2009 install hangs Windows at boot XP splash screen, removing some software helped

Beginner
Comments: 1

After installing TI 2009 home, my XP home failed to boot and hangs at the windows splash screen just before the logon screen would come up. I upgraded from TI version 11. Did uninstall TI and disk director and used the "1727: Acronis Clean Up Utility".

Had to instruct windows to go back to last good configuration at XP boot time. Also sometimes had to do an XP system restore during experimenting. Also tried manual remove. All TI installs themselves finished OK, no errors. The TI install just ended telling me to boot........
At last I uninstalled Windows Defender and Spyware Doctor (free). Then installed TI 2009, booted and XP came up again. After that installed disk director and booted 2 times because TI 2009 does not like disk director to be installed afterwords.

Any tips on installing MS windows defender and spyware doctor with TI 2009?

Forum Member
Comments: 33

Were there any problems when you installed v2009? I can't even get to having your problem. My install fails halfway through. I am told that a level 2 tech is working on it but I have heard nothing except a request (third time) to upload and msi log. I have removed lots of stuff running at installation time but that's not the problem.

Thanks for anyones ideas and help.

Regards,

Beginner
Comments: 1

Yes,indeed I had problems.
I started the process of removing/cleaning because I got a message something like' installation interrupted, restart install'. I cleaned up the %temp% directory on my XP account. Then removed everything (TI and disk director) by add/remove software form the XP control panel. Then downloaded the cleanup utility form Acronis and downloaded the required Microsoft support stuff mentioned on that Acronis support page. After that I could install, but got the boot problem described above.

Forum Hero
Comments: 8747

As Dick99999 says, the TI installer is very particular about items in your Temporary folder. Delete as much of the contents of this folder as Windows will allow, might even be necessary to boot into Windows Safe mode to delete the files so as Windows won't lock the some of the contents. Once deleted TI should install OK.

In XP the full path is
C:\Documents and Settings\your_user_name\local settings\Temp

and in Vista/W7

C:\Users\your_user_name\Local Settings\Temp

Forum Star
Comments: 2991

Hello Dick99999,

Thank you for using [[http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/ | Acronis True Image]]

Please restore the boot loader manually. You can learn more on how to do it [[http://kb.acronis.com/content/1507 | here]].

Please boot up from the Windows Bootable CD, then go to the Recovery Console (the first Repair option you come to).

From the command prompt please type:

FIXMBR C:
FIXBOOT C:
COPY CDDrive:\I386\NTLDR C:\
COPY CDDrive:\I386|NTDETECT.COM C:\
BOOTCFG /rebuild

After that, please reboot your computer.

Thank you.

Beginner
Comments: 15

On installation I get "The installation was interrupted before Acronis True Image Home could be installed. You need to restart the installer again."
I have deleted the Maxtor program, retried the new installation several times using the long password (64) received by email, downloaded the program twice, cleaned out the Temp files, rebooted several times, but still can't install - it keeps rolling back. Why please?

Forum Hero
Comments: 8747

Kevin Keep wrote:

On installation I get "The installation was interrupted before Acronis True Image Home could be installed. You need to restart the installer again."

Did you clean out the hidden temp file under your user log in or the temp file under Windows folder?

Beginner

Thanks Bodgy,

I hadn't, but did. Same result unfortunately.

Kevin

Forum Member

I finaslly resolved my install problem. I did'nt uninstall any programs but I did make sure nothing was running in the background. As it was said earlier ATI is very finicky as to how it installs. I ran Acronis cleanup to make sure all traces of ATI were removed. then rebooted. Then I completely analysed my msconfig and Task Manager to make sure that no programs were running in the background. I found that a little icon program that makes my XP icons look like Vista icons was the final problem. When that was shut down ATI 2009 installed very easily.

Took a thile but it worked. I suggest that the instruction I mention above should be emphasized in the install instructions.

Good luck,

Regards

Werner

Beginner

Thanks Werner,

I tried disabling all that I could via Task Manager, leaving needed csrss, explorer, taskmgr, rundll, winlogon, and dwm exe files on my Vista SP2 machine, deleting the temp files, but still without joy.

I did see the Acronis True Image Home icon installed on the desk top before the uninstall roll back commences. That goes, as does the files seen installing in C:\Program Files\Acronis\Acronis\TrueImageHome\

As before I'm still getting "The installation was interrupted before Acronis True Image Home could be installed. You need to restart the installer again."

I'm rather disappointed in my upgrade purchase with at least a day wasted trying to make it do as Acronis claim.

Kevin

Beginner

By the way, I also switched off Windows Firewall pre installation

Kevin

Beginner

One more thing, on my Computer Management (local)/Device Manager listing, I get 'Acronis Devices'. When opened I see 'Acronis True Image Backup Archive Explorer'

I had previously removed this before again trying to installing ATI 2009.

Any idea, anyone, how I can contact support. I have tried the form, but as yet no response. Maybe I'm too impatient after two days!

Forum Member

Go to the chat line. This gets you a live person. They were very helpful to me. They didn't solve the problem but gave me enough hints so that I was able to eventually solve the problem.

Regards,

Werner

Beginner

Thanks again Werner. I wasn't aware of a chat line. I must find it and try a real live person.

Kevin

Forum Star
Comments: 2991

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for using [[http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/ | Acronis True Image]]

To find the exact reason of the issue please obtain the below information and contact our Live chat service available on this page, under Contact us click on the Start here button and follow the step-by-step guide. You should have these file at hand:

1. Launch the product installation file;

2. Once the Acronis product installation screen appears, right-click on the name of the component that fails to install. You should see two options there: Install and Extract. Select Extract;

3. Select the path for extracting the component and click Save. You should select C partition, and leave the auto-created file name.

4. Go to the Run prompt (Start -> Run) and issue the following command:

msiexec /i C:\AcronisTrueImage.msi /l*v C:\msilog.log

5. Reproduce the problem and provide us with the log file created during the installation;

6. Please compress MSI output file into an archive (e.g. with WinZip) .

7. - Open Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Information;
- Choose the "Save" option in the "File" menu (or "Action" menu under Windows 2000), enter the "File name" and set the field "Save as type" to "System Information File (*.NFO)";
- Provide us with the saved file.

Thank you.

Beginner

Thank you Oleg,

Attached are the msilog.log and  System Information File.nfo from my Vista SP2 Premium Home Edition machine. I have zipped up AcronisTrueImage.msi to AcronisTrueImage.zip. It is 83,962 KB so can't be uploaded with the 4MB limit, so I can't see the point.

I hope then that you have enough info

Kevin

Forum Star
Comments: 3047

A good idea when unisntalling/installing ATI is to first load mscofg.exe, go to Services tab, check hide all microsoft services, then disable all, then go to Startup tab and click Disable all, then exit then reboot, then do you install/uninstall.   When you're all done, after the last reboot, in msconfig.exe, go to Services and Startup tabs and click on Enable all.

This isn't always necessary but I've found it to be the most reliable way to pull of installs/uninstalls -- it takes little time and compared to those times when you need it, saves loads of time. Once ATI is installed, onemight also find this procedure helpful for installing/unisntalling certain other programs including security suites, Nero, and a number of others (perhaps those that install drivers).

werner stern wrote:

I finaslly resolved my install problem. I did'nt uninstall any programs but I did make sure nothing was running in the background. As it was said earlier ATI is very finicky as to how it installs. I ran Acronis cleanup to make sure all traces of ATI were removed. then rebooted. Then I completely analysed my msconfig and Task Manager to make sure that no programs were running in the background. I found that a little icon program that makes my XP icons look like Vista icons was the final problem. When that was shut down ATI 2009 installed very easily.

Took a thile but it worked. I suggest that the instruction I mention above should be emphasized in the install instructions.

Good luck,

Regards

Werner

Beginner

Thanks Scott,

Good thoughts re disabling services. I tried same. Then I tried different combinations (to the extent that I had to pull out my Vista installation disk to repair the system :-(]

In between those events I tried several more times to install dear, sweet, paid for, Acronis True Image 2009 on my Vista machine to no avail.

I might mention that I tried the trial 2009 on my XP laptop with proper results, but I want it on my main machine using Vista 32 (Home Premium edition)

But I do appreciate the input Scott.