Skip to main content

True Image 2013 Plus Pack WinPE 4.0 (Windows 8) - How to

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 6

I only have Win 7. How does this need to be tweaked for it to work for me? I tried just downloading the Windows AIK for Win 7 and installing the .NET Framework Setup and MSXML 6 SP1 Setup and Windows AIK Setup and then skipping the Win 8 ADK. Then a little further down when I copied copy "c:\winpe_x86\media\sources\boot.wim" "c:\winpe_x86\winpe.wim" it failed with a file not found error.

Beginner
Comments: 1

I have made he True Image 2013 Plus Pack WinPE 4.0 (Windows 8) bootable rescue disk according to the instructions .
In my new asus notebook with an uefi bios this disk won't boot. When I press the ESC button when starting the notebook I don't see the uefi-dvddrive listed.
The reason should be that the Secure Boot option of Windows 8 would accept this bootcd as a legimate bootcd. This bootdisk starts on my Windows 7 computers, so that the disk is OK.

Please tell me what to do, so I can start this disk on my Windows 8 computer

Henk Z

Beginner

H.J. Zijlstra wrote:

I have made he True Image 2013 Plus Pack WinPE 4.0 (Windows 8) bootable rescue disk according to the instructions .
In my new asus notebook with an uefi bios this disk won't boot. When I press the ESC button when starting the notebook I don't see the uefi-dvddrive listed.
The reason should be that the Secure Boot option of Windows 8 would accept this bootcd as a legimate bootcd. This bootdisk starts on my Windows 7 computers, so that the disk is OK.

Please tell me what to do, so I can start this disk on my Windows 8 computer

Henk Z

Acronis has no native 64bit version, and Secure Boot only accepts 64bit PE. So you can't boot Acronis if you have Secure Boot enabled.

Beginner

I am also having the same problem as H.J. Zijlstra I have an Asus N56VZ notebook and have been trying to get this to work for days. I have a case open with Acronis at the moment and am waiting to hear back. I think the problem lies with compatibility with the UEFI BIOS. My main reason for WinPE was because the standard boot media would boot OK (once I disabled secure boot in the BIOS) but would not show any network connections (it was as if no driver was loaded for my network adapter).

Forum Hero
Comments: 8747

John Falk wrote:

Acronis has no native 64bit version, and Secure Boot only accepts 64bit PE. So you can't boot Acronis if you have Secure Boot enabled.

Just for information purposes:

ABR11.5 Workstation does have WinPE 64 bit access for the recovery environment, I assume because most of the MS Server software is now 64 bit. I imagine that up until W8 came out there were more 32 bit based systems than 64 bit and True Image WinPe 3.0 (32 bit) could cope quite easily with XP,Vista, W7 systems.

Note: With the current build, although ABR11.5 is UEFI compliant, it will not run on Windows 8 correctly, and probably doesn't know about Secure Boot as yet. Windows 8 and Server 2012 compatability (with WinPE 4.0) is in the beta build of ABR11.5 SQL Server as mentioned in the ABR forum. However the current build recovery CD in Linux does boot my 64 bit W7/8 system.

PT
Beginner
Comments: 10

I had the same problem recently with an Asus K95 / A95VJ-YZ034H Notebook.
It can only boot from an UEFI media, for example Windows7 and Windows 8 Media worked.
Acronis cannot do the same which looks like Acronis lost track of recent changes.
Thanks to John Falk for offering all the other options that exist so far.
Especially I find it great to even have a freeware solution that is better than Acronis, which costs money.
If Acronis is not improving their product asap, I will not buy any Acronis Product anymore.
I will move to one of the options and I will never come back to Acronis anymore, as long as those products do what I want them to do.
And this includes being able to boot on UEFI only systems.

Beginner

On my pc the AcronisMedia.wim File has the name AcronisMedium.wim. Maybe because of the german language.

PT
Beginner

@Conqueror_01
You dont need to quote the whole posting just for one line of reply.
This makes the whole thread less readable.
Would be nice if you could edit your posting and remove the unnecessary quote ?
I have btw already asked the same question as you before and it has been answered already, if you read the thread.
Unfortunately James did not agree to modify the description with a comment that AcronisMedia.wim is language specific.

Beginner
Comments: 20

How to make True Image 2013 boot work on a Windows 8 x86 Intel tablet (like Samsung ATIV 500 / 700)

Original thread: http://forum.acronis.com/forum/37455

Follow this great step-by-step tutorial and you will have a bootable Acronis True Image 2013 USB stick for backup & restore outside of windows (on a fresh, dead, whatever machine): http://stealthfield.wordpress.com/2012/09/06/create-winpe-4-0-acronis-t…

Some Samsung ATIV 500T Windows 8 tablet specific notes:

• I tested this solution: works perfectly fine! It takes you about 30mins the first time.
  • You'll need Acronis Plus Pack for creating the WinPE stick
  • The machine automatically boots into the WinPE 4.0 Acronis TI2013 stick when it is plugged in. You do not need to select anything.
  • It will not work with WinPE 3.0 even if Acronis says so. They dont seem to have a very good clue about the new secure boot stuff.
    This only works with x86 systems (!) as Acronis didnt manage it to offer a x64 compatible version of its WinPE plugin (!). Luckily these Windows 8 tablets are usually x86.
  • USB boot works on the Samsung Ativ 500T but its BIOS is simply NOT accepting any non-windows systems / boot sticks because the BIOS doesn't offer a Secure Boot legacy option like every other recent BIOS does. Thats the big joke here and the reason for all our problems. I am quite sure that they do that for purpose (windows 8 license) and it still is very disappointing.
  • These kind of problems should affect every recent / upcoming Windows 8 tablet if my guess is correct about the reason being licensing issues.

Cheers,

Felix

Attachment Size
121794-105772.jpg 166.72 KB
Beginner

Felix: I tried the "stealthfield" tutorial you mention, and it worked fine for me.

I have two Samsung tablets: an ATIV 500 and an ATIV 700.  The ATIV 700, incidentally, is not an x86 machine.  But the x86 bootable ATIH2013 stick also works in the ATIV 700 anyway, because on the 700 (unlike the 500) you can turn off BOTH secure boot and UEFI boot.

You say your USB stick boots simply from being inserted in the 500 before power up. How do you manage that? On my 500, I have to select it, such as by using F10 after Power On. The 500 offers no boot-priority selection.

I think you alluded to problems booting the 500 to an external USB DVD drive. I cannot make that work.  I made an ATIH2013 bootable DVD disc during the same WinPE exercise I used for making the bootable USB stick. The DVD disc boots in my 700 just fine, but not in the 500. The 500 won't even recognize the DVD drive as a bootable device if the disc I made is loaded in it. If I put some other disc (a standard Acronis boot disc, to be specific) in the drive, then the 500 recognizes the drive as bootable, but it fails (of course) to boot that disc. Does any of this match your experience?  I am using the latest 500 firmware -- P06AAI

A final success note: I used the bootable ATIH2013 stick to make whole-disk image backups of both my ATIV tablets: the 500 and the 700. I then, with some trepidation, restored both images, and both machines emerged intact -- bootable and operating.

Beginner
Comments: 20

Hi John,

good to hear that the workaround also did the trick for you :)

Maybe I was mistaking about the way I boot from the TI USB Boot stick and I also have to manually select it in Bios. I am not 100% sure as it has been quite a long time since I did it. I will test it again when I do my next Ativ 500 full backup.

As far as I know nobody ever could successfully boot from an external USB DVD drive with the Ativ 500. The BIOS seems to be very limited and Samsung isn't really interested in fixing these problems. Customer support is clueless and just ignores the issues :)

At least we can make full backups even if it is not the easiest approach. I hope that the situation will get better in the future... Samsung, Microsoft, Acronis - they all have room for improvements.

Beginner

Thi afternoon I received a personal email from the central supportteam of Acronis that they had made a Hotfix for Acronis True image 2013 Home.
After installing this Hotfix you can make a bootable recorvery disk, that will start without Secure Boot vilation error om a Windows 8 64-bits computer with an EFI board.

The link for this Hotfix is ; http://kb.acronis.com/content/38965
I have installed the Hotfix and all works as it belongs to work.

Beginner
Comments: 4

I have been having a lot of trouble recovering backups with Acronis TI 2013 on my Dell Windows 8 x64 computer. I have communicated several times with Acronis Tech Support. I have applied the 5551 build hot fix to get around Secure Boot. I am now able to get around SB however when the Acronis Loader appears, it is so small and garbled that I can't read it or anything that comes after it. Tech Support told me to use the F11 key to use some of the tools therein provided, however F11 doesn't appear to work on my machine in this Linux environment.

For the last several days I have been using James F's Forum item 35238 to build a WinPE environment that I was hoping would result in readable text. I did this using an older Windows 7 machine, as Acronis Tech Support told me that I couldn't use my Windows 8 machine to do any of this.I have been able so far to build a WinPE 3.0 iso boot disk. This of course will not work on my Windows 8 machine, but it did work on my Windows 7 machine so I know I did it correctly. The procedure described in Forum 35238 to build a WinPE 4.0 for Windows 8 appeared intimidating to me, so before I moved down that path, I was wondering if there is any easier way. The other concern I had was that Forum 35238 indicated, I believe, that I would have to find the 64 bit drivers to install in the boot media. This also seemed intimidating to me.

One last point. I have read other forum items that some people have been able to make their machines get around secure boot with only the hotfix. My only thought would be that my Dell computer is different somehow.

Could anyone help? Thank you.

Beginner
Comments: 2

James F:

7. Create a bootable ISO using the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) for Window 8.

If you are running a 64 bit Version of Windows 7 or Windows 8:

copy "c:\program files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\x86\Oscdimg\etfsboot.com"
copy "c:\program files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\x86\Oscdimg\oscdimg.exe"

If you are running a 32 bit Version of Windows 7 or Windows 8:

copy "c:\program files\Windows Kits\8.0\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\x86\Oscdimg\etfsboot.com"
copy "c:\program files\Windows Kits\8.0\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\x86\Oscdimg\oscdimg.exe"

James,

Probably a dumb question but, in my experience, the "program files (x86)" directory is for 32-bit executables and the "program files" directory is for 64-bit executables. Your instructions above seem to indicate the opposite case.

Can you please confirm and/or clarify?

Thanks!

Forum Star
Comments: 2759

Gearbox,

Your question is easy to answer.

Acronis does not have a native 64 bit application used for recovery. The WinPE based Rescue disk must be a 32 bit version of WinPE, and any additional drivers to support your hardware in the WinPE recovery environment MUST be 32 bit to work with the 32 bit Acronis True Image application.

The instructions are correct. The command lines choice is dependent on which version (32 bit or 64 bit) of Windows you are running on when building the WinPE based Rescue Media.

Alan,

Tech support is not correct about you being able to create WinPE 3.0 or WinPE 4.0 based Rescue Media on Windows 8.
The Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows 7, and the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) for Windows 8, can be installed on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 systems with no problem.

To create the WinPE 4.0 (Windows 8 based) Rescue Media ISO, both the AIK and ADK packages need to be installed to be able to follow my instructions.

You would not need (in most cases) to add any additional drivers when creating the WinPE 4.0 Rescue Media for use on your system, as it contains many drivers for Video hardware and should support your system without adding any additional drivers.

Because Acronis does not provide a 64 bit version of the True Image application for use in creating WinPE based bootable Rescue Media, the WinPE 3.0 or Win PE 4.0 Rescue Media HAS to be 32 bit. Because of this, Secure boot will still have to be turned off in the UEFI firmware on your system to allow booting from the WinPE 3.0 or WinPE 4.0 32 bit Rescue Media.

Beginner

James

Thank you so much for your reply. I will start using my Windows 8 machine for this process. Also I will not worry about drivers unless I need to.

I was thinking that after the hotfix was installed, I would not need to shift from Secure Boot to Legacy Boot for this operation, but the hotfix must only apply to the base Acronis TI Linux recovery environment. If I did not have display problems with the Linux environment, I would not have to worry about using the WinPE environment. I guess the forum members who had Windows 8 64bit systems and said that the hotfix worked may have a computer other than Dell.

Thank you again for you help.

Alan

Forum Star

Alan,

The issue you have is with display driver support (for your system) in the Linux version of the Acronis Rescue Media. The Secure Boot issue is not your problem by itself. They are two separate issues.

Legacy boot using the WinPE 4.0 Rescue Media is your best bet.

Beginner

James

I will go with the WinPE 4.0 Rescue Media route

Thank you again
Alan

Beginner

James,

Got it! Thanks for the confirmation.

Pas
Beginner
Comments: 3

I did a test with this guide, and successfully created a winpe iso and created a usb boot with acronis 2013.
I injected my nic driver successfully.
the usb boot fine, but under the acronis menu option I don't have any network present??
going in the winpe console and enter ipconfig I got a solid IP address and valid gateway.
anyone have any ID as to why? or how I can make acronis see my network?
any tips?
Thanks
Pas

Forum Star

Pas,

Under WinPE as created in this post, you would need to use the command line method of mapping a drive letter or letters to your network shares.

How to map a workgroup/domain network drive in WinPE from the command prompt:

Some useful syntax options for the NET command:

NET USE [DriveLetter]: [NetworkLocation] [DomainPassword]|* /USER:[Domain]\[DomainUserName]

[DriveLetter] = The letter you would like to map
[NetworkLocation] = The location on the network you are trying to map to
[DomainPassword] = The users domain password
[Domain] = The domain the user and network location is on
[DomainUserName] The username of the user

Examples:

NET USE N: "\\servername\sharename" mypassword /USER:username
NET USE N: "\\servername\sharename" mypassword /USER:mydomain.com\domainusername
NET USE * "\\servername\sharename"

There are more syntax options for the NET USE command:
http://www.cezeo.com/tips-and-tricks/net-use-command/

A good list of the syntax options for the NET command itself:
http://www.computerhope.com/nethlp.htm

You can create a batch (.bat or .cmd) file that contains your network mappings, and execute the batch file from the command prompt to make the mappings easier if used often.

See this related post:
http://forum.acronis.com/forum/36743#comment-125873

Forum Star
Comments: 2001

I'd like to offer some help to anyone needing to build a WinPE 4.0 bootable ISO or USB flash drive with True Image Home included. I've written a program called MustangPEBuilder 2.0 that greatly simplifies the process. For details follow the link in my signature to download the program and the True Image plugin for your version. 

MustangPE uses the standard Microsoft tools to build a customized WinPE that boots into a comfortable Windows like shell for ease of use. You will see there are two versions of MustangPE (a WAIK version and an ADK version). The ADK version will build a WinPE 4.0 and only requires installing the ADK from Microsoft. There are many custom features in MustangPE including  injecting drivers for your hardware at build time. 

Here  is a link to the ADK version with screenshots.

You will see that mapping a network drive has been made easy with a menu item that opens a command window with instructions. Don't forget to unmap the network drive before you exit WinPE.

Please direct any questions or comments to forum.acronis.com/forum/17630

Forum Star

Thanks, Paul, for placing your links in this thread.

The MustangPE is very easy to build, and is much better than the standard WinPE environment.

I use this product (ADK version) to build my Acronis WinPE 4.0 Rescue Media, and I highly recommend it.

James

Pas
Beginner

Thanks for posting this. will try for sure.
also the free TIHome2013.zip plugin seems offline to download?
Pas

edit >> link for the acronis plugin work only with IE

Pas
Beginner

Thanks James for these NET USE command..
Ugh....
just tried a macrium winpe rescue boot.. so flawless amazing.. network just came up like magic.

Beginner

Hello James,

I created a bootable USB Stick using your excellent instructions, and (nearly) everything works beautifully. Thanks a lot!!.

Now to the "(nearly)" part: How does one integrate a different keyboard layout? The standard US Layout isn't very userriendly on a German computer :)

The second thing: The Acronis WinPE Standalone version looks very much like the True Image Home 2010 (and later), but not even similar to the desktop version of True Image 2013 home. Ist that to be expected?

Other than than, I am very happy!

With kind regards

Volker Bandke

Beginner

Great post! Unfortunately it doesn't work for me.
Problem is in step 5, just after you say "See Windows_8_ADK_Screen_7.png" and click "Next". There I get an error message (see attachment).
The error says: "To be able to modify WinPE 2.0 or WinPE 3.0 images, install Acronis WinPE ISO Builder on a computer where Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) is installed." and it doesn't jump to the next page.
I have it installed. I even created an ISO for Windows 7 before in a different winpe_x86 folder. This error does not appear if I point in that step not to the winpe.wim file, but instead to the ISO folder of the other (Windows 7 created folder), but of course that's not what we want, I just wanted to proof that it's not the missing installation.
I also tried a reinstallation of WAIK. I have the WAIK ISO not on DVD, but instead mounted it in Windows 8 and installed the wAIKAMD64.msi from there. Repair didn't help. I thought there might be a problem with x64-x86 difference (I'm on Windows 8-64), so I tried to uninstall wAIKAMD64.msi and install wAIKX86.msi, but that doesn't work (some error with not supported on this platform).
What is also missing in the description is how to transfer that to a bootable USB stick. Modern PCs don't have optical drives anymore. Should UNetBootin be used or something like that?

Attachment Size
129024-107272.png 9.24 KB
Forum Hero
Comments: 8747

Eric,
Are you using the latest build 6514 or the original build 5551? The new build is supposed to have fixed some problems with W8 and ADK.

Beginner

Colin B wrote:

Eric,
Are you using the latest build 6514 or the original build 5551? The new build is supposed to have fixed some problems with W8 and ADK.

Build 6514 on Windows 8-64 English.

Beginner

I have just purchased the latest Acronis TruImage home, with Plus Pack. both are build 16.0.0.6514

Can someone please tell me where I can find a complete set of instructions on how to create a WinPE rescue disk using Plus Pack for Windows 8 Pro 64bit.

I can find the article for Windows 7 but the AIK has changed for Windows 8 and is known as ADK. When I download the ADK it is a 5GB download. Do I need all the files in this download? And if not, which ones do I select?

Any help would be appreciated.

Legend
Comments: 11125

Try another very excellent product which is Mustang's PEBuilder. It provides even more options than the norma WinPE

http://forum.acronis.com/forum/17630

Beginner

I have loaded Win7 AIK and successfully burnt a rescue disk using the instructions as per the OP's tutorial on page 1 of this thread.

Then I downloaded and tried to install Win8 ADK, but it said the files were already installed.

So I opened Acronis WinPE ISO Builder.

But when I executed Step #5 of the tutorial and highlighted winpe.wim in the winpe_x86 folder, and then clicked next, I got the error message in the attached pic.

It tells me I need to have Acronis WinPE ISO Builder installed on a PC with WAIK installed, when both programs are installed and working.

Can anyone plese tell me what I'm doing wrong? Or offer any other suggestions? Thanks.

I had hoped to get an Acronis rescue disk with Win8 Pre-installation environment.

ps: I'm running the latest version of Acronis and Acronis Plus, being build 16.0.0.6514

Attachment Size
129100-107281.png 9.88 KB
Forum Member
Comments: 32

Hi, I have same problem:

WIN7 AIK (c:\Program Files) and WIN8 ADK (c:\Program files (x86) ) are installed on my PC running W8 PRO 64 bits.

Since the last update build 6514, I cannot create a WinPE 4.0 Acronis True Image 2013 Plus pack Bootable Rescue Disk with injection additional drivers (USB3 NEC/Renesas) in the WinPE image.

The error says: "To be able to modify WinPE 2.0 or WinPE 3.0 images, install Acronis WinPE ISO Builder on a computer where Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) is installed." and it doesn't jump to the next page.

I could create this WinPE 4.0 Bootable Rescue Disk with the original build 5551 without any problem.

Do you have a solution?

Thanks.

Beginner
Comments: 8

in step 5, part of the instruction: Point the "Acronis WinPE ISO Builder" to the folder "c:\winpe_x86" and
expand it to see the "winpe.wim" file. Click the "winpe.wim" file." is wrong.
correct one: "Point the "Acronis WinPE ISO Builder" to the folder "c:\winpe_x86\media"" are you are all set.
Dont try to build the WIM but rather ISO.

Beginner

p.s, don't understand why there is no mod or acronis QC people test all the procedures before published to public? IMO, this caused a waste of many customers time, and caused damage to customers' confidence over ATI.

PT
Beginner

Min Jia wrote:

and caused damage to customers' confidence over ATI.

You mean
and caused damage to customers' confidence over Acronis.
instead ?
Or why should an issue with a forum posting for an Acronis product damage customers' confidence over ATI ?

Beginner

Yes I mean confidence over the reliability of acronis.
I am not referring to the posting, I am referring to the attitude and the way acronis treat its customers. Also considering the apparent bug that the new build can not see GPT disks, which is gaining more popularity, especially on all new PCs shipped with windows 8. I don;t want to be a guinea pig to experimenting teh reliability of a data backup software, because the reliability of data backup software has to be good.
Now getting back to the posting. A sticky post on acronis's OFFICIAL FORUM (where ppl expect to find solutions quick and easy) is also supposedly error-free, otherwise, it's a wasting of customer;s time, and an indication that acronis does not really care its customers.
My point is,

PT wrote:
Min Jia wrote:

and caused damage to customers' confidence over ATI.

You mean
and caused damage to customers' confidence over Acronis.
instead ?
Or why should an issue with a forum posting for an Acronis product damage customers' confidence over ATI ?

Forum Member

Hi,

Pointing the "Acronis WinPE ISO Builder" to the folder "c:\winpe_x86\media" is Ok to build ISO file but you cannot add any additional drivers like USB3 drivers.

The problem is not solved.

Why the new build 6514 instead the previous 5551 has such problem?

Ps: sorry for my bad English...

Beginner
Comments: 5

It's a real nightmare: I'm trying since a couple of hours to make a bootable CD and then a bootable USB stick. I've just bought an USB DVD to be able to make an image of a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2, which has only UEFI Bios. The instauction are misleading and have the problem by clicking on the winpe.wim file instead of ISO directory. I don't know, even if I get it, but Acronis should more take care for newest hardware also...

Forum Star

Here's how to add custom drivers to a WinPE 4.0 image and create an ISO file using the Acronis WinPE ISO Builder in True Image 2013 Build 6514. These instructions will not work with Build 5551.

1. Make sure the Microsoft ADK is installed. You don't need to install the Microsoft WAIK. Then open the Microsoft Deployment and Imaging Tools Environment command window as Administrator and run:

copype x86 C:\winpe_x86

2. Mount the WinPE image by running:

dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:C:\winpe_x86\media\sources\boot.wim /Index:1 /MountDir:C:\winpe_x86\mount

3. Add drivers by putting a folder for each driver under C:\Drivers and running:

dism /Image:C:\winpe_x86\mount /Add-Driver /Driver:"C:\Drivers" /Recurse /ForceUnsigned

4. Unmount the WinPE image and save the changes by running:

dism /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:C:\winpe_x86\mount /Commit

5. Run the Acronis WinPE ISO Builder and point it to C:\winpe_x86\media. Then choose the default ISO option.

6. Copy AcronisMedia.iso out of C:\winpe_x86\media.

7. Delete C:\winpe_x86. 

Edited 4/10/2013 for additional information:

This only applies if you have GPT formatted hard drives that you want to backup from the WinPE media. Build 6514 has a bug and does not show GPT hard drives as a source for backup. As a temporary workaround follow these steps:

1. Get WinPE.zip from the Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\BartPE folder of build 5551. I did this by mounting an image made when True Image Home 2013 build 5551 was installed on the system.

2. Unzip the WinPE.zip file and get TrueImage.exe out of the BartPE\Files folder.

3. Replace TrueImage.exe in the Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\BartPE\Files folder with the version of TrueImageHome.exe you extracted in the step above.

4. Remake your WinPE media.

Remember that this is only a temporary fix until Acronis releases a fix for the GPT problem.

Forum Member

Hi, thanks for the new instructions but at the point 3, Add-Drivers is unknown.

See the file attachment.

How to fix it?

abbreizh

Attachment Size
129247-107308.jpg 65.04 KB
Forum Star

The command to add drivers is "/Add-Driver" without the "s".

Here is the corrected command line:

dism /Image:C:\winpe_x86\mount /Add-Driver /Driver:"C:\Drivers" /Recurse /ForceUnsigned

Thanks Paul, for the updated instructions for use with build 6514.

James

Forum Star

Thanks James,

I fixed the line in instruction 3.

Beginner

I know this is frustrating. I had the exact same problem, and I very much appreciate your finding a solution. My only comment is that the instructions you and I were following (those that were included in the TI update) were the same as the ones used with the older 5551 build. Those were put together by James F after a lot of work on his part. However, they did work with the older 5551 build with the Hotfix. I used them a month ago and I was able to build a good, usable WinPE 4.0 based Acronis True Image 2013 Rescue Media. However, I had problems with my new Windows 8 machine (who hasn't) and I had to go back to a previous image and lost my original WinPE files. That is why I had to try again.
I agree with what you said about Acronis not rechecking James F's tutorial, but I wanted to say that he had done a lot of work on building the tutorial for all those that needed help before this lastest TI update.
Again, thanks for your help in getting this fixed.
Alan

Beginner

I'm a newbie at adding drivers. What type of drivers would you be adding?

I created a successful rescue disk with ADK and when run the Acronis GUI opens all internal and external drives on my PC including internal SATA3 SSD storage HD; eSATA spinner in caddy; and external USB3 HD ... as well as the main OS SATA3 SSD HD.

It created a backup image of 58.1GB main HD in 3 minutes 43 seconds.

Am running Win8 Pro OEM 64bit from retail disk on Intel DX58SO2 mobo and Intel i7-960 CPU with 12GB RAM.

Do I need any other drivers?

Forum Star

The primary benefit of using the WinPE 4.0 (Windows 8 based) Acronis Rescue Media is that the built in hardware device driver support is greater than the standard Linux based Acronis Rescue Media (and additional drivers can be added, unlike in the standard Linux version of the Acronis True Image Rescue Media). Additional drivers would only need to be added to the WinPE 4.0 Rescue Media if the included drivers do not support your particular hardware. If you can successfully boot to the WinPE 4.0 Rescue Media and access all of the hardware devices (internal and external hard disks, primarily) required for you to use the True Image program to backup and restore successfully, then you do not need to be concerned with adding any "additional" drivers.

Additional drivers that are often added to WinPE based media can consist of Video, NIC/LAN, disk controllers, keyboard and mouse drivers, etc., but only if necessary for your system.

Beginner

Thank you very, very much James for your tutorial and for your response to my driver requested information.

The only reason I needed to create the WinPE 4.0 was because the native rescue disk created from Acronis v 16.0.0.6154 could create an image to my internal SATA3 SSD HD, but when I opened Windows, the image was not visible.

In reality it was still there, because when I re-ran the rescue disk it was visible as a backup image which I could restore. With the WinPE 4.0 rescue disk this issue has been resolved.

Cheers Bernie :-)

Forum Member

Thank you very much for the last instructions ("command to Add-Driver without the s").

I also created a successful and usable rescue disk with ADK and ATIH build 6514 incuding external USB drivers (NEC/RENESAS).

Abbreizh

Beginner
Comments: 5

Thanks a lot for James and Mustang for the instructions. Following Mustang's steps I made an USB stick (under Windows 8 x64), which let me boot my Asus VivoTab Smart into Acronis Build 6514.
But: At 'Backup' was the internal SSD of the tablet not visible. For 'Cloning' is it choosable as a source HDD. What should be the failure? Acronis backup wizard? Or any missing driver?

Forum Star

Laszlo Kapos wrote:

Thanks a lot for James and Mustang for the instructions. Following Mustang's steps I made an USB stick (under Windows 8 x64), which let me boot my Asus VivoTab Smart into Acronis Build 6514.
But: At 'Backup' was the internal SSD of the tablet not visible. For 'Cloning' is it choosable as a source HDD. What should be the failure? Acronis backup wizard? Or any missing driver?

The problem is that GPT formatted disks are not visible to select as a backup in Build 6514. This is a bug that Acronis is working on. They say a fix will be available soon. A workaround is to replace TrueImage.exe in the WinPE files folder with TrueImage.exe from build 5551. You can pull it out of a backup made when 5551 was installed.