Skip to main content

True Image 2014 17.0.0.6673 build not detecting USB 3.0 HDD, but Windows 7 64bit sees it and works! [ SOLVED ]

Forum Member
Comments: 29

Hi

I have a laptop with USB 3.0 Express Card which works fine with an external USB 3.0 Powered Hub [2.5A enough] .

In this particular case, an External USB3.0 Toshiba Drive is happily detected by Windows 7 64bit and I can browse it, write it, etc.

Upon running True Image 2014 6673 build, it tells me:

Unable to Continue
You have only one drive.
This program is designed to work with 2 or more drives.

Really? Is it windows stopping accessing it?
This drive has a cloned version of this laptop and I wonder if it is windows doing tis because it sees a NTFS windows system in it and protects it.

IF so, how do I release it from Windows claws?
;p]

Any ideas?

Thank you
M

Forum Member

[SOLVED]

Solved it 5 minutes after I posted!

I have not been playing with HDD for quite sometime and I had a 'genius' though!

I thought it was Windows blocking True Image after I found this old page:
https://kb.acronis.com/content/1515#super_floppy

So I checked if File Manager within True Image was working and showing the HDD and it was!
So, befor I did what the above page tells you to do, I went to Device Manager and checked this HDD and found it was set as:

Better Performance, i.e. Windows write cache enabled ... I might have done while I had problems with 'older' USB 3.0 Hub not working properly and forgot about it.

I set it to 'Quick Removal' and reboot.

Voila' - it works fine now that has been freed frm Windows Claws!

One useful info for anybody like me or 'worse' that did not know what to do.

Happy Cloning now and FASTEEEEEER !

Forum Hero
Comments: 7701
mvp

Thank you for posting your update and solution to the forum, this may help other users who come against the same or a similar problem.

Forum Member

Unfortunately in the evening I connected the HDD again to do the cloning and it did it again - even after set to 'Quick Removal' !

I am now at workand will try and do what is mentioned in the link above and I guess it should work, as I clearly understand what they mean.

In this case I have a Toshiba with the Samsung socket - yes one of those you 'cannot' remove hard drive as it is not a SATA internally!
I usually buy a SATA HDD  and use it with one of my USB 3.0 enclosures so, if needed [i.e. laptop HDD failure] I ca happily swap it with the one in hte enclosure and work until I receive new HDD and re-clone it.

Now I cannot do that because this Toshiba does not have sata connections!

Anyway, will try link and be back for results.

Rather annoying and time wasting.

Forum Member

I did use Diskpart and got to the point when it says:
Then go to Disk Management (Start-Run -> diskmgmt.msc) and initialize the problem disk

OK, all standard stuff.

Then how should I format the drive for 'best' Cloning detection?
Now it is MBR initialised and unullocated space.

True Image does not detect it now, I guess until is formatted or gave it a New Volume.

Forum Hero
mvp

If you are doing cloning, then this has to be done from outside of Windows if you are cloning an OS drive, so your drive needs to be visible to the Acronis Rescue Media, which in turn requires that this has the necessary device drivers to see the drive.

If you start a clone of an OS drive from within Windows, then it will force a reboot and attempt to boot into a Linux environment to launch the Acronis Clone action - this environment is the same as the standard Linux based Rescue Media.

If your drive is in effect an NVMe / M.2 / PCIe drive then I doubt that your ATIH 2014 has support for this type of drive as this was only provided with the latest build versions of ATIH 2016 and 2017 products.

Forum Member

Keeping you updated.

It seems Acronis does not see the unallocated disk, but Macrium Reflect does and I have to tell the truth [as MANY have stated] since Acronis update GUI/etc. from version 2010 - a lot o problems came out - mainly of detection!

I remember until 2014 I still used the 2009 to clone, then I had [somewhat] upgrade to 2014 as it was 'not' working anymore - maybe because of much larger HDDs? I do not know.

All I know I was forced to buy a newer vesrion.

Now I am having problems again and 'I forgot to mention' ONLY on USB 3.0, rather than USB 2 - the reason is I need it to be faster as I have over 1Tb to clone and Acronis only goes up to ~ 80Gb per hour if I remember well.

With USB 3.0 I guess about 4-5 times faster - depending on motheboard and memory type.

That is what I am trying to do and not been able yet.

Forum Member

later this afternoon, I will leave work with Macrium Reflect Free cloning to see what happens.

Macium detects it as it is and I would not be surprised it would have detected even before wasting time to make True Image detect and clone!

I am getting fed-up of Acronis again like in 2009/2010 !

Forum Hero
mvp

Sorry but your comparison of ATIH 2014 with Macrium Reflect is not valid as you are comparing a 3 year old product with one updated in 2017 and which use different technologies too.

I would expect Macrium Reflect to have full support for the latest modern disk drives for this reason alone, as does the current Acronis True Image products.

The choice is always going to be yours to decide which product to use with your computer system(s) but please be aware that Macrium Reflect Free is a limited product which does not allow you to perform the types of backups that your paid version of Acronis True Image offers, nor offers you the flexibility in terms of backup options etc.  But if it does offer you all that you need at this moment in time, then go for it.  If you want the full functionality that you had with ATIH, then you will also need to purchase the paid version of Macrium Reflect to get this.

Forum Member

Of course it does,as it must be out o 'any' operatice system claws!
;p]

I tried 4-5 different trial programs and ALL detects it easily.

Only True Image does not and it 'only happens' on USB 3.0 - not USB 2.0 I usually start it within Windows set what I need and clone it, then when ready True Image reboots in Linux and does the job in 10-12 hours!

Later in about 1h I will try and do the cloning with Macrium Reflect Free edition and see what happens - it does detect it fine within windows.

If it works, this might be the time I leave Acronis for good, as I only use it for cloning my drive - I use other programs for more in depth things.

Lets see what happens.

I am talking about detection here, not cloning - that part comes after.

Thank you for your input - appreciated.

;p]

Forum Hero
mvp

[quote]I tried 4-5 different trial programs and ALL detects it easily.

Only True Image does not and it 'only happens' on USB 3.0 - not USB 2.0 I usually start it within Windows set what I need and clone it, then when ready True Image reboots in Linux and does the job in 10-12 hours![/quote]

But did you try the latest Acronis True Image 2017 Trial product version which does detect 99% of all new disk drives/types?

Yes, the Acronis Rescue Media (including when starting from within Windows) uses a Linux Kernel environment and this may not have 100% support for all devices, but Acronis also offer the choice of build Windows PE Rescue Media which uses the latest Windows 10 ADK to complement the options for recovery etc.

Macrium Reflect only uses the Windows PE version of its Rescue Media but instead offers a choice of multiple different Windows ADK / AIK versions that the user can choose from to build that media, including the Windows 10 ADK.

Just for clarity here, I do not work for or get paid by Acronis, I use both Acronis and Macrium plus other competitive products according to what works best in any particular environment.  Each product has it own plusses and minuses (including Acronis) but the key difference is that Acronis do not offer a totally free product, except those provided by third parties such as Seagate, WD, PNY, Crucial etc bundled with a disk purchase where the OEM Acronis product is an older build / version and may be restricted to work only on specific manufacturers drives.

Forum Member

Hi
 I did not try 2017 version because 'every time since 2009 one thing or another had been happening and we were forced to buy newer version which I did not and kept working with the 2009 until 2014 [my current version] which works on USB 2 but not on USB 3 on same drive [done cloning last month on USB 2] and I 'only do' cloning with Acronis.

I use and being using other programs for other stuff for years.

My computer works well with Linux, as I do have a HDD with Linux installed - when needed!

I have not used Macrium because is free, but because it works.

As I mentioned, Acronis 'works' on USB 2.0 with 'the same drive' [mentioned it above] and now does not detects it on a USB 3.0 port!

So, Acronis is broken and I do not see why should I buy a newer vesrion only for cloning and 'only' because it does not detects a drive?
THey should provide FREE updating scripts for drive detection instead.

Also, Macrium cloned it in 3h 38m on Windows environment [no re-boot] and I only used about 2 clicks - it did not even waste 10-15 [like acronis do] before it even starts re-booting + cloning.

This does not mean I will leave Acronis, but in the meantime I will certainly use Macrium Free being used on a personal computer, rather than business.

So, my solution is try Macrium - it might work for you - after you tried all the above.

When I have the time I will try and 'make' True Image 2014 work.

Next time, I will try Macrium Fast Cloning - i.e. only copy the bits that chaned as in RAID configuration.
Just curious to see how it does.

Forum Member

Acronis?

Please supply a 'detection FREE fix' for all your versions since 2009 problems.

Thank you

Forum Hero
mvp

Sorry but your request is not going to happen by posting here in these user forums, and very unlikely to happen for products which have already reached their published End of Support dates.  

This is documented at: Acronis Support Lifecycle Policy for Consumer Products which shows that only the 2016 and 2017 products are still within an agreed support period.

This is no different that the support offered by very many other companies for their older / obsolete products.  Microsoft have dropped support for Windows XP and Vista even though they have many users out there still using these products.

Forum Member

But Windows support ended is 15 years after!

Also, we are paying for this product and the free one does the job.

To add more, suddenly Acronis Disk Director 11 too has stopped detecting HDDs and I thought, let's try Macrium and it did detect it.

I am speechless.

I understand sometime products become obsolete because there is too much work to do, in these cases they only have to supply the detection scripts!

This is not Windows that has millions of files and need a lot more work than Acronis, really.

Come on, I understand they need to make money [obviously] but we ALL started having problems since 2009-2010 and had to upgrade almost every year to gets 'basic' things done.

This exactly how Adobe is working these days and also added the monthly payment to get people hooked to renting - Capitalism at its worse - that is what it is.

Anyway, I will keep using Macrium Reflect for the time being and possibl;y purchase the Proifessional version as it is also much faster and works within Windows without re-boot!

I am realistic, there is a limit to ask for money all the time.

Worked until 6 weeks ago and stopped and now found out Director 11 too has stopped working!

I am always happy to pay for programs that are worth paying for and I often go for the small developer or even free one these days because you get MORE out of them and I am happy to donate very often, at least I know I am helping 'goodwilling' people.

I am waiting for the new generation of Windows [after WIN10] to see what happens as WIN10 still is a pass-through times like Vista [!], in fact from vista to WIN8.1 it was the same OS 6.0 to 6.3 when they got it right with W7 [in my view] - but certainly WIN10 is faster as new version 7.0 7.1 etc.

But Windows is a HUGE compilation of many programs/scripts/etc.

;p]

Forum Hero
mvp

Pincopallino, you are entitled to all of your views and I have sympathy with many of them.  I am just another user like yourself, not an Acronis employee so I have no particular flag to wave here for any side of the argument.

I have CD's for older versions of the Acronis Rescue Media which I still use occasionally, including Disk Director 11, but these are left-overs from many years ago - they still work in that offline mode when needed, but I use a range of different tools to suit the situation I am dealing with.

Every person should make their own choices here.  I also use Macrium Reflect for some situations, along with MiniTool Partition Wizard, Easeus Partition Manager etc.  I have systems with Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 10 and all work for their own environments, as does my system running Ubuntu Linux.  There is no one size fits all in this area of computing - so pick what works best for you and I will do the same for myself.