Skip to main content

Is True Image Home 2012 compatible with SSD caching?

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 1

To whom this may concern,

I would like to speed my system up and the OCZ SynapseCache SSD drive seems to be the perfect solution. However, is Acronis True Image 2012 fully compatible with SSD Caching technologies and am I still able to backup and restore my system drive after adding the OCZ SSD drive to my system?

Any information on the matter is appreciated.

Kind regards
Leo

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 9257

We have had several users asking about this, but I am not aware of any coming back with a confirmation one way or the other. In some cases, ATI was not able to backup the partition used for caching.

So the answer is: you will have to try.
To try:
- first, disable the caching mechanism if you can, and create a complete system backup (including all disks that might be benefiting from the caching when it is turned on); this backup will be used if your trial doesn't work,
- second, turn the caching on:
+ look at windows disk management to see the layout of your disks/partitions. Note any hidden partition, in particular any that could be used for the caching,
+ boot your computer on the recovery CD and verify it can see the layout just like Windows, if not, you can stop right there.
+ reboot and create a second backup including the SSD and whatever other disk(s) it is used for caching the information of at the same time, to ensure that the data consistency is preserved.
- third, use your computer, make some changes in all disks leveraging the caching mechanism,
- fourth, boot on the recovery CD and try to restore your computer. First by restoring only the non-cached disk, second, by restoring the cache alone. Everytime, try the computer to make sure data is restored as expected.

Beginner
Comments: 2

I've installed OCZ Synapse Cache SSD 64gb on my WIN 7 (64bit) system to improve performance on my
1-tb HDD and with fantastic results. (best thing since sliced bread)
Now backup to my E-SATA HDD is another story. The SSD uses Dataplex software to manage the caching of "hot" software while leaving the "cold" on the HDD which through magic speeds up everything.
In the process of doing this the SSB becomes invisible to the machine. It doesn't appear anywere including the Device Manager once connected to the software.
I have Acronis V 11 and can't figure how to direct it to a drive that is invisible.
This is one for the engineers to figure out as this application is going to spread like wildfire. Having the speed of a SSD with the capacity of a HDD for less than $50.00 with rebate.

Forum Star
Comments: 1940

As I understand the problem may occur in a typical scenario where you create backups from windows with ssd cache activated and then boot from the bootable media (or initiate restore with reboot) and restore the backup. Bootable media knows nothing about SSD, and restores old content directly to HDD, then you end up with cache on SSD inconsistent with HDD content. So you need to deactivate the cache before the restore - but if can't be toggled in BIOS, the restored system will 'know' that the cache is active and fail at boot. May be the solution will be to unplug the SSD before restore and the caching software is smart enough to deactivate caching if SSD is unavailable.

Beginner
Comments: 2

Long term, maybe, when restoring data. My primary concern is how to maintain continuous backup so I would have relatively accurate data on the HDD to restore, should the occasion arise, which is the primary purpose of the Acronis software on my machine.