cannot restore all partitions to smaller HDD
I tried Acronis True Image 2016 for MAC and made a backup of entire HDD together with the boot camp partition
After that I booted with USB Acronis Restore and pressed to restore to a new HDD which is smaller than the original HDD
I cannot restore all partitions, I cannot change the size of the partitions, so I must choose only mac partition or boot camp to restore
thank you in advance
Unfortunately, Acronis for Macintosh is a disk level backup only so if the new drive is smaller than the original, I don't think you're going to be in luck since you have multiple paritions (Mac and bootcamp). The other issue is that it says you cannot shrink bootcamp partions - they must remain the same size during recovery. I have not tried though, so may be wrong.
- How do I back up my Boot Camp partition?
Back up the hard drive where Boot Camp is installed. The backup will contain all the data stored on the drive, including the Boot Camp partition.
- Can I back up my Boot Camp partition separately?
No, you can't. Acronis True Image 2016 allows you to create disk-level backups only. Back up the hard drive that contains the Boot Camp partition, instead.
- How do I recover my Boot Camp partition?
You can do this in the bootable media environment. At the recovery source and destination selection step, select all the listed partitions. This will recover the entire hard drive. To recover the Boot Camp partition only, select the check box next to this partition, and then clear all other check boxes.
- Can I resize my Boot Camp partition before recovery?
No, you can't. The Boot Camp partition remains the same size as it is in the backup.
- What recovery destinations can I select for a Boot Camp partition?
We strongly recommend that you recover your Boot Camp partition to itself, though you can select any recovery destination.
- Can I recover specific files from the backed up Boot Camp partition?
Yes, you can recover them without limitations, the same way that you would recover any other files.
- I want to replace my hard drive with a new one. Can I clone OS X, the Boot Camp partition, and all of my data to the new hard drive?
Yes, you can. Do the following:
- Back up your hard drive to an external storage media, such as Acronis Cloud, USB drive, or a network share.
- Turn off your Mac, and then replace your old hard drive with a new one.
- Boot your Mac by using Acronis bootable rescue media.
- Recover your Mac from the backup to the new hard drive.