Skip to main content

macOS true image 2017

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 8

Hi,

I have use Acronis 2017 for a while and am very happy with the product in features, reliability and support for Windows. Now I have a friend who is using MacOS and I wanted to find out how good is on MacOS and big issues. Am I safe to recommend it on MacOS as well.

Any thing the Mac version lacks?

Thanks

Ward

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 7990

Hi Ward,

For most Mac users, Time Machine is sufficient.  However, if using Bootcamp or any virtualization software (Parallels or VMWare Fusion), Acronis has an advantage as it can backup an entire disk which will grab the bootcamp parition.  When it comes to the virtual software, it just backs up the changed portions so it saves a ton of space.  Time Machine will backup your VM, but it treats it like a new file each time so this can be quite large each backup so Kudos to Acronis for only backing up the changes within the VM as deltas.

The downside with the Mac version (at least when I was using it for testing a few months back) was that you can only recover from the offline recovery medida and not directly from within OS X, so that's kind of a bummer.  It looks like this may be fixed (at least for file/folder recovery) in 2017 though... http://www.acronis.com/en-us/support/documentation/ATIMAC2017/#28337.html

There's not much risk really.  He can grab a 30 day trial to test it out.  If he does buy it, he also has 30 days for a no questions asked refund.  I would take a time machine backup "as is" and then have him grab the trial and take it for a spin after that.  

Beginner
Comments: 8

Hi Bobbo_3CX01,

Great response thank you. Did you get to test the cloud backup feature? Any thoughts on that?

Thanks

Ward

Forum Hero
Comments: 7990

Hi Ward,

I never tested it with a Mac.  I use it on Windows and it's useful, but I don't rely on it.  I have 100Mbps down and 10Mbps up with Comcast.  I find that I get about 5-6Mbps upload to the Cloud so it's fairly slow so is not ideal for a primary backup/recovery (for me).  Instead, I backup to a local disk and then again to a NAS at the house so that I have an immediate/quick backup option and a secondary/fast option.  BUT... I do use Acronis Cloud as a third/offisite solution in case my house catches on fire, theft, etc.  I have restored from Acronis Cloud and it's a little faster than upload, but not by much (for me) so not something I want to rely on as a first option, but glad it's there as my failsafe.  I have tested barebones recovery from the cloud on some VM's and it's been a bit of a mixed bag.  A few tests have gone off without a hitch, but on the same VM with the same recovery file from the cloud, it was not bootable.  I could repair it using Windows recovery disk and BCD commands, but can't understand why the inconsitency since it was the same backup recovery being accomplished. 

So... do I like the Acronis Cloud - yes, for file/folder backup/recovery, seems pretty solid, but I'm not sold on full system recovery from the cloud.  Would I rely on it as my first and/or only backup option - No. However, that goes for any cloud backup solution... I try to follow the backup rule of 3-2-1 as that provides speed, different recovery options and different recovery locations.