Video: Create Differentials with Full Backup Once a Week with Cleanup
Here's a video of how I create a full backup once a week followed by two differentials during the week, allowing for cleanup by Acronis:
Activity as follows:
1) Click Disk and Partition Backup.
2) Switch to disk mode. Be sure drive to back up is selected.
3) Select a storage destination. In this case, it's an external USB hard drive.
4) Choose a file name that makes sense to you. Otherwise it is named after hard drive name.
5) Set up a schedule. In this case, I choose Weekly on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
6) Pick a time. I like to run in the middle of the night.
7) I look at the advanced settings, but decide not to change anything.
8) Under scheme I set it to Custom Scheme, and choose Differential method.
9) Set "Create a full version after every ... differential versions" to 2.
10) Click on "Turn on automatic cleanup" link.
11) Set this to "Store no more than 3 recent version chains."
12) On Advanced tab, I set a password and encryption so that if I decide to take the hard drive anywhere it will be OK if it's lost or stolen.
13) I set it to validate once a month at a time in the early morning.
14) I set a notification to let me know if the hard drive is running out of space.
15) Normally I'd set up email notifications as well, but don't do it in this video.
16) On the exclusions tab, I set it to exclude *.iso files. If you know of some large files you typically don't need to back up, add them to the exclusion list to save room.
17) Change "Back up now" to "Later."
18) Mark it as favorite so you can see it easily later.