Aller au contenu principal

Acronis TI 2017 - Image Restore failure - MVP ATI PE builder

Thread solved
Beginner
Contributions: 3
Commentaires: 10

I think the recent upgrade to Windows 10 version 2004 has broken some software. As a result, I am trying to restore my 08-02-2020 Acronis image onto my Windows 10 Dell XPS 8930. This has a UEFI BIOS with Secure boot - which I know nothing about.

When I start Acronis 2017 inside of Windows, the restore does NOT work. After restarting, Acronis loads OK. Later, the screen shows it is "Preparing". After several minutes, the system boots back into Windows. The prior backup image was NOT restored. I am pretty sure that Acronis does not recognize my Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD.

Next, I burned a boot CD using the standard Acronis 2017 ISO file. I had to use F12 to change the boot menu so that I could run the software from the boot CD.

Acronis does see the smaller SSD that came with my Dell XPS 8930. It does not recognize my Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD. Too bad, since that is where Windows 10 is installed, and also where all of the Acronis backup images are located.

I tried running the latest MVP Acronis WinPE Media Builder (v 18.6) to inject the necessary SSD drivers for the 970 EVO Plus. But I can't boot from that WinPE disk. It simply does not appear as an option at boot time. I had the same result with USB media.

I also tried using the Acronis Media Creation tool to create the "standard" Acronis WinPE. That CD also does not appear as an option at boot time.

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Contributions: 102
Commentaires: 22824

Rick, some questions to ask first:

Is your Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD a NVMe M.2 card type SSD?

Are you creating the Acronis Rescue Media on the same Windows 10 system?

Do you have the Windows 10 ADK and PE files installed to create WinPE media using the ATI 2017 Acronis Rescue Media Builder tool?

What options are you taking when using the MVP Custom PE Builder script to create the WinPE media?

ATI 2017 does not support the new Acronis media builder option to create 'Simple' WinPE media that uses the PE files from the Windows 10 Recovery Environment, so this requires the ADK & PE Kit components to be installed if using this method.

The MVP Custom PE Builder can use the Win 10 Recovery Environment files but if your EVO SSD is also using RAID mode, then you need to also inject the Custom drivers which will inject the Intel RST drivers for RAID support.

I have a Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD in my laptop and have no issues with using the MVP WinPE media created using the Win 10 RE files and custom drivers, but this has to be booted using UEFI BIOS boot mode.

Beginner

Is your Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD a NVMe M.2 card type SSD?
YES

Are you creating the Acronis Rescue Media on the same Windows 10 system?
YES

Do you have the Windows 10 ADK and PE files installed to create WinPE media using the ATI 2017 Acronis Rescue Media Builder tool?
I think Acronis downloaded and installed the necessary files when I ran the Bootable Media Builder (x64). 
I  did not run the "Bootable Rescue Media Builder". I have Start menu entries for both items, and was unsure of the difference.

What options are you taking when using the MVP Custom PE Builder script to create the WinPE media?
I tried to choose as few options as possible, just added the SSD driver.

ATI 2017 does not support the new Acronis media builder option to create 'Simple' WinPE media that uses the PE files from the Windows 10 Recovery Environment, so this requires the ADK & PE Kit components to be installed if using this method.
I think Acronis downloaded and installed the necessary files when I ran the Bootable Media Builder (x64).

The MVP Custom PE Builder can use the Win 10 Recovery Environment files but if your EVO SSD is also using RAID mode, then you need to also inject the Custom drivers which will inject the Intel RST drivers for RAID support.
I don't know the name of that driver file. I thought the RAID stuff was included by default?!

Legend

Rick, the Acronis builder doesn't download anything other than its own application files from the Acronis site when needed, i.e. Universal Restore installer.  It has never downloaded the ADK files.

I would recommend staying with the MVP Custom PE builder tool and doing the following:

1. Run the MVP_ATIPEBuilder186.exe as Administrator.
  2. Select option 2. Build from WinRE
  3. Select option 1. Build Customized 64-bit WinPE Rescue Media
  4. Select option 2. No to map a network share.
  5. Select option 1. Yes to inject CUSTOM drivers for IRST for RAID and NVMe
  6. Press any key when prompted.
  7. Select option 2. Remove the prompt and boot straight to disc (CD/DVD only).
  8. Answer Y if asked about overwriting existing ISO file.
  9. Answer Y if asked about overwriting existing WIM file
  10. Select option 1. Yes to create a bootable USB flash drive
  11. Enter the drive letter for the USB flash drive.
  12. Complete the remaining prompts as needed.
Beginner

Thank you - finally had success!

This time, I was able to boot from the disc. I had to use a DVD-R, since the ISO file was about 865 MB in size.

Strangely, creating the USB version failed this time. The error message was "The system cannot find the file specified". There were no hints in the LOG file either.

I think I placed the driver files in the wrong location when I used the MVP tool last week. Still not sure why it would not even boot from that CD ...

Legend

Rick, glad that you have got a working rescue disc and this is booting for you.