Aller au contenu principal

Acronis DriveCleanser hangs with seconds to go....

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Contributions: 1
Commentaires: 0

I am using DriveCleanser included with Acronis True Image 2019.   I have attempted to wipe a 3TB HDD twice.  Both times the process froze with seconds to go till completion of operation 1 of 2.   I have tried running DriveCleanser from Windows 10 to wipe, froze and did not complete.   I created an Acronis Rescue Media USB and booted from that device.  I then launched DriverCleanser and got the same result - froze and did not complete.  I have included a picture of the screen showing the freeze.

Fichier attaché Taille
DriveCleanser (6).jpg 2.92 Mo
0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Contributions: 102
Commentaires: 22824

Brian, welcome to these public User Forums.

The estimated time to completion shown in Drive Cleanser (and other Acronis products) has always been more of a suggestion than an accurate reflection of how long the tool may take.

Any cleaning process that includes multiple passes with different types of encoding / encryption is going to take a long time.

Are you intending to sell on the 3TB HDD drive or is this just an exercise to try this operation?

I have to confess that I do not use Drive Cleanser and haven't had any need for that type of forensic cleaning of any drives.

My own approach has been to boot from a live Linux DVD or USB stick and reformat the drive using the Gpartd partition tool in Linux, repeating the format using different Linux filesystems then install a small vanilla Linux distro to leave on the drive (in case of need to demonstrate that it is still bootable).

The alternative approach if a drive is being 'binned' is to use a ball-pein hammer to render the drive unusable for anything other than scrap metal or a door-stop!

Forum Star
Contributions: 180
Commentaires: 3952

Steve Smith wrote:

The alternative approach if a drive is being 'binned' is to use a ball-pein hammer to render the drive unusable for anything other than scrap metal or a door-stop!

This is my preferred solution. When it comes to HDDs/SSDs I am only dispose of them when they become so antiquated that they are useless to me or anyone else. I still have some old IDE HDDs and a couple of first generation SATA HDDS.

Ian