Aller au contenu principal

Can't back-up, Error 0xb042f: Destination is unavailable.

Thread needs solution
Regular Poster
Contributions: 38
Commentaires: 277

This happened 2 times.

First time when I went to check the M: drive it was not 'connected'? USB drive, and I disconnected the cable, and it didn't return? Disconnected the power and when I plugged it back in, it came back. Started the back-up again, but it failed with the same error.

First time it wrote 190GB's to the drive, this time 201GB's?

This 2nd time the drive always was 'there', able to access it after the fail.

Also ran CHKDSK /F on ALL drives with no errors?

Ran SFC /SCANNOW and used DISM to SCANHEALTH with NO problems found?

When I restarted the backup I did NOT delete the partial failed file and it started to use the same name.

Log entry:

======================

2021-01-20T23:14:55:008-05:00 16224 E000B042F: Error 0xb042f: Destination is unavailable.
| trace level: error
| line: 0x5d5406763c32a94
| file: c:\bs_hudson\workspace\123\products\imager\archive\impl\operations\utils.cpp:582
| function: TrueImage::Archive::MakeDestinationUnavailableError
| line: 0x5d5406763c32a94, c:\bs_hudson\workspace\123\products\imager\archive\impl\operations\utils.cpp:582, TrueImage::Archive::MakeDestinationUnavailableError
| Path: M:\Acronis Backup\All_Drives\
| StrId: \local\hd_ev\vol_guid(F43039904D315EA7B59CAA8B53A01D31)
| $module: ti_demon_vs_25700
|
| error 0x2160015: A backup error.
| line: 0xa340ffd3416335cf
| file: c:\jenkins_agent\workspace\mod-disk-backup\650\product\core\da_api\backup.cpp:353
| function: da_backup::Commit
| line: 0xa340ffd3416335cf, c:\jenkins_agent\workspace\mod-disk-backup\650\product\core\da_api\backup.cpp:353, da_backup::Commit
| $module: disk_backup_vs_650
|
| error 0x29b138d: Input/output error
| line: 0x30ba355f9fd4ffbd
| file: c:\jenkins_agent\workspace\mod-disk-backup\650\product\core\resizer\archive3\utils.cpp:364
| function: `anonymous-namespace'::ArchiveWriterImpl::CoroutineFunc
| line: 0x30ba355f9fd4ffbd, c:\jenkins_agent\workspace\mod-disk-backup\650\product\core\resizer\archive3\utils.cpp:364, `anonymous-namespace'::ArchiveWriterImpl::CoroutineFunc
| function: archive_stream_write_shbuf
| path: \\?\M:\Acronis Backup\All_Drives\/LARAINE-C, D, and E.tibx
|
| error 0xfff0: The device is not ready.
|
| line: 0x30ba355f9fd4ffbd
| file: c:\jenkins_agent\workspace\mod-disk-backup\650\product\core\resizer\archive3\utils.cpp:364
| function: `anonymous-namespace'::ArchiveWriterImpl::CoroutineFunc
| line: 0x30ba355f9fd4ffbd, c:\jenkins_agent\workspace\mod-disk-backup\650\product\core\resizer\archive3\utils.cpp:364, `anonymous-namespace'::ArchiveWriterImpl::CoroutineFunc
| function: pcs_co_file_readv
| path: \\?\M:\Acronis Backup\All_Drives\LARAINE-C, D, and E-0064.tibx
| code: 0x80070015
2021-01-20T23:14:55:095-05:00 16224 E013C0005: Error 0x13c0005: Operation has completed with errors.
| trace level: error
| line: 0x9f2c53c72e8bced8
| file: c:\bs_hudson\workspace\123\products\imager\demon\main.cpp:738
| function: main
| line: 0x9f2c53c72e8bced8, c:\bs_hudson\workspace\123\products\imager\demon\main.cpp:738, main
| $module: ti_demon_vs_25700

============================

Dir of the back-up folder:

==========
M:\Acronis Backup\All_Drives>dir
 Volume in drive M is My Book
 Volume Serial Number is 3476-64FD

Directory of M:\Acronis Backup\All_Drives

01/20/2021  10:00 AM    <DIR>          .
01/20/2021  10:00 AM    <DIR>          ..
12/24/2020  01:03 AM   586,436,857,856 LARAINE-C, D, and E-0060.tibx
12/31/2020  05:30 AM   590,278,176,768 LARAINE-C, D, and E-0061.tibx
01/07/2021  01:57 AM   589,829,255,168 LARAINE-C, D, and E-0062.tibx
01/14/2021  01:41 AM   588,181,671,936 LARAINE-C, D, and E-0063.tibx
01/20/2021  11:13 PM   205,986,201,600 LARAINE-C, D, and E-0064.tibx
10/23/2019  02:01 PM            12,288 LARAINE-C, D, and E.tibx
               6 File(s) 2,560,712,175,616 bytes
               2 Dir(s)  1,044,912,332,800 bytes free

===========

Suggestions? Should I delete the failed back-up before trying again?

0 Users found this helpful
Regular Poster

I opened Acronis but I get the RED X? Drive is AVAILABLE.

Last time I did this with the FIRST fail, I was able to restart the back-up with no problem after it wrote 190GB's, but the drive was really disconnected?

This is what I see now:

I can't do anything with Acronis as it sort of 'hangs' until it puts up the dialog box. Didn't do that the last time when I just re-enabled the USB drive and was able to restart?

Legend
Contributions: 110
Commentaires: 28540

Irv, one of the concerns over using drive letter M: with any version of ATI that includes the option for doing Mobile Backups is that Acronis automatically use the same drive letter M: for their Acronis Drive used by Mobile Backup!

I would suggest using Windows Disk Management to allocate a different drive letter, i.e. N: to your backup drive, then reselect the Destination for your backup task using the new letter to see if this makes any difference?

One thing I noticed a short time ago when doing some testing on other issues, is that Acronis will allow a mobile backup to run simultaneously with a regular backup, such that there were 2 system tray icons both showing progress of the 2 backup tasks!  This could cause problems if both tasks were trying to both use the same drive M:  !!

Regular Poster

Steve, seems I hit a 'snag'? Change the drive letter and tried to add the old backups, no go:

Need advice? Start over fresh and save the old backups somewhere else (I have some space and probably only need the oldest one or two...

Never had a problem before with this M: drive letter and never used the mobile backup?

Legend

Irv, there shouldn't be any need to add any existing backups after changing the drive letter, just click on the Destination for the backup task and reselect the backup storage location on the new drive letter.

Regular Poster

Steve,

I didn't try that, but I took a different path.

I ran the WD Utility to check the drive. It failed all but the SMART test... so I took it to my PC.

It failed as well... and I was leaving the cables and power supplies on each PC. Check my Drive Utilities and discovered I had an older version, an 8/2020 was available and installed it on my PC with her drive:

As you can see, it might be a DRIVE problem. Matter of fact, when I closed the old version and first ran the new version it couldn't find the drive? However once I opened File Explorer it did reconnect and I could run the utility and as you can see, it can see the drive.

Much to my amazement, my same model drive on her PC is now working. Too soon to say for sure, as only 110Gb's, not hit the ~200Gb's the other drive failed at, but it is also MUCH faster in time. Before, her drive took about 12 - 14 hr's to create a backup. It started showing time as around a day + and slowly decreased when writing. Now, with 110Gb's written it is showing ~4 hours to go. MUCH faster.

Another reason to think it was a drive problem, the USB port used is shared with another port, and she had a problem with a device on that port starting last week. Also, today, thinking it was a PC USB port problem I moved the drive to a new USB 3.0 only card I put in her PC. It has 3 ports and one was used by a network USB adapter. Once I plugged the drive in, the network adapter stopped working!!!

So, that is when I tested the drive on her PC, and saw the same fails I posted above. Swapped drives, and it seems my drive on her PC is working (will know if the backup completes in a few hours).

We checked our records and the WDC site. We got that drive in late 2019... and I know why. Her old drive BROKE... when I dropped it and it was replaced under warranty.

What I suspect is I might have gotten a refurbished unit even, and, because of what I think is a speed write difference, it might have a USB 3.0 problem internally? I think at one time I might have posted here that my backups, although only 1/2 the size of hers normally take 1/4 of the time. This might explain that even?

We did buy another WD 4Tb drive today. I've not even opened the box in case I discover the problem is on her PC so I could return it, but right now, I strongly suspect the drive.

I'm not even going to bother and find programs (I probably have one) that can test the drive (CHKDSK /F found no problems?) fully, it isn't worth it. I can ERASE all data (I hope) and RMA it and use the NEW one we bought and have a backup that way.

Once I know the REAL Answer, I'll post back.

Legend

Irv, the WD Data Lifeguard utility should tell you if the drive is going bad, which it sounds most likely is the case from your comments above.

Regular Poster

Steve Smith wrote:

Irv, the WD Data Lifeguard utility should tell you if the drive is going bad, which it sounds most likely is the case from your comments above.

Steve, no, not for the My Book's. Use the Drive Utilities. However I did d/l them and tried:

Drive I'm pretty sure has problems. It even 'comes and goes connected' on my PC as well.

Also, in less than 5 hours the backup of a 520Gb backup file finished and seems OK on my wife's PC.

That is less than 1/2 the time it took to do the same backup with the drive that is giving us problems now.

Still 2 years to go on the Warranty, back it goes. Hope I can ERASE it though...

Regular Poster

Steve Smith wrote:

Steve, 100% sure the drive is bad now. Put my WD drive back on my PC and ran the Data Lifeguard Quick Test. Passed:

It passed, not like the other drive which failed immediately. This one took almost 3 minutes.

Back the drive goes!

Thanks.

Regular Poster

Steve Smith wrote:

Steve, I sent the drive back, and they just got it today...

In the mean time I bought the same drive for my wife so she'd not miss a back-up. New drive, it took 6 hours, old drive up to 13 hours. Suspect the USB 3.0 internal chips had a problem or there was errors and retries.

Now the new drive seems to be taking longer (full backup creating a 550+/- file every time) by 2 or 3 hours?

Oh, and I *absolutely* hate WD and probably bought my last drive from them.

I go to register the new drive. Needed to scan my purchase receipt and upload it. Did that. Next day, checked to see if my RMA'ed drive was still in process and noticed the NEW DRIVE had 76 days left on the Warranty!!! What???

So I open an 'incident' on the web site and asked WHY my drive had less than 80 days... surely something was wrong, no? Supposed to be 3 years.

Well, the answers I got were absurd!!

==============

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. Upon checking the serial number that you have provided (WCC7xxxxxxx), it shows that the warranty will be expired on 13-MAR-2021.
We use the drive’s manufacture date to set the warranty expiration date. When the drive is purchased, you can send us a scanned copy of the receipt as a JPG or GIF file attachment. Please make sure that the proof of purchase is an attachment and is 500KB or less.

Kindly take note of the following to deem the proof of purchase valid:
1. STORE SALES RECEIPT
- Includes the name, address and phone # of the company selling the product
- Date of purchase
- Description of the Western Digital drive with price, model/serial number
- Amount paid
- Method of payment
==================

I did UPLOAD it with the registration, seems they didn't get it or look at it?

Note that the drive was purchased on 1/21/21, and how it got set at 3/13/21 was beyond me. So I went back, uploaded the receipt again and ask that it be corrected. I expected a problem though as there was NO Serial number on it?

=====================

Thank you for contacting Western Digital.  We apologize for the inconvenience but based on the serial number you provided, our records indicate the Build Date of your drive was [19-JAN-2018] and your Purchase Date was [21-JAN-2021]. Due to the large gap in time, additional verification (e.g., written confirmation from your place of purchase that the product was sold to you as new) is needed to validate your warranty service request.  
SERIAL NUMBER: WCC7xxxxxxxx
Please note, pursuant to Western Digital’s Limited Warranty Policy (https://support.wdc.com/warranty/warrantypolicy.aspx), Western Digital has no liability with respect to products that are not sold to you as new.   
If Western Digital cannot verify that the drive was sold to you as new (based on the additional documentation you provide), we will recommend that you contact your place of purchase for warranty service. 
If you have any further questions, please let us know and we will be happy to assist you.
===============

So now they were basically telling my I bought a USED drive, but they did put a small warranty period on it (yet the above says no warranty on used drives)

So I go back to the point of purchase. Spoke to the store manager and said she could NOT verify I got the specific S/N from them. They do NOT track those, nor do they put any labels on boxes that are locked up and you purchase by picking up the empty box (we bought it on-line and it was brought out and bagged for us to pick up). She did say some vendors are no able to produce more due to COVID-19 and they have been getting 'old' stock from some (boxes were different) but this request she had never even heard of before. She did give us a letter saying we bought a NEW WD 4TB drive from them. Luckily that satisfied them and we now have the full 3 years.

Last drive I'll buy from them. It was our 4th 4TB, and 2 have been RMA'ed. Other older WD's worked fine, but I suspect WD is having some problems.