Salta al contenuto principale

"File not found" - Backup stalls or fails with "canceled by user"

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Commenti: 1

I run an incremental backup every night while I'm away from my computer. Periodically, and sometimes over consecutive days, I get a "Backup canceled by user" error message. And after digging, find that Acronis says it "can't find file, waiting for user action." It never says what file it can't find -- and my backup is set to backup entire folders or partitions; there are no individual files selected.

Isn't there a way to set the program to just ignore the missing file and continue automatically?

If not, this is a serious flaw.

The other aspect of it is that the error occurs sometimes when there are no changes on the computer; for example, yesterday, I worked from a different office and was away from the PC overnight. It was not even used during the day.

The PC is free of viruses, malware, and no one else uses it.

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Commenti: 11125

This error would normally be indicating it cannot find a specific tib file or storage folder.

The cause could be tha the storage drive letter has changed, or the storage target is sleeping or not attached, or a storage network drive may have timed out and sleeping, etc.

Regular Poster
Commenti: 156

Unfortunately, the original poster didn't specify whether he is backing up to a local device, the cloud, or what.

One thing that can cause this problem is an open file. For me, the usual suspects are Excel and Outlook. My local (i.e., to a USB disk) have never had this problem, but the cloud backup did exactly what Eric described. It appears, however, that the latest update might have fixed that.

There was also that problem with the way the cloud backup was scanning the folder structure; but that, too, seems to have been fixed.

Beginner
Commenti: 6

I experience this every few days as well. I'm also backing up to an external USB hard drive with a nightly incremental backup of full partitions and hard drives.

What I notice is that I turn on my monitor in the morning and I see a notification in the lower right corner saying The Specified File Does Not Exist and it says something like it will continue if no user input occurs in 10 minutes. When I click the notification, it just opens Acronis True Image and shows the backup still "Backing up..." but hung at 0% several hours later. I clicked "Cancel" then checked my settings, and it seems like my advanced cleanup settings reset. I set them again, then clicked Start, where I got a popup within Acronis that said The Specified File Does Not Exist. I clicked Try Again, and the program crashed.

This is pretty ridiculous for an expensive backup software. Are there any fix suggestions people have?

Legend

This groupings of link may help.
http://forum.acronis.com/forum/75086

Changing the specifications of a task will cause more grief than fixes. If changes needed, start over with a new task that includes a new name and new storage folder.

One frequent cause of grief is the usb gets attached as a differendt drive letter which will cause task to fail.

Are you sure the usb disk is awake and responding to commands? Often time, the usb device is in sleep mode and not available.

Beginner

I have Windows set to never turn off hard drives and it has kept the same drive letter. It always seems to have an error at the beginning of the backup (progress 0%) and has never errored partway through a backup, which tells me that the drive doesn't seem to be chronically disconnecting. Additionally, I can access the drive no problem when it is giving the error.

I actually have the settings set similar to GH12 in the link you provided.

When it errors like this, the only solution I have is to delete the backup and create a new one since every time I try to Start the backup it just hangs at 0%.

Regular Poster

As I mentioned before, trying to back up a file while it is open in another program caused this problem for me.

However, since I last posted the problem went away. My guess is that one of the software updates fixed this particular problem.

I realize that isn't much help for you.

Legend

If the target happens to be a WD Passport, the software associated with that drive does have sleep settings which can be adjusted. Regret I am unable to help you more.

Beginner

Jerry, unfortunately, I notice it always hanging at 0% so it seems to be having issues before it even starts to read the files to back up.
GroverH, I am using a Seagate Backup Plus drive.

Regular Poster

Peter R. wrote:

Jerry, unfortunately, I notice it always hanging at 0% so it seems to be having issues before it even starts to read the files to back up.

I'm not sure you are correct. Have you looked at the logs? I don't remember for certain, but I think that the progress stays at 0% until TI has checked all of the files that will be included in the backup, and the progress percent only starts moving when the files are actually being backed up.

Beginner

I'm not sure where the logs are, but you may be right. I would still consider it an issue, however, if the software hangs/crashes when a file is in use and it tries to back up. Especially since this results in me having to delete the backup and start over again every few days.

Regular Poster

I have success/failure reports emailed to myself, and there is an option to have the log put into the message. It doesn't list every file, but it will tell you where an error occurred.

Beginner

Alright I just set up notifications. We'll see what it says over the next few days.

Beginner
Commenti: 12

Same error message backing up to a NAS drive dedicated to Acronis.  Drive never goes into sleep mode.  I did delete the backup file as suggested and restarted.  Now proceeding normally.  

So, this begs the question, is the solution just to delete a stored backup before starting a new?  That has got to be the stupidest "solution."  If there is a file missing then the error message should give pathway and file name.

Forum Star
Commenti: 2733

You could try backing up to a subdirectory - separate subdirectory for each task. Having them in separate subdirectories makes it easier to manage the backups as well. I use descriptive names for the directory.