Salta al contenuto principale

Cannot create WinPE media

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Commenti: 4

Hello,

Trying to create WinPE rescue media with Acronis TI 2016 on Windows 10 Pro, but the media builder keeps telling me that I need to download Windows AIK or ADK.  I followed the download link, downloaded and installed it, but the message persists.  Not exactly sure what it's looking for.

Regards,

Tim

0 Users found this helpful
Beginner
Commenti: 2

I have exactly the same problem.

The ADK Package is installed correctly but Rescue Medai Builder does not see it at all...

So sad

Regards,

Frank

Beginner
Commenti: 3

I have the exact same problem.  Here is the message that I posted yesterday. --

I'm currently running True Image 2016 (5634) Trial Edition.  I'm trying to create a WinPE based restore usb drive.  I can not install the True Image 2016 Add-On to be able to create the Acronis.wim file.  It says that I have to active the software.

I suspect that this feature is not available on the Trial Edition.  Can someone help me with the creation of the .wim file.  Or is it possible for someone to email the acronis.wim file to me.  I'm running an Intel i7 with a 256G SSD.

Due to my situation, I prefer not disable BitLocker.  I would like to keep Secure Boot enabled, this can supposedly be done with a WinPE based boot disk.  This is due to the security issues associated with my data and profession.  Trying to get a boot disk that I can use the Type Cover (keyboard / mouse).  I do not always have access to a USB Hub, keyboard, mouse, etc.

I want to make sure that the software will work properly before I purchase it.  Help with the machine configuration / restore procedure would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Wallace

Beginner

I have the same problem with TI 2016 full. Have chatted with Acronis twice now with no success. I have installed their Media Builder and ADK but I simply get the attached screen. Tried reinstalling ADK using the link provided by Acronis and reinstalled TI2016. Their link to https://jkb.acronis.com/ati2015/winpe shows screens that I don't get to, only the one that says I have to download ADK!!!

Beginner
Commenti: 2

i think they have a bug in the Rescue Media Builder so it didn´t recognize the path to ADK. The support is very bad for such problems

Beginner

I agree.  I don't see a lot on answers in this forum, just lots of empathy.

Forum Star
Commenti: 1965

This issue may be caused by installing TI over the top of an existing previous version of TI. It should solve by uninstalling both TI and the Media add-on follwed by reinstalling both.

Beginner

The system had TI 2013 in Windows 8.1 when it was upgraded to Windows 10.  Both the 2013 application and uninstaller would not run on Windows 10, so I had to use Revo Uninstaller to remove 2013 before installing 2016.  If you can tell me how to completely eradicate all traces of TI 2013 and 2016 on Windows 10 Pro, I'll give your suggestion a try.

Forum Star

Try using the TI 2015 cleanup utility https://kb.acronis.com/content/48668 . It should work with TI 2016. Also check to see that the C:\Program Files (x86)\Acronis folder in deleted. The same for C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Acronis.

Beginner

I have actually tried 2 CLEAN Windows 8.1 installation on a Surface Pro 3 Intel i7.

When trying to install the Media Add-on, I get the error message as follows:

Please install and activate your version of Acronic True Image 2016 before you start the Media Add-on installation.  You can purchase a full version of Acronis True Image 2016 at:  http://www.acronis.com/personal/

I have tried the trial web version download and the full installation download.  Starting to suspect they have locked this out of the trial edition.

Forum Star

Wallace,

You are correct. The Media add-on is blocked for the trial version.

Beginner

Any suggestions to create a restore disk -- see other deails of me previous post.

Beginner

Wallace,

The trial version is a =trial= version.  Most applications that offer a trial version do not offer full functionality.  You are correct to monitor this thread for solutions to problems that you may face, but I can assure you that you will not probably not find a solution to this particular problem with a trial version.  Your option here is to purchase the full version (with full telephone support for 30 days), and if the required solution cannot be provided, you may request a refund within that time period.  The onus is unfortunately on you to find and fix a problem within 30 days.

Regards,

Tim

Forum Hero
Commenti: 9127

I can confirm issue with the TI Media Builder and the latest release of the Win 10 ADK 1511.  The Media Builder tool does not recognize the installation of this release of the Win 10 ADK.  Not sure about other builds/releases as I did not try them.  I suspect Microsoft changed something in this ADK that cause the TI Media Builder to not function correctly.

Forum Star

I've now been able to duplicate this problem. Sorry guys, I didn't realize the problem was created after Windows 10 gets upgraded to the latest build. I run Windows 10 Enterprise systems and do not allow them to get upgraded. I've done a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and allowed it to upgrade. I did a fresh install of the Windows 10 ADK, TI 2016 and the TI 2016 Media add-on. I'm now getting the same error.

I don't know what is causing the problem because I have no way of knowing what Acronis is checking. I'll continue to work on this and see if I can provide a solution. It may take some time. It doesn't look like an easy fix.

Forum Member
Commenti: 60

It looks like a bug. How can I report this bug to Acronis?

My support period expired.

EF
Beginner
Commenti: 6

Hi,

i got the exact same problem. Deinstall and new install did not change anything. Even installing it on a machine that didn´t have acronis installed at all shows the same problem.

As this is a clear hotfix scenario, how can we get a hotfix for this problem inside some day´s. I had a look to the .config .. files and registry, but couldn´t identify any key that may be changed. Maybe someone of you or the support can tell some details where to look. Even clear version numbers and the location there acronis expect to find the adk tool is helping to make sure that the right one is installed on the needed place.

As i have bought the update some days ago i should be eligible to get support.

Clear said:

A Backup Solution there you have no way to restore the backup data proberly is missing the numer one goal of a backup solution.

Any advice would be appriciated.

Forum Member

I installed Windows ADK v10.0.10240.16384 (downloaded in aug.) and now I can create a WINPE based usb stick.

EF
Beginner

Great news,

where did you get this version from. Can you pls provide a link?

did you deinstall the newest version or just install this one?

Many thanks

Forum Member

I downloaded it from Microsoft on 18-08-2015, just after installing the first Windows 10 version.

I deinstalled the newest version (v10.1.10586.0).

It is on my harddisk, but I think I'm not allowed to distribute it. (it is about 3 GB)

Perhaps Google or Bing.

Forum Star

I have a solution. I wrote a program to add TI 2016 to a standard WinPE. You can download it here: http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/MustangPEBuilder/Downloads/Files/AddTI_2016.zip . Unzip the download and follow the instructions in the ReadMeFirst.txt file. Don't try to modify any of the paths shown in the ReadMeFirst.txt file or it will not work. The paths in my program are hard coded. You shoud get a working WinPE.

Jan:

Thanks for the info that the original Windows 10 ADK is working in an upgraded Windows 10 system. Saves me from trying that. It also lets me know for sure that a change in the ADK is responsible for the problem. I still don't know if I'll be able to find the problem because I don't know what Acronis is checking.

EF
Beginner

great info. I will try it tomorrow.

EF
Beginner

Thx for the prompt reply. A first look at google, microsoft and msdn was not successful. I will have a look to the installation media of Windows 10. maybe it´s there.

Erwin

Forum Hero
Commenti: 9127

I can confirm the fix from Paul (Mustang) works perfectly, clean, simple, and fast.  Great work Paul!!!

Beginner
Commenti: 17

Its probably a registry key that Acronis Media Builder is looking for that the new version of AIK or ADK on Win10 isn't setting anymore. If anyone can figure out what that key is maybe this can be fixed..

Side Note: Until this is fixed Acronis on my X99 machine is useless in case where I have to do an emergency restore. I would have to pull the hard drive and connect it via usb adapter to my laptop and restore it via another Acronis copy.

Come on Acronis fix this!

Forum Member

You can try the fix from Paul (Mustang), post #20

Beginner

Thanks Mustang for your contribution! Your my hero! Thank you.

Forum Star

I can offer another solution. I installed the Windows 8.1 Update ADK and it worked. I have both the new Windows 10 ADK and Windows 8.1 Update ADK installed and there was no problem.

You can download the Windows 8.1 Update ADK here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=39982 .

I've also discovered the Universal Restore WinPE media builder will not work with the new Windows 10 ADK. This problem was also solved by installing the Windows 8.1 Update ADK.

Installing the Windows 8.1 Update ADK looks like the best solution for now. I have confirmed it has driver support for NVMe M.2 drives. It was able to see my Samsung 950 Pro SSD.

Regular Poster
Commenti: 413

http://blogs.technet.com/b/configmgrteam/archive/2015/11/20/issue-with-the-windows-adk-for-windows-10-version-1511.aspx

Due to issues with the latest ADK Microsoft is recommending the use of the original release.

Beginner

I can confirm that this solution works.  Thank you for your efforts Paul!

Beginner

Tried this this am but your TIHome2016.exe which i presume adds the needed TI files will not run properly on my machine. Everything else works. I get a bootable WinPE CD but no TI files on the CD.

Forum Star

Try disabling any anti virus software. Also try running TIHome2016.exe as Administrator.

Legend
Commenti: 11125

When unnzipping the "WinPE.zip" , it is very easy to unzip into the wrong location.

Do be sure to unzip into the correct path so final unzip result is

C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\ACRONIS\TRUEIMAGEHOME\BARTPE\FILES

I was succcessful in creating a 2016 winpe via the 8.1 ADK and TI Tools menu.

Allegato Dimensione
311751-123916.gif 12.69 KB
Beginner

Should have known that. Works fine. Thanks for your efforts to make this work!

Beginner
Commenti: 10

I tried it out with the Windows 8.1 Update ADK. Worked fine!

Many thanks to Paul, but not at all to Acronis. It took me some days to come to this solution. First I made a bootable USB drive (according to Acronis "simple" and "quick") which didn't work because the TI-Software could not recognize my C: Partition.

Reinhart

EF
Beginner

Hi,

i downloaded the ADK from the link provided from Mustang. Then i had first to deinstall the actual MS Version. Next step was a reboot and the installation of the ADK (6 GByte download took a looooong time). After all that actions, the build of the CD was working without errors. The CD itself was loading. When i selected to restore of a drive i could see all local disks of the workstation, but could not access the nas over the network, because the network was not offered. All i could select is a special "nas-connection", but there was nothing inside. Any idea how to get the network shown up to be able to select the backup files from the NAS? As a workaround i will copy the backup files to a USB Drive and attach it to the workstation.

Just for info. Starting from a normal Rescue Disk and select restore shows the network and i can access the nas. Unfortunately i cannot access the local NVMe Drives --> this was the initial failure that is now solved.

Thx to mustang for the solutions!

Erwin

Forum Star

Your network adapter is probably supported in WinPE. Try to map your NAS to a drive letter. Use the net use command to do this. Practice in Windows first until you get it to work. Open a command prompt as Administrator and enter net use /? for help.

Now boot into WinPE and try to map a drive letter to your NAS using the open command window and the same command you got to work in Windows.

A typical command to map a normal network share would be:

net use y: \\ComputerName\ShareName /user:UserName password

(The forum took the double backslash as a link. It is not.)

EF
Beginner

thx for the prompt response. as i´m out for business i will try this next week.

Beginner
Commenti: 1

Hello,

About the Mustang procedure, when I try to make bootable usb (MakeWinPEMedia /UFD "C:\winpe_amd64" F:)

I got this error "ERROR: Failed to format "F:"; DiskPart errorlevel -2147024809." The usb key is 32gb sandisk.

Thak you

Forum Star

The USB drive must be seen as a removable drive by Windows. Some USB drives are seen as fixed disks. They will not work. Some Sandisk drive need to have the proprietary software removed.

Look at Disk Management to see if the disk is listed as fixed or removable.

Beginner
Commenti: 10

@Cristian,

did you try to format your sandisk drive with windows just to be sure that the format command works with your drive?

Beginner

Acronis has issued an update to TI2016 (Build 6027) and also it's Media Builder which fixes the WinPE rescue disk creation problems. At least it worked for me!

Legend
Commenti: 26364

I had this issue with Acronis True Image 2016 build 5634 on Windows 10 with the latest ADK installed.

The ADK was fine as I was able to create WinPE media for AOMEI Backupper 3.2 on the same system.

After updating True Image 2016 to build 6027 this then recognised the installed ADK and let me create WinPE media though this did not find any installed disk drives dues to a corrupt System Recovery Manager.

Deactivating Acronis System Recovery Manager and uninstalling all Acronis True Image 2016 programs and add-ons, cleaning up the hidden system bootwiz & acroldr folders, and checking no residual files or registry entries, then restarting and re-installing True Image 2016 build 6027 plus add-ons for same, I have been able to successfully create WinPE recovery media and boot from this with full access to all my drive partitions.

Beginner

@Mustang,

Do you know how to boot the acronis restore iso as an efi app? Such that I can add it to my bios boot menu or load it from an efi shell?

Thanks

Legend

David, EFI will not allow you to boot from an ISO image but you can do so from a WIM image instead but this will require you to create a WinPE rescue WIM image to do this, as WIM is not available for the standard Linux based rescue media.

I have done this on my son's EFI laptop using the free EasyBCD utility to add the Acronis rescue WIM image to the boot loader.

Beginner

So there is no Acronis.efi program I can load at the efi shell command line? Oh well.

Beginner

Steve Smith wrote:

David, EFI will not allow you to boot from an ISO image but you can do so from a WIM image instead but this will require you to create a WinPE rescue WIM image to do this, as WIM is not available for the standard Linux based rescue media.

I have done this on my son's EFI laptop using the free EasyBCD utility to add the Acronis rescue WIM image to the boot loader.

Acronis actually has an option to create a 'startup recovery' boot environment that you get by pressing F11. Unfortunately its totally bugged and not compatible with my X99 system just as the normal recovery iso was bugged. I did make a WinPe version as per your instructions and that works great off of USB. Just experimenting with creating EFI apps that appear as boot entries for simplicity. 

Thanks

Legend

Hi David, unfortunately the standard Acronis Startup Recovery boot environment that you invoke by pressing the F11 key is a basic Linux based environment and in my experience is unable to access EFI systems / GPT partitions within same, hence I have disabled this on my son's EFI system and adopted the approach I described to create a WIM rescue image and add this to the boot entries that appear when he boots Windows 10 - the WIM image is by definition a WinPE image.

Forum Member
Commenti: 67

TI has serious problems, not the least of which is it's boot environment for modern EFI/GPT based systems. I needed backup/recovery software that worked without having to make it a "hobby". I switched to Macrium Reflect v6 Home Edition and it just works. Performance is orders of magnitude better. 

Beginner

Well I was able to figure out a working solution. I created a 500mb Fat32 partition on me second drive which is a ssd raid array upon which I copied all those Acronis Win Pe files I had created following the guide a few posts back. Now when I press the F11 boot menu key I can load the Acronis Recovery application super fast and quick from a boot entry that gets recognized as UEFI OS. I actually renamed it Acronis with the help of BCFG. So if I lose my main C: drive, god forbid, I can run the app straight from the recovery partition and not waste time looking for that usb key!