Salta al contenuto principale

Slow backup to NAS

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Commenti: 71

Hello,

when ATI 2016 backups up a drive partition to my NAS storage device, it is very slow.

QNAP TS-451A bandwidth monitor reports a transfer rate of about 19MB/s to max 39MB/s while a backup is runing,

whereas copying a 6.5 GB file using windows explorer, it reports 80 to 95MB/s transfer rate.

I've already followed https://kb.acronis.com/content/58000#9_Issue_Backup_to_NAS_interrupts8

issue #15 and I setup SMB3 protocol for the gigabit connection in NAS network management

however, Ethernet networking throughput is still pour.

Anyone has managed to solve this issue?

Thanks Bodo

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Commenti: 15489

Bodo, I would suggest looking at the backup task log to see if this shows any messages related to the slow speed writing to your NAS?

The comparison between Acronis doing a partition backup versus Explorer copying a single 6.5GB file is not a balanced comparison because large files will be expected to achieve a much higher transfer rate whereas the Acronis backup is moving data in smaller increments as it reads data from the volume snapshot and also waits on further snapshot data being provided to be written etc.

Have you checked what settings you have set for the Performance option in the Advanced tab configuration for your task?

Forum Member

Hello Steve, thanks for jumping in.

as for the Performance option, all tasks are configured to run with low priority and optimal Upload Speed.

I can try to experiment with these settings to see if it helps.

I also noticed that the transfer rate is about 80-90MB/s when ATI only validates the backup file.

Using the MVP Log viewer, I assume that backup task logs are under Log Type "Schedule2"?

However, I can't find any messages that are related to slow speed writing to my NAS.

Legend
Commenti: 15489

Bodo, in the MVP Log Viewer, the backup task logs should be found under the default top entry in the Log Type selection list.

The Schedule2 logs only relate to the Acronis Scheduler function, not the backup task itself.

The backup task logs for ATIH 2016 all have names starting with "Service_"

Forum Hero
Commenti: 6951

Data type can effect transfer speed over a network connection.  If your data is mostly small file sizes then transfer speed will be much slower than if file sizes are larger such as the 6.5GB file you mention.  On some network setups disabling Large Send Offload in the Network Adapter Advanced settings in Windows Device Manager helps with small sized file transfer.

Forum Member

I'm using ATI2017 and transfer speed for a full drive backup (planed) is still very slow. NAS (QNAP) monitor reports transfer rate 10-20 MB/s. which never exceeds 20 MB/s.

Compression of my ATI backup is set to normal, priority to high and upload speed to "optimal" and snapshot to VSS.

I played with different settings but this has no effect.

However, copying a 2GB mp4 file to/from NAS using windows explorer tansfer speed is around 80-100 MB/s.

SMB3 is enabled.

Forum Moderator
Commenti: 3991

bvu007 wrote:

I'm using ATI2017 and transfer speed for a full drive backup (planed) is still very slow. NAS (QNAP) monitor reports transfer rate 10-20 MB/s. which never exceeds 20 MB/s.

Compression of my ATI backup is set to normal, priority to high and upload speed to "optimal" and snapshot to VSS.

I played with different settings but this has no effect.

However, copying a 2GB mp4 file to/from NAS using windows explorer tansfer speed is around 80-100 MB/s.

SMB3 is enabled.

Hi! I'd recommend testing a free trial of Acronis True Image 2019 and if the issue still persists, report it via a support ticket at https://www.acronis.com/support/contact-us/