Salta al contenuto principale

windows 11 upgrade and Acronis - uninstall before upgrade?

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Commenti: 14

Hi guys :) .. apologies if this question has been asked before I looked and didn't see a windows 11 specific topic.

I have Acronis True Image 2017 installed onto a laptop with two hard drives and have created an acronis backup onto the second (not the C ) drive.    

I'm thinking it might be smart to uninstall paid programs like Acronis prior to using Windows update to run the upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on my Acer laptop (and then of course reinstall Acronis back onto the laptop once the Win 11 upgrade is complete and promptly do another backup).

I'm wondering however, if I uninstall Acronis from Windows, perform the Win 11 upgrade, and then something goes wrong such that I want to revert back to my backed  up Windows 10 install I made using Acronis... and if I'm booting from the recovery DVD I made rather than trying to perform the restoration through Windows... would I still be able to restore from the backup I made even though I have uninstalled Acronis from Windows 10 at that point?

(I'm thinking this is a stupid question and that since I'm booting from a DVD and not involving Windows at all that it probably won't matter :)  ... but I figured I would ask anyways to be on the safe side).

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this and replies :) 

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Commenti: 27545

Andre, there is no need to uninstall Acronis prior to doing the upgrade from Win 10 to 11.

You should make a full Disk backup before doing the upgrade and I would also recommend creating a new copy of Acronis Rescue Media too and testing that you understand how to boot your PC from this to do a disk recovery should it become necessary to do so.

Note: You should have up to 10 days from when you upgrade to Win 11 to be able to revert back to Win 10 via the options provided by Microsoft in the main Settings > Recovery options page.  After 10 days that option will be lost.

See KB 58816: Acronis True Image 2017: Creating Acronis Bootable Media - and KB 59184: Acronis True Image 2017: How to create a WinPE-based bootable media for more information on creating the media.

KB 59877: Acronis True Image: how to distinguish between UEFI and Legacy BIOS boot modes of Acronis Bootable Media

KB 59870: Acronis True Image: how to restore the system to the original disk from within running Windows

Forum Star
Commenti: 4740

Definitely a good idea to do a backup before upgrading to Windows 11. On one of my PCs the (attempted) upgrade trashed the C dive so badly that there was no way to get it to boot.

Ian

Beginner
Commenti: 14

Steve Ian thank you both so much for your replies :) .. and my apologies for the late response, I was expecting the acronis website to email me if someone commented.. maybe I clicked on the wrong thing as far as "watched thread" or the like ? :) 

I was guessing worst case scenario I just log into my acronis account, locate the license key associated with the laptop (you can bet I made a note of that to be on the safe side !  :)    Windows updates are scary like Ian said !  :)  )   and reassign it to the Win 11 laptop if need be.. I just was a bit nervous about Win 11 screwing things up to the point where Acronis would be like  " Uh, no , I'm staying with Win 10 and that's it , not transferring my license over to Win 11 ! " ... but that could be just paranoia on my part :) 

Yep, definitely practiced booting the laptop from rescue media and burned that media and added it to my toolkit too :)  this past year 2021... but it's true , I should probably create new rescue media in case there's been some kind of update put out for the 2017 Acronis version to be on the safe side.

Thanks again guys :)