Skip to main content

Accronis 2018 Conflicts with W10 x64 Insiders Update buildl 17017

Beginner
Комментарии: 2

Running Acronis True Image 2018 on Window 10 Insiders build 17017 D causes a severe problem in my X64 W10 Pro running desktop. It Runs OK on the previous Insiders build 17004.

It causes a BSOD (Green) with the error MGS "Terminal Server Driver  Made Incorrect Memory Reference"  Win2kbase.sys .

System then reboots every few minutes with the same  green BSOD message. Neither  could I use the W10 option to revert to the previous OS version (17004), nor use Acronis under W10 to revert my system drive to the last incremental, made just before the upgrade.

I had to use the 2017 rescue CD, as the 2018 rescue DVD does not detect my OS.

On the MS  Insiders Feedback hub many other Insiders are reporting having the same kind of problem also with older Acronis versions.

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Комментарии: 16129

Jan, welcome to these User Forums.

Please see forum topic: Crash W10 Insider preview 17017 where other users have been reporting this same issue - I would recommend opening a Support Case directly with Acronis so they understand the scope of this issue among users.

Legend

An update on this issue.

My computer with ATI 2018 was upgraded to the Insiders build 17017 today and when I attempt to perform a backup (Disks & Partitions) then it crashes out with the same Windows Kernel file memory exception error as in the linked post to the 2017 forum topic.

To check whether this problem was unique to ATI, I then tried to do a Backup using Macrium Reflect of the same disk & partitions and this too gave the same crash situation.

There are a number of open Support Cases for this Insiders 17017 issue but I suspect that the ultimate resolution will be from Microsoft when they issue the next insiders build!

Legend

The following reply received from Acronis Support on this issue:

Thank you for contacting Acronis Customer Central. 
My name is Praveen. I will be happy to help you.

As I understand, when you are performing the backup in Windows 10 Insider Build 17017, computer crashes.

Firstly, I would like to inform you that Acronis True Image 2018 does not support Windows 10 Insider Build, as this is not been tested. Acronis True Image 2018 has been tested and can be used in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and Windows 10 Creators Update with the latest build of Acronis True Image 2018.

Please let us know if this answers your query. Feel free to get back to us if you have any difficulties . We are always here to help you.

I look forward to your response. 

The case number for your reference is  03161339.

My reply to the above was:

Hello Praveen,
Sorry but where is it documented for users that ATIH 2018 does not support Windows 10 Insiders Builds?

This answer is not acceptable as there are many Acronis customers who are using Insiders builds of Windows 10 and they expect that Acronis Support and Development will also be testing their software products in these new environments before they get released to the general public as new regular Windows Updates, as has just happened with the Fall Creators Update 1709.

Insiders Build 17017 is simply the next build that Microsoft are now working on, and attempting to run ATIH 2018 to perform a disk & partitions backup on that build gives a BSOD crash.

Please ask the Acronis Developers to investigate this issue in more depth and provide a statement that this is either a Microsoft Windows core kernel driver issue or else it is a change that Microsoft are introducing which will break the ability of ATI to work correctly.

This issue is very easy to reproduce - simply enable Insiders Builds on the Windows 10 Settings panel and allow build 17017 to be installed.  I have reproduced the same issue on my own computer where I have a dual-boot system, one partition boots the Insiders Build while my second partition boots from the Fall Creators Update 1709.

I will await the next response to this issue!

In reply to by Steve Smith

Regular Poster
Комментарии: 301

I would hope the next Insider Build fixes this problem, because it isn't just 64-Bit, but 32-Bit version as well, since it produces the exact error message.

Beginner
Комментарии: 4

Well, usually software editors do not support beta version of OSes... Regarding the GSOD at boot for build 17017, you'll have to replace volsnap.sys in the windows\system32\driver folder by the one in windows.old\windows\system32\driver there is a thread in the windows insider forum related to this very subject.

Regular Poster
Комментарии: 338

Hello everyone,

Thank you for raising the topic.

Acronis True Image does not support beta builds of Windows.

The reason for it is that when such OS versions are released, they tend to have quite some issues that may affect the work of the software installed on these OS versions. During the test period, Microsoft will fix many of the issues reported and thus the software issues may be resolved as well.

We do test beta builds internally, however, only when we have a release candidate of the new Windows build, where all (or most of) the issues reported in beta are fixed, we are able to release an update for Acronis True Image stating the official support of the new Windows OS build.

Legend

Renata, thank you for your clear statement about the support of Windows Insiders / Beta OS versions.

Please can this be documented in an Acronis Knowledgebase document that users can be referred to should this same type of issue be reported in the forums in the future.  This would be preferable to having to refer users to an old forum topic such as this one where this statement is just one page in many other pages.

In reply to by Steve Smith

Regular Poster
Комментарии: 338

Hello Steve,

Yes, sure. I have already talked to the Knowledge Base team, we will have it documented.

Legend

Thanks Renata.

Beginner
Комментарии: 6

This still happens with the new Insider Build 17025. (using Acronis Backup 11.7 on 64 bit OS)

Forum Hero
Комментарии: 7021

I did some research on this and it appears that poster Guillaume Gerard in this thread posted the answer.  The Windows\System32\Driver\volsnap.sys file is at fault for these green screen issues.  The solution is to navigate to the Windows\System32\Driver folder, rename the volsnap.sys file to volsnap.old.  Then navigate to the Windows.old\System32\Driver folder, locate the volsnap.sys file there and copy that file into the Windows\Systme32\Drivers folder.  Once done Restart the PC and be patient while the system boots.

In reply to by Enchantech

Beginner

Thanks Enchantech and Guillaume Gerard. 

I just copied over an older version of volsnap.sys, restarted and tried the backup again. 

Got the same GSOD with the same error message. ?

I tried volsnap.sys version 10.0.16299.15, as I'm running 17025 and the version in my Windows.old is 10.0.17017.1000. 

Beginner

Well, this only fixed the GSOD loop at boot. Version that saved me was 17004.1000. So far no GSOD boot loop with 17025.

- Guillaume

Beginner
Комментарии: 3

True Image 2018 crash my laptop on Windows 10 17025.

I join print screen of error of dump files after GSOD.

Capture1.PNG

Вложение Размер
429169-139623.PNG 65.77 KB
Forum Hero

Users with issue of Acronis True Image 2018 crashing as related to this Windows Insider build may wish to try the following.

In the True Image GUI with Backup selected from the left column and a backup task selected from the middle column should select Options at the bottom of the GUI.  Then select the Advanced tab, scroll down to the bottom option which is Performance.  Expand Performance and look at Snapshot for backup.  Expand that and you will see four choices.  Preferably select Aconis Snapshot. 

The Volsnap.sys driver controls the snapshot manager for Microsoft VSS (Volume Shadow Copy Service) which by default True Image uses to create a backup.  Acronis Snapshot is True Images built in snapshot manager and should work independently of VSS.  This should work around the current problem in the Windows Insider build.

If that does not work for you then select No Snapshot.  This will cause backups to be run without creating a snapshot of the data chosen for backup.  This method may make your PC sluggish during a backup but it should avoid crashing the system.

Beginner

Thank you Enchantech for the info

Alas, no changes :-) tried no snap, acronis snap => same crash.

Best regards,

- Guillaume

Beginner

The problem is worse.

I just attempted to restore one of my images to a VM and Windows 10 crashed with exactly the same error message: TERMINAL_SERVER_DRIVER_MADE_INCORRECT_MEMORY_REFERENCE

What failed: win32kbase.sys.

I wasn't even backing up...

In reply to by Arthur Hoffmann

Regular Poster

Hi @ Arthur Hoffmann  ,

I wasn't even backing up...

Yes, you were. When you restart the computer from a crash, when attempting to create an Acronis Image and the Acronis image fails to be created. When the operating system, reaches the Desktop, Acronis is still running in the background, trying to create that image.

I do not work with VMs, just Windows partitions. I went back to Build 16299.15 and paused Updates. I will try the next Build after 17025.1000.

In reply to by thecreator

Beginner

Hi the creator, 

I wasn't running a backup. I run my backups manually and not scheduled.

So far the crash has only ever happened when I attempted to run a manual backup of the live system. 

As an aside: To do my backups now, while VSS is not working, I'm using the Acronis recovery DVD to start the PC and run it offline. 

Anyway,  the PC was running fine all day. 

What I was trying to do before the GSOD,  was to convert an existing Acronis backup file to a VMware disk image file, so basically just file conversion. Both files are on the external disk. As there was no live system back up happening, there would be no need to use any kind of VSS. 

Beginner

Same issue still after the Upgrade tp 17025. Als went OK until I attempted to run an Acronis 2018 again . Still keeps (on rebooting after . Ran System_true_image .exe that I downloaded according an article Support had sent me. Have sent  the file to support as requested.

Support did request multiple times to run the Acronis System_report for 2018, which starts but never finishes until I cancel it (after hours!!).

Support also asked to run MS's  Sysinternals  Sysmon.exe  in order  to monitor until the crash would occur but since the system crashes with a BSOD  I was not able to save the running monitor run file.

Reinstalled Acronis True Image 2018_9850 ( from the link I got from support).

Tested again an got the same  BSOD  repeating again. I was able to revert to the previous OS (16299 which should be equal to the now worldwide released W10 update, using the normal W10 function to do so.

Holding MS backups for the moment anyway to avoid further troubles.

Call is not closed also "

you may share the following reports if the issue occurs again and please ensure that you keep the Acronis software updated as our developers work on the current version.

"

But I also think that it's MS that needs to fix it, as Acronis still runs OK under  build 16299.

JanB

Forum Hero

Yeah, this is a Microsoft problem.  It happens with preview builds, they modify or change something and it breaks.  Part of being on the Fast Track in Preview builds are experiences such as these.  It is a waiting game now!

In reply to by Enchantech

Beginner
Комментарии: 5

Not only fast track, SLOW track! ;(

Regular Poster

HI @ Noisy and All,

Aside from crashing when trying to do an image, from within the operating system, with Acronis, it seems to be a good Build, but I went back to Build 16299.15, where Acronis worked.

We should not have to use the Bootable Rescue CD or another operating system on the same computer.

Lots of Users, don't Dual-Boot their computers and think that you are talking Greek to them when mentioning the Acronis True Image or Dual-Booting.

Beginner
Комментарии: 5

Hi TheCreator.

I don't think anyone in the thread was saying this problem arose from dual booting. Steve said that is how he reproduced the issue but this is only arising from a Windows Insider update.

I personally was talking about the windows insider update pace for builds. I have not skipped ahead to the new build and am only on the slow pace insider updates for fixes and drivers. Acronis made it sound like this was only occurring to those who were skipping ahead to the next insider build or were on the fast ring for updates. This is not the case.

If someone is having this problem, they already should know what those things are. I personally HAD to update to fix a driver issue for video rendering.

Microsoft support said that any underlying changes within my build (slow ring) should be considered RC. This means that Acronis will most likely have to provide an update, not Microsoft.

In reply to by Noisy

Regular Poster

HI @ Noisy ,

I will wait until someone comes up with a fix, but continue to use Acronis to restore the image of the previous Build from another operating system. It is faster restoring.

Besides, I can use the computer and my Browser, while it restores. Can't with the Rescue CD.

Beginner

Just want to add... I experienced this issue while I was on the fast build... so I reverted back to build 16299, and changed my update preferences to slow... I was updated to 17025 yesterday, and have the same exact problem as described in this thread.  I've since reverted back to 16299, but would have thought MS & Acronis would have worked through the issue at this point as it's been present for quite a while.

In reply to by Stephen Nye

Regular Poster
Комментарии: 125

I was updated to 17025 today. All seems to be working well. No crashes ..... yet.

In reply to by Michael Kenward

Regular Poster

Hi @ Michael Kenward ,

Build 17025.1000 is solid, until you clean the operating system, remove Windows.old, since you don't need it to go Back, using Acronis True Image.

Still Solid, no crashes.

Now use Acronis and do an Full Image Backup with Comments explaining what is in the Image, if you are a detail person.

Click Backup Now. Within 10 minutes or shorter the Build crashes.

I get Stop Code: TERMINAL_SERVER_DRIVER_MADE_INCORRECT_MEMORY_REFERENCE

What failed: win32kbase.sys

https://aka.ms/M577ko

32-Bit Build 17017.1000 from a different partition - TERMINAL_SERVER_DRIVER_MADE_INCORRECT_MEMORY_REFERENCE

https://aka.ms/H6t6k9

32-Bit Build 17025.1000 - Major Crash

Note: Both 32-Bit and 64-Bit versions of Build 17025.1000 Crash with the same error code.

And while I am posting here, I notice a Faint Trace of the Previous Window that is left on the screen when the Window is closed. Right-click and click Refresh removes it.

https://aka.ms/Fyywn9

Refresh Screen - 64-Bit Build 17025.1000

Regular Poster

And while I am posting here, I notice a Faint Trace of the Previous Window that is left on the screen when the Window is closed. Right-click and click Refresh removes it.

Confirmed that one.

Beginner
Комментарии: 1

hi @All 

Acronis 2018 build 9850 

Windows 1709  (17025.1000) slow insider

x64 

no antivirus

CRASH .... 

i tried another things

(poor french guy)

Legend

Regular Poster

Probably nothing to do with Acronis, but I had to roll back because that build was crashing every few minutes after an hour or so of no problems.

KnowledgeBase 60589 is worthless. It tells us nothing new and nothing about this build.

Just the usual "covering our derriere" guff.

Regular Poster

Hi @ Michael Kenward ,

Probably nothing to do with Acronis, but I had to roll back because that build was crashing every few minutes after an hour or so of no problems.

Exactly, but wrong if you had set up Acronis to image the partition prior to the operating system first crashing.

If you restarted the computer back into the same operating system, and open up Acronis, it was trying to still complete the image.

Don't forget to turn off Automatically restart, otherwise you don't see the Error Stop Code or What failed.

To turn off, uncheck Automatically restart.

2017-11-05 - Startup & Recovery.jpg

Regular Poster

Exactly, but wrong if you had set up Acronis to image the partition prior to the operating system first crashing.

I hadn't.

And what's that screen grab for Windows 7 got to do with a Windows 10 "beta"?

I don't dual-boot this PC.

Regular Poster

Hi @ Michael Kenward ,

No, but I Dual-boot between Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit SP1, Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-Bit and Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 32-Bit and with Windows 7 controlling the Boot Manager, not necessary to restart the computer. With Windows 10 64-Bit, the Default operating system and when I go into Windows 10 32-Bit operating system, the computer reboots, before it starts into Windows 10 32-Bit system.

I can switch the Default operating system, especially when getting the New Build, where Windows 10 controls the Boot Manager.

That screen grab was grabbed from Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit operating system. I could have switched it, but decided for a conversation piece. :)

I take screenshots of the Blue and Green Screens  with a Digital Camera and send it using the Feedback Hub, so they can see what I saw.

Beginner

With the brandnew Insider 17035, the Crashs have gone, i can use Acronis 2018 now again without any Errors

Beginner

Today I got the W1o insiders  preview update 17035 to W10 64 pro X64 (NL).

Created an ISO from the downloaded content  with UUPtoISO just  before the requested restart and ran an incremental just before starting the upgrade.

Needed an inside update, as the normal upgrade procedure  reverted back, after a reboot whent installing updates was at 44%.

Atempted an incremental upgrade  after the update and did not get the issue again.

Thanks MS!

In reply to by Jan Boers

Regular Poster

Hi @ Jan Boers ,

Even though, it is available for use, why would you choose to do the incremental Backup?

The Incremental Backup takes up more room on the Hard Drive for storage, then the Full Backup Schemes do.

Legend

Morton, I think that Jan was talking about how he got the Insiders build 17035 installed via an incremental update rather than doing an Incremental Backup.

My own update to 17035 took two tries before it stuck, though that may have been partly my cause as I did a Disk System Files cleanup to get rid of the Windows.OLD folder from the prior 17025 upgrade to make more space for 17035, as the two came very close together on that computer!

The good news was that 17035 looks to have cured the BSOD / GSOD issues when trying to do ATI backups.

Beginner

I can also confirm that build 17035 has stopped the GSOD when doing backups with Acronis TrueImage 2018.

Regular Poster

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17035 for PC - Windows Experience BlogWindows Experience Blog

PLEASE NOTE: Due to a bug that causes PCs with AMD processors to bugcheck during upgrading to current builds, we are blocking PCs with AMD processors from receiving this build. We are investigating and working to fix so we can remove this block.

So don't rush if you have an AMD CPU.

Legend

Thanks Michael, I also read that note but fortunately have mainly Intel processors (by preference) except for some very old iron which is running Linux anyway!

Regular Poster

I'm on Intel for my main PC. I just have some old AMD stuff lying around, including the PC that I use to play around on. I'm not about to run beta software on my main kit, for the reasons demonstrated in this discussion.

Regular Poster
Комментарии: 81

I meant to post this in the ABA forum.

In reply to by Lester Ingber

Regular Poster

Hi @ Lester Ingber ,

You are running on an Old Insider Preview that no one left installed, because it always crashed when attempting to Backup using Acronis.

Go back to the Public Release of Windows 10, or upgrade to the latest Insider Preview Build that doesn't crash when backing up.

Plus the fact that you are running an old Build of Acronis, posting in a Acronis True Image 2018 thread.

Beginner
Комментарии: 15

I wondered how Acronis 12.5 fitted in with a discussion of Acronis 2018. Isn't there a section for that? 

Regular Poster

Hi   Michael Kenward  , :)

Yes, it is a Business Product:  https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acronis-business-products-discussions/acronis-backup-125

And Happy New Year All in 2018.